[Firmware Stock] OTA MECOOL M8S PRO L ANDROID 7.1 AMLOGIC S912

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trebor View Post
    10c + drop by adding this quick and dirty mod, thermal Pad copper plate, another pad a plate..
    Fits Snug, look at base of inside Box you can see an area that looks like it was made for something square ?
    With ethernet or Wifi temp has jumped up to 43c at idle

So you could not remove the original heat sink from the CPU??
    MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Think you will find it a mix of Firmware and hardware with Hi temps

Idle temp here is about 10c too high as compared to some good 912 firmware/hardware me thinks
      Idle here is about 55c/130F +/- should be closer to 40c/100F +/- at idle.

Heat sink here is on Solid, may try alloy plate and thermal pad underneath and some thicker Feet/Pads to get it up a little higher.
      Running Kodi right now, and it is showing 199/201 degrees F. Guess I am going to shut it down.

Edit: The box does not feeling hot, warm but not hot.
      MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

A friend of mine has the YokaTV KB2 Pro with the same S912 but he didn't experience any overheating issue. Could be due to poor ventilation and/or poor heatsink on the M8S Pro L. Hmm..

Comment

I did this mod to the yoka KB2 many over 12 months ago it was a hotty, Luckily it had a metal so cooling was easy
          Click, More to do with software background task and may be a little hardware

treboR
          Please consider
          Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Thanks for posting that OTA update (V.928), Trebor. I tried it out and - speed-wise - found it a noticeable improvement over the earlier factory rom. Snappier around the menus, with some nice extras like selectable display color space. Leanback launcher too. Didn't notice any heat issues after running 4k YouTube videos for a couple of hours. However, I did find network bothersome - specifically more buffering of high bitrate clips and too many dropped connections. These hiccups happened on both 5ghz wifi and LAN on the same connections I've used previously without issues. Didn't test further, but simply reverted to Magendanz ATV, where all is well once more... Waiting to see if M decides to update his fine rom with the new base -- that would be the way to go.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, I'll be updating my Nexus TVStock ROM so that it's built on this latest OEM release next week (after I return home from the weekend visiting family in Boston).

Originally posted by Zahir View Post
            Thanks for posting that OTA update (V.928), Trebor. I tried it out and - speed-wise - found it a noticeable improvement over the earlier factory rom. Snappier around the menus, with some nice extras like selectable display color space. Leanback launcher too. Didn't notice any heat issues after running 4k YouTube videos for a couple of hours. However, I did find network bothersome - specifically more buffering of high bitrate clips and too many dropped connections. These hiccups happened on both 5ghz wifi and LAN on the same connections I've used previously without issues. Didn't test further, but simply reverted to Magendanz ATV, where all is well once more... Waiting to see if M decides to update his fine rom with the new base -- that would be the way to go.
            Install CPU temp app from Aptoid, and see what your temps are. It has a setting for overlay, so it is always on the screen. My box has been hitting over 200 degrees F, if this is in fact a true measure.

Comment

Originally posted by Zahir View Post
              am currently on magendaz M8S_PRO_L-ota-20170918.111557.V0619-fixed.zip ( idle temp at 65 celsius.. want to try the new OEM... do i need to wipe data before updating ( i dont want to have to reinstall kodi
              or the pther apps

Comment

Please help with the issue. Was running Mecool M8S Pro L TVStock Nexus ROM (Android TV 7.1) on my S912 L 3G/32GB was working fine and attempted to upgrade to latest OTA firmware from TWRP and getting errors; also will longer load any OS. Only have working TWRP.
                Tried using all related firmware to S912 with no luck. I'm new to this but I'm assuming partitions may be the issue. Please assist.
                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The OEM OTA update has a bug in the updater-script that prevents it from installing on TWRP custom recovery. I'll publish a fix when I return home, but if you're in a hurry you can edit the Edify script yourself. Just comment out the lines with the getprop() commands which abort if device doesn't match what is expected or build date is newer than allowed.

You'll need to unpack the .zip file and compress it when done, keeping the same file hierarchy. It will no longer be signed with the correct signature, but TWRP allows you to install without that as long as the Verify Signature option is left unchecked.

Ref: https://source.android.com/devices/t...nside_packages

Thank you Magendanz, eagerly awaiting for your new update.

Comment

Is there a list anywhere of the actual changes and fixes in the latest OEM firmware update?
                  Anyone have screenshots of the new launchers it comes with?

Being new to tv boxes, i would assume the easiest way is to download the OTA update, copy it to microsd and point to it via the OTA update app ?

I dont really want to try the whole pc flash method and stuffing around with the tutorials i have seen.

How come this is not available direct from them when you press check for updates?

Cheers

Comment

Firmware OTA :

M8S_PRO_L-ota-20171109.180937.V0928

Thanks to those in the know....

Also Found and
                    blog.geekbuiyng

PC Flash Firmware
                    M8S_PRO_L-NHG47L-20170918.111557.V0619.

OTA Update Firmware
                    M8S_PRO_L-ota-20170918.111557.V0619
                    If I put the update on a USB and go to the update app on the box do I have to check off the 2 boxes for wipe data and wipe media for it to update??

Comment

Originally posted by RobertK View Post

If I put the update on a USB and go to the update app on the box do I have to check off the 2 boxes for wipe data and wipe media for it to update??

Would also like to know this and is this latest firmware from geekbuying ok to update i am on magendaz stock rom (after using the nexus rom) so maybe twerp is already on my system
                      Note have fixed the overheating put a 5v sub fan underneath now running at 50 Celsius running kodi

Comment

Hi,

Had to use Terminal (reboot recovery) to Update from OEM V0619 as the stupid UPDATE App just switched Off each time and never installed ??

New V0928 is running no cooler than OEM V0619

New V0928 has no APP Drawer, like a great Magendanz ATV ROM has, so I have had to install SideLoad Launcher and that is not as neat to my mind !

Some useful (and not so useful) apps now have Leanback Icons (DRM etc.) but I liked to have my least used apps hidden in the drawer - Now they sit in the long line all the time !! I think I would have to uninstall them and reinstall the old pre-ATV versions if I could be bothered ...

I def. prefer the Magendanz implementation of ATV.

OEM also missing the Double-Click HOME function to get a Recent App Switcher thingy !
                        Last edited by P.X; 11-14-2017, 17:30.

Comment

the new v0928 keep giving my crc error in winrar and will not install from recovery...whay is the download corrupted. I read that other people in this thread have managed to install it.

Comment

Just FYI, I was able to recover my original bricked M8S Pro L using Mask ROM mode and this .img file posted by geekbuying : http://geekbuying.mediafire.com/file...1557.V0619.img

Checking with DRMInfo, both the Widevine L1 and HDCP 1.x keys were intact after the recovery. (We had some concerns that the hard eMMC reset might wipe those, but it seems those concerns were unfounded.)

NOTE: This .img file is for 20170918.111557.V0619 OEM firmware, but I'm uploading 20171109.180937.V0928 now.

Comment

Working...
                            X