Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T95Z Plus, High Temperature Modification!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T95Z Plus, High Temperature Modification!

Well....a friend of mine had an T95Z Plus 2G 16G, but he told me that every 10-20 minutes, the device was freezing and needed a full power off and power on to boot again.
    I got home to test it, and the problem was that its cpu was raising temperatures of up to 85C, and then it was freezing as he said. On no load, minimum temperature was around 70-75C, but after some heavy load (like 4k youtube video), temperature was going up to 85C and then freezes!
    I tested some ROMs but the problem was the same. Only one from Superceleron (Android 6) was a bit better with temperatures of minimum 65C at idle, but after 10-20 minutes of 4k video playing, temp was getting again to 85C and freezes again.
    Most stable ROM with Android 7.1.2 was a ROM named POISON, from another forum.......so i decided to work with that.
    I opened the box, and saw a small aluminium heatsink, with a thermal 'sponge' pad on it, touching at a big piece of iron in the top box cover.
    I had a cooper heatsink with 12v fan at home to test. So....i left the stock heatsink, is pushed down the 'sponge' pad to be sqeezed in the heatsink fins, and on top of that i used some thermal 'glue' paste and added the cooper heatsink. I found a + and - spot on motherboard that was giving me 5.15v to get power for the fan. Then i added a 5v to 12v tiny inverter to give 12v to the fan. Let the thermal paste sit for 15-20 minutes, and then powered on the box!
    AMAZING!!!!
    Idle temp is NO MORE than 40C, and temp when playing 30 minutes 4k video in NO MORE THAN 53-54C (never saw it 55C, but for some seconds reaches 54C)!
    Here are some pics of my little project :-)
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

It's all about the heat sink and substraight for thermal conductivity.

my box had a very small heat sink that made the temp around 62°C on average. Went to a stable stock firmware, and not much change. Found a good GPU heat sink that had 3x the surface area with deeper fins. Barely fits within the mini box, and used Military spec thermal paste. Now I get an average of 52°C temps with lightly modded stock firmware, and don't need a fan to keep it cool. If anyone's temp is greater than 68°C average on stock or custom firmware, there is something going on with firmware stability. It's OK to overly cool, but I see no issues to do so, as it's not a requirement.

Comment

Originally posted by dracosc22679 View Post
      Well....a friend of mine had an T95Z Plus 2G 16G, but he told me that every 10-20 minutes, the device was freezing and needed a full power off and power on to boot again.
      I got home to test it, and the problem was that its cpu was raising temperatures of up to 85C, and then it was freezing as he said. On no load, minimum temperature was around 70-75C, but after some heavy load (like 4k youtube video), temperature was going up to 85C and then freezes!
      I tested some ROMs but the problem was the same. Only one from Superceleron (Android 6) was a bit better with temperatures of minimum 65C at idle, but after 10-20 minutes of 4k video playing, temp was getting again to 85C and freezes again.
      Most stable ROM with Android 7.1.2 was a ROM named POISON, from another forum.......so i decided to work with that.
      I opened the box, and saw a small aluminium heatsink, with a thermal 'sponge' pad on it, touching at a big piece of iron in the top box cover.
      I had a cooper heatsink with 12v fan at home to test. So....i left the stock heatsink, is pushed down the 'sponge' pad to be sqeezed in the heatsink fins, and on top of that i used some thermal 'glue' paste and added the cooper heatsink. I found a + and - spot on motherboard that was giving me 5.15v to get power for the fan. Then i added a 5v to 12v tiny inverter to give 12v to the fan. Let the thermal paste sit for 15-20 minutes, and then powered on the box!
      AMAZING!!!!
      Idle temp is NO MORE than 40C, and temp when playing 30 minutes 4k video in NO MORE THAN 53-54C (never saw it 55C, but for some seconds reaches 54C)!
      Here are some pics of my little project :-)
      Do you mind sharing the model, brand or type of the cooper heatsink with 12v fan ?

Comment

Originally posted by Nedal0 View Post

Do you mind sharing the model, brand or type of the cooper heatsink with 12v fan ?
        As you can see from the photos my friend, this is really cheap unbranded heatsing bought from Aliexpress for just $2-3.

Comment

Yea I can see there's no brand. Just looking for any information to find a similar one. Any information would be much appreciated. Is it a PC, Laptop or NUC copper heatsink with 12v fan ?

Comment

Nice one ! Cheers I owe you one.

Comment

Working...
            X