Mecool M8S Pro L Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mecool M8S Pro L Linux

Is there any Linux distro that works on Mecool M8S Pro L ?
    I'm interested in running a Quake 3 Arena dedicated server on this box...
    Thanks in advance.

found this armbian thread and followed the steps, but nothing happens when I try to boot it from the USB stick
    it just sits at Nexus logo forever if the stick is plugged in

Comment

Originally posted by apoklyps3 View Post
      found this armbian thread and followed the steps, but nothing happens when I try to boot it from the USB stick
      it just sits at Nexus logo forever if the stick is plugged in
      That is usually because you have the wrong device tree. I have never installed Linux on my "L" box, so not sure what dtb to use.
      MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

tried a few dtb files , but still no go. the it skips the bootlogo and goes to black screen. maybe none of the are compatible with Mecool M8S PRO L...

Comment

I'm on custom rom if it makes any difference. Magadanz nano nexus rom...

Comment

Sometimes its take guite long to boot. So when you see the black screen just wait for 15min or so. It should boot.
            Everything is possible if we work together!
            ApkFreak

Comment

I think I'm ready to give up now...
              been trying for the past 3 days with no result.
              tried so many armbian images and dtb files, can't even get the black screen to show up anymore.
              one thing it makes me suspect the custom rom is because it comes with twrp wich says invalid zip file format for aml_update.zip when I try to flash it
              wish it was more user-friendly...
              Last edited by apoklyps3; 07-19-2018, 02:12.

Comment

Install CoreELEC and see if that works.
                MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

You may also want to have a look at the work of balbes150?

Some examples are here and here(Scroll to **New Directions Start Here**).

You may already be familiar with balbes150, from the Armbian forum.

Comment

that is where I was looking, but like I said I can't flash aml_autoscript.zip with twrp, the recovery wich Magendanz Nano Rom comes with.
                    It says invalid zip file format
                    Last edited by apoklyps3; 07-20-2018, 08:54.

Comment

fixed...had to use 3.14 kernel image.
                      seems the newer ones are not compatible with USB booting on s912.

Comment

how about the dtb file, what dtb file did you used ?

Comment

Hi

Comment

fixed, as you said, switch to 3.14 kernel

Comment

I have installed the latest coreelec https://github.com/CoreELEC/CoreELEC...s/tag/8.95.4.2 download the img.gz for the S912, use rufus to burn to a separate usb.

After burning, in the device tree folder, you need the gxm_q200_3g.dtb copy this to the root, then rename it to dtb.img

Plug in the usb to the Mecool, there is no reset button, so I used a Android Terminal emulator. "reboot update"

After a few seconds, it will boot from the usb into Coreelec. You will need a keyboard to go through the initial setup, ie network.

Then reboot, bear in mind, the remote might not work. I use a Logitech 350.

go to the coreelec forum for any more help

Comment

Working...
                              X