Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mecool KM8 P firmware request

Hello!

I have this KM8 P 2/16 which i would really like to put a non TV version on. I can see it is firmware compatible with the Yoka KB2. Are there any other models it is firmware compatible with? And can any of you point me to the least buggy 7.1.x image (stock or custom, either works for me) that it will run?

Thank you in advance!

I use the firmware for m8s pro ATV:

But do note that WiFi will not work with this firmware.
    I guess u can use non-ATV version as well.

Comment

Let me try that later today - as long as ethernet works, wifi is not all that important. Thank you for the idea!

Comment

Yup, that works exactly as i was hoping for. I can deal without the wifi. The app/window transition delays take a bit to get used to, but it's a small price to pay.

Thank you so very much!

Comment

Originally posted by t23 View Post
          Yup, that works exactly as i was hoping for. I can deal without the wifi. The app/window transition delays take a bit to get used to, but it's a small price to pay.

Thank you so very much!
          Hello, how did you flash that firmware? Been trying that, boot card maker, but when i just insert the sd card, it boots normally. If i push the reset button,it will update for a second, then it's bricked again. Only thing i haven't tried yet,is pushing the reset button just a fraction of a second.

Comment

I modified the update script inside the firmware zip. There's one line where it checks the existing device name, which i simply deleted, then put the install script back into the zip. After that, the updater will install it (i did it with TWRP but the Update app should handle it as well).

The script to modify is something like META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script (inside the zip archive).

Comment

I modified the update script inside the firmware zip. There's one line where it checks the existing device name, which i simply deleted, then put the install script back into the zip. After that, the updater will install it (i did it with TWRP but the Update app should handle it as well).

The script to modify is something like META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script (inside the zip archive).
              I think twrp should work. But when i install/run the twrp.zip in recovery, it just can't mount the external sd card. And you need to have that mounted. Seems the mountpoints of the twrp recovery is ****ed up. But if that would work, yes, then i could install the m8s zip file.
              Now,i'm using the km8 p android 6.0.1 firmware and it's speedy and has all the options.

I do have a newer twp version. I could copy that on the internal sd card somewhere and install it through twrp.zip to the recovery partition. Maybe the mountpoiints of that newer twrp are correct. Am having the 1gb/8gb version of the km8 p. Is it any use upgrading to the m8s 7.1.2 wifiless rom?

Might be a bit simple, but if you replace some extra files in the m8s zip fle, you might have wifi back again: https://mega.nz/#F!WxUzSY5a!cO-TLOZE...-SG3w!fpEznShI
              Last edited by mark-1978; 06-15-2018, 14:54.

Comment

Cannot check this right now, but an issue i ran into before was that TWRP was bigger than the recovery partition size. It might be the case with the 1/8 model, and if you are fine with 6.0.1, i would just stick to that if i was you - too much hassle having to repartition for something you are going to use twice in your life.

Also, thanks for the kernel module - next time i boot my KM8P i will insmod it and see what happens.

Comment

You could just change the mountpoinst of the twrp.zip file and install the firmware with that.

Comment

Sure, but i want to test it before doing an install .. besides, i know where to put it by hand.

Comment

Sure, but i want to test it before doing an install .. besides, i know where to put it by hand.
                      How large is the km8 p recovery partition?

Comment

32MB with the Magendanz firmware for M8S Pro.

Comment

32MB with the Magendanz firmware for M8S Pro.
                          but the twrp recovery files are only 13MB, that should fit.When flashing the twrp image, it doesn't give an error message. I used the q20 somethng twrp version. Zou je uit kunnen leggen hoe je die m8s firmware nou op de km8 p kunt flashen? Trouwens openelec kun je er misschien ook op installeren.
                          Last edited by mark-1978; 06-16-2018, 12:26.

Comment

If you want plain Android, you want the M8S Pro Nano OTA ZIP (Nano is best since you have the 1/8).
                            If you want Android TV, you want the M8S Pro TVStock OTA ZIP.

In both cases you want to unzip the file and edit META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script - delete this section:
                            ((file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.product.device") == "M8SPRO") ||
                            (file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.product.device") == "M8S_PRO")) ||
                            abort("E3004: This update package is intended only for the M8S PRO.");
                            (file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.version.sdk") == "25") ||
                            abort("E3003: This update package is intended only for Nougat builds (SDK 25).");

Zip it back together, put it on your SD card (which should be FAT32 formatted), run the UPDATE app and install it as local update. A data wipe is recommended.

Your only alternative is splicing two USB cables together and using the USB burning method - works every time, but takes a bit of preparation obviously.

Comment

If you want plain Android, you want the M8S Pro Nano OTA ZIP (Nano is best since you have the 1/8).
                              If you want Android TV, you want the M8S Pro TVStock OTA ZIP.

In both cases you want to unzip the file and edit META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script - delete this section:
                              ((file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.product.device") == "M8SPRO") ||
                              (file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.product.device") == "M8S_PRO")) ||
                              abort("E3004: This update package is intended only for the M8S PRO.");
                              (file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.version.sdk") == "25") ||
                              abort("E3003: This update package is intended only for Nougat builds (SDK 25).");

Zip it back together, put it on your SD card (which should be FAT32 formatted), run the UPDATE app and install it as local update. A data wipe is recommended.

Your only alternative is splicing two USB cables together and using the USB burning method - works every time, but takes a bit of preparation obviously.
                              When i remove the m8spro things, rezip it and update with it, it gives some check error, twrp needs to be installed to get passed this. When i usb download the img, it starts nagging about some ddr.
                              The 1GB/8GB version was a bit cheap back then compared to the 2GB/16GB, maybe there are more hardware differences, so also not compatible.

Comment

Working...
                              X