Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minixfreak View Post

Revised version I put more processing on gpu for better video quality
    I see a lot of tweaks related to that, but the particular property that is causing the Stress CPU app to not use the 4 1.5GHz cores is: sys.use_fifo_ui=1.

I don't believe this has anything to do with processing on the GPU vs CPU unless I'm missing something. That particular property is supposedly just related to which scheduler the UI and RenderThreads use. It changes those to run on SCHED_FIFO instead of SCHED_OTHER.

Supposedly this property can make the UI more smooth (removes jitter), but Google says to only use this property if the RT scheduler is capacity-aware:

When sys.use_fifo_ui is enabled, ActivityManager tracks the UI thread and RenderThread (the two most UI-critical threads) of the top application and makes those threads SCHED_FIFO instead of SCHED_OTHER. This effectively eliminates jitter from UI and RenderThreads; the traces we've gathered with this option enabled show runnable times on the order of microseconds instead of milliseconds.

However, because the RT load balancer was not capacity-aware, there was a 30% reduction in application startup performance because the UI thread responsible for starting up the app would be moved from a 2.1Ghz gold Kryo core to a 1.5GHz silver Kryo core. With a capacity-aware RT load balancer, we see equivalent performance in bulk operations and a 10-15% reduction in 95th and 99th percentile frame times in many of our UI benchmarks.
    I have a feeling that the RT scheduler being used is not capacity aware, or there is some other issue with it, and this is causing the scheduler to delegate/force the Stress CPU threads (which would likely be background tasks -- and therefore considered lower-priority) to the lower frequency cores.

The end result may be that the UI is a bit smoother (microseconds vs milliseconds), but that anything not running in the foreground may be unable to use the 1.5GHz cores in this big.LITTLE AML architecture on my T95z plus and may take much longer to complete. I suspect this issue would be limited specifically to systems that have cores running at different speeds such as the 4 1.5GHz cores and the 4 1GHz cores.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by kontrabandee View Post

I see a lot of tweaks related to that, but the particular property that is causing the Stress CPU app to not use the 4 1.5GHz cores is: sys.use_fifo_ui=1.

I don't believe this has anything to do with processing on the GPU vs CPU unless I'm missing something. That particular property is supposedly just related to which scheduler the UI and RenderThreads use. It changes those to run on SCHED_FIFO instead of SCHED_OTHER.

Supposedly this property can make the UI more smooth (removes jitter), but Google says to only use this property if the RT scheduler is capacity-aware:

I have a feeling that the RT scheduler being used is not capacity aware, or there is some other issue with it, and this is causing the scheduler to delegate/force the Stress CPU threads (which would likely be background tasks -- and therefore considered lower-priority) to the lower frequency cores.

The end result may be that the UI is a bit smoother (microseconds vs milliseconds), but that anything not running in the foreground may be unable to use the 1.5GHz cores in this big.LITTLE AML architecture on my T95z plus and may take much longer to complete. I suspect this issue would be limited specifically to systems that have cores running at different speeds such as the 4 1.5GHz cores and the 4 1GHz cores.

Thoughts?

your expertise in code analysis seems far beyond my small skills. in my mind it is logical that the background tasks are managed by the cpus slower and applications requiring performance such as games, emulators, streaming video application are powered by the most powerful processors.

Comment

So, I'm assuming I'm being an idiot here but...

I've a Minix Neo u9-h and I've installed this S912 ROM. The ROM works fine and I can get into TWRP with the toothpick method. As I've found out the USB ports don't work (using the OTG trick for remote for now) so I'm trying to flash antonio6o6 modified ROM with working USB.

Only problem is I can't get the Amlogic Burning tool to recognise the device now - it worked just fine until I flashed this ROM. Now, holding power for 6 seconds just boots the box up normally, using TV Boot to boot into bootloader mode just sits with Poison logo (and no detection) and toothpick trick boots into TWRP - again, no detection from Burning Tool.

Am I doing something wrong?! How else can I update? Can it be done from TWRP? I don't currently have access to an SD card to try the Amlogic Card Maker method.

Thanks in advance...

Comment

Originally posted by thewoza View Post

I've a Minix Neo u9-h and I've installed this S912 ROM. The ROM works fine and I can get into TWRP with the toothpick method. As I've found out the USB ports don't work (using the OTG trick for remote for now) so I'm trying to flash antonio6o6 modified ROM with working USB.

Only problem is I can't get the Amlogic Burning tool to recognise the device now - it worked just fine until I flashed this ROM. Now, holding power for 6 seconds just boots the box up normally, using TV Boot to boot into bootloader mode just sits with Poison logo (and no detection) and toothpick trick boots into TWRP - again, no detection from Burning Tool.

Am I doing something wrong?! How else can I update? Can it be done from TWRP? I don't currently have access to an SD card to try the Amlogic Card Maker method.

Thanks in advance...
          I'm no expert on this, but my understanding is that if you don't have a TWRP backup of your original firmware and can't find one online exactly matching your hardware, then you have 2 options: SD card (as you mentioned), or shorting the NAND pins and then plugging in the USB->USB adapter to try to get it detected properly in USB Burn Tool.

The location of the NAND pins that have to be shorted is dependent on the hardware and I don't see any info anywhere on the location of these pins for your specific box (or any Minix Neo).

Your best bet is probably to try to buy or borrow an SD card and go that route (unless someone else has info on the NAND pin location and you are comfortable opening the box and doing that).

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks in advance...
            Thanks kontrabandee

Update - can get the box recognised in burning tool by holding the power button for 6 seconds - only issue is that the ROM boots up as normal and windows crashes once the ROM has fully loaded. I don't want to risk hitting the flash button as soon as possible in case of a crash mid flash

Comment

Thanks in advance...
              I am working on that TWRP? To see if I can get it fixed remember I'm not a extra I'm learning

Comment

Thanks kontrabandee

Update - can get the box recognised in burning tool by holding the power button for 6 seconds - only issue is that the ROM boots up as normal and windows crashes once the ROM has fully loaded. I don't want to risk hitting the flash button as soon as possible in case of a crash mid flash
                Ya, if Windows is actually crashing, I wouldn't chance it. I'm not sure it's possible to actually fully brick an AML device to where shorting the NAND pins wouldn't work, but still probably not worth the risk.

I know when I use USB Burn Tool, I don't supply power to mine (T95Z plus), but when I connect the USB, it does actually start to boot up. I think all boxes are likely different (even between versions/revisions and even depending on what exactly is flashed on it at the time), but for mine, I had to start the flash, it would start to boot up, then it would automatically disconnect from PC. I wouldn't touch Burn Tool (it's still trying to flash at that point) and I had to unplug the USB and plug it back in and it would then properly flash (it actually disconnects/reconnects a couple of times as well during this process).

I then found that if I clicked flash before plugging it in initially, I wouldn't have to manually unplug/plug back in. But it would still disconnect/reconnect a couple of times during the process. This actually works flawlessly for me now that I know what works for my box and I've done it a ton of times now. But again, it's likely different for you.

One thing that is worth mentioning if you haven't tried it, is trying different USB ports or even a different PC. If it's a tower, the back ports are often better. Also, it might be worth trying a different USB cable if you have one.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by antonio6o6 View Post

I am working on that TWRP? To see if I can get it fixed remember I'm not a extra I'm learning
                  That would be great if you could!

Comment

Originally posted by kontrabandee View Post

Ya, if Windows is actually crashing, I wouldn't chance it. I'm not sure it's possible to actually fully brick an AML device to where shorting the NAND pins wouldn't work, but still probably not worth the risk.

I know when I use USB Burn Tool, I don't supply power to mine (T95Z plus), but when I connect the USB, it does actually start to boot up. I think all boxes are likely different (even between versions/revisions and even depending on what exactly is flashed on it at the time), but for mine, I had to start the flash, it would start to boot up, then it would automatically disconnect from PC. I wouldn't touch Burn Tool (it's still trying to flash at that point) and I had to unplug the USB and plug it back in and it would then properly flash (it actually disconnects/reconnects a couple of times as well during this process).

I then found that if I clicked flash before plugging it in initially, I wouldn't have to manually unplug/plug back in. But it would still disconnect/reconnect a couple of times during the process. This actually works flawlessly for me now that I know what works for my box and I've done it a ton of times now. But again, it's likely different for you.

One thing that is worth mentioning if you haven't tried it, is trying different USB ports or even a different PC. If it's a tower, the back ports are often better. Also, it might be worth trying a different USB cable if you have one.

Good luck!
                    Thanks for the inspiration - I played with different timings of plugging the cable in, clicking start, releasing the power button, releasing the toothpick etc and eventually the screen TV stayed blank and the burning tool connected and did it's thing! Back on superceleron Minix Neo U9-H SCV1 ATV - Android 6.0.1 for now

Comment

Thanks for the inspiration - I played with different timings of plugging the cable in, clicking start, releasing the power button, releasing the toothpick etc and eventually the screen TV stayed blank and the burning tool connected and did it's thing! Back on superceleron Minix Neo U9-H SCV1 ATV - Android 6.0.1 for now
                      Awesome! Glad you got it sorted!

Comment

Someone help me, I'm new to this, and install the ROM with USB_Burning_Tool in my H96 Pro + 3/32, should I install something else?

Comment

@WilliamBntz10

I have a H96 Pro Plus 3/32 LPDDR3 and I used the revised version of this rom found on the link below and everything is running great so far. I'm hoping some more performance can be squeezed out from this rom as I also plan to do a cooling mod.

@minixfreak
                          Thanks for the great rom!!!

Comment

Thank you very much for the ROM, it works perfect, as Netflix TV is not compatible I use the kodi addon, here is the link https://github.com/asciidisco/plugin.video.netflix

Comment

runs pretty nice just flashed to 2GB x92 device and rooted through MAGISK.

LIke the clock fix showing time/temperature but it takes some time til it starts working, this is normal?

Comment

sometimes ATV playstore stucks/hangs saying "installation peding" or "installing"...

Anyone experienced the same?

Comment

Working...
                                X