Beware, bad caps!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beware, bad caps!

Found my issues with my box. For some time now i have been battling issues with random odd lockups, failure to boot proper both by system and sd card.

Found a bad component and properly replaced to get the 5v circuit for USB and other parts of the secondary system.

To recollect how the boot issues took a bit of time to correct it's self and become operational again. Sometimes overnight and others a few days later. Tried freezing, and no quick change from failure. The only thoughts were caps. But i discharged the residual voltage stored in each one, before trying.

After a bit of trial with getting my board running again, two caps showed failure issues, slightly bulged tops . Oddly enough the caps used were not your standard surface mount types. They were standard electrolitics through hole mounted, on a like surface mount base. Never seen them before, but assumed they were surface mount.

Unfortunately when trying to remove them, i had wiped out parts of my 1v and 1.8 volt power supply circuits. The ground plane on the mini board was too great for my iron, and needed to have more heat, making wee components hot, before the item in question was heated enough. Thus, a slight bump or slip would cause components to shift or fall away.

i think i can repair the circuits with replacement components, but it will take some time and a wee push to be so motivated. We are talking grains of sand placement of a few resistors. And I no longer work in a repair station environment.

anywho, them caps don't belong on such boards, as electrolitics have a short shelf and operational life. I should have known better, but rare as it is, new caps shouldn't fail, unless design around them is not good.

Donno, but every board shown online does not use the cheaper caps, and probably will never need replaced.

The next box i get, will be sent back if i see electrolitic caps used like the board i got in my box.
Working...
X