X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odroid N2 Amlogic S922X this is deep.

Today we get a look and the Odroid N2 Amlogic S922X

Odroid N2 Amlogic S922X, the spec's are up to your final purchase
    Do you want lots of ram/eMMC, WiFi a remote and all the other bits they offer.

This is a work in Progress as the unit has just been released and what you see is what you get.

Not your normal over the counter purchase as in a Box that is ready to run with all smiles
    You will have to work at it to make it happen, It will get there, with lots of options to be had
    You need to know what you want it to do to meet your needs.

Read what they have to say over at ODROID and see if this is for you.

As mentioned it's a work in progress

Don't think you can just Turn it on and you have a Android Box Ready to run, like a Beelink or other devices
    This is what it's all about

I will give it my best shot to show and tell, but as mentioned what you see currently is what you get.
    Must say a bit of fun for those that like a challenge.
    Its not 100% things don't happen as you expect so be warned

Again you need to read what the deal is over at Odroid N2 to make sure this will work for you,

This N2 is not a switch on sit back and relax and enjoy you income Tax type of device

More as it happens

treboR
    Please consider
    Donating to Freaktab

The Unit arrived, then I thought well I did not read all the ins and outs of what is needed to make it what I want.

Need a case, need WiFi, Need emmc, want to burn to the eMMC and other bits read their web site, but its all fun and what we do.

Unit arrived, booted from TF/USB, works but not as zippy as from emmc,

A9 installed and well for a first run it's pretty ordinary, but then as I say new Chip/SOC this is what happens.

Then we have to register the device with google to make it safe and sound (if you believe google)

You can run other OS/firmware again have a read at Odroid and see if this is for you.

Just had an OTA update dated the 18th April, not 100% sure of what we got but did it anyways, and seems ok.
    Once you have it all registered and updated we have a basic UI with Google and can install some Apps to see how it goes.

Some of the Graphics are still a bit suss as many other things as you wonder thru, as mentioned don't expect a over the counter Box ready to run.
    (like that ever happens)

So far, It's not 100% things don't happen as you expect so be warned may not be for the faint hearted.
    Read what the deal is over at Odroid N2 to make sure this will work for you,

When the Unit arrived, I thought well I did not read all the ins and outs of what is needed to make it what I want.
    Need a case, need WiFi, Need emmc, want to burn to the eMMC and other bits read their website
    All fun in what we do.

Arrived, pretty quick, Postage ensures that, I booted from TF/USB worked but not as zippy as from emmc, and being sort of a beta release was not fun.
    Lots of things to be had you decide what you need to make it work for you. other OS boot from TF should be no worries.
    Last edited by trebor; 04-21-2019, 19:53. Reason: removed some dupes
    treboR
    Please consider
    Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Bit of a test after all the setup etc, lets have a look see

Basic UI at this stage simple

Odroid N2 Settings

Normal Settings

Geekbench as run

Antutu as Run, Seems to have a problem with Landscape and Portrait early days

Sd Card test

Some apps orientate ok others have a problem early days as mention.
      and a few glitches in graphics can be seen.

Ram and Storage Truth

treboR
      Please consider
      Donating to Freaktab

Comment

More testing and Zipping along very nicely,
        A few Graphic Glitches and the Odd WTF moment, but nothing to serious that can not be handled
        3dMark again some minor Landscape/Portrait issues not sure what it wanted to do, as most of these test apps are made for phones, just a bit of a tweak needed

A bit of a Graphic Glitch but got over it.

Kodi: installed from Playstore nothing tweaked just ran as is looking ok

All played Pretty smooth

treboR
        Please consider
        Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Using a small WiFI dongle working well as is ethernet:

AIDA64 with a bit of Information

CPU-Z [/FONT][/SIZE]
          treboR
          Please consider
          Donating to Freaktab

Comment

We can have look see at bits I have gotten to create the above information.

Box, no fancy packing, foam and stuff bit of bubble wrap and the static bag:

Extra bits to keep me amused when the time is right:
            eMMC USB and SD Burner/Reader, RTC,
            eMMC Linux or such: OTG mini cable.

Odroid N2 in casing with WiFi Dongle etc

Easily slides off to do any tinkering required:

Top view and Ports:

Other view of ports

A heat sink to Die for: and as seen this runs pretty cool.

Board Detail:

Pin Outs GPIO Header:

More tinkering and fiddling to happen as time goes by,
            The current update has improved things a little so it can only get better from here box is usable but lots of things to discover.

If you want to have a good tinker with the Amlogic s922x this maybe the box for you

Lots more info on the Odroid Forum about features setup etc..

More to come as I discover what it has to offer

Here you can see in a quick ana video of the N2 Amlogic s922x booting

as you can see the max/peek was about 6.4 watts on boot
            and 3watts +/- on idle
            Last edited by trebor; 05-09-2019, 07:22.
            treboR
            Please consider
            Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Another update just gone by, things are slowly coming together

Android Pie (20190425)

A list of Updates so far present and past todate can be found:

https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os...ndroid/android

Lots of Other N2 things about
              Bit of a list of the possibilities with the N2 and other Bits they support.
              treboR
              Please consider
              Donating to Freaktab

Comment

As found over at CNXsoft and for those that like Numbers
                This could also put other 922x in a Close or same boat we can only hope.

Giggle Score Says ODROID-N2 Best Value, Raspberry Pi Zero Worst Value

People like to compare single board computers, and usually want to have a simple answer as to which is better than the others. But in practice it?s impossible, because the beauty of SBCs is that they are so versatile and can be used in a wide variety of project, and that means in some cases the ?best board? may be completely useless to you since it lacks a critical feature and interface for YOUR project be it H.265 video encoding or a MIPI DSI display interface.

Still, it?s still always fun to look at benchmark scores and trying to compare SBCs, and for projects that mostly require CPU processing power it may also be useful. Robbie Ferguson has been developing and maintaining NEMS (Nagios Enterprise Monitoring Server) Linux for single board computers which runs an after-hours benchmark once per week and logs the server?s score anonymously and securely meaning he has a database with benchmark of hundreds boards running NEMS, mostly of which are Raspberry Pi 3 Model s. Giggle Score
                The NEMS Performance Score (NPS) is then weighted by the selling price of the board to derive the Giggle Score providing a list of the boards with the best value. As the name implies, you may not want to take it too seriously but the results are in and Amlogic S922X based ODROID-N2 board with 2GB RAM is the board with best value, followed by the 4GB RAM version, and RockPro64 (4GB) comes in third.

Giggle Score Raspberry Pi Zero
                At the other end of the ranking, the three boards with the worst value are all coming from the Raspberry Pi Foundation with Raspberry Pi 3 model B, Raspberry Pi 2, and Raspberry Pi 1/Zero being dead last.

If networking monitoring is indeed a low CPU usage task, the Raspberry Pi Zero may ironically be the best value at $10 for running NEMS Linux, as all the processing power potentially delivered by ODROID-N2 may be just be wasted since the system may be idled at most times. I?d assume it all depends on the size of your network.

People like to compare single board computers, and usually want to have a simple answer as to which is better than the others. But in practice it's
                treboR
                Please consider
                Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Greetings Trebor,
                  Is there a place where one can purchase a complete package?

Comment

This is purchased directly from Korea Directly from https://www.hardkernel.com/
                    treboR
                    Please consider
                    Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Thanks for the kind reply, Trebor.
                      A few novice questions;
                      1. Is the main reason for using this board because it runs linux, ie coreElec and libreElec etc.? Because kodi has stopped supporting new amlogic/rockchip processors?
                      2. Can this box be used for light computing? Media playing, browsing, downloading, especially torrent and baidu yun download, my main source of hlg content? Doe the linux os comes with all these features?
                      3. Is there a steep learning curve for a novice with zero linux experience? Does the vendor provide good support?
                      4. Where can one purchase 128GB eMMC module?
                      5. Is there a reason why only HDMI2.1 is not supported?
                      6. Is [email protected] 12-bits HDR supported?
                      7. Is it true linux does not support HDR yet?
                      Many thanks and best regards,
                      Last edited by goop; 05-05-2019, 10:42.

Comment

• trebor
                        trebor commented
                        Editing a comment
                        All Parts can be got at Hardkernel,
                        Its Running A9 very early at this stage
                        This is a do want you want it to do Type of Unit
                        Linux can be good if you have a use

They also have a forum for the N2 lots of info there to be found

• mo123
                        mo123 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes main reason is Linux and CoreELEC and if you use specialized applications like running a server, NAS, do computing etc.
                        LibreELEC and Kodi has dropped support for non mainline kernel support for Amlogic devices.
                        Linux doesn't support HDR yet.
                        Rockchip and some other vendors are waiting for Intel to set the standards for HDR in Linux for use in LibreELEC later, Amlogic is a bit behind in this regard.
                        Linux requires a lot of tinkering and tweaking to get it the way you want everything to work.
                        Vendor provides good support.
                        6) I think it might only work in CoreELEC with a special build using old kernels, won't work in Android or Linux.

Waiting for mine to arrive . . . it makes promises I hope it can keep!

Comment

So the Vim3 will now have 2.2Ghz CPU's compared to N2 with 1.7Ghz(overclocked to 1.9Ghz).
                        Will be interesting to see the real world difference in eg. gaming, 4K video playback, Linux OS UI speed etc.

Comment

Looks like Hardkernel are giving Coreelec a little official love.

R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

For those that have this board, check the Odroid forum there is a few extra non-official Android ROMs to try for this device: Lineage16 tablet OS and a Lineage16-AndroidTV build with latest updates dated from September with current Android security updates, the official HardKernel Android image is dated from July. There is even an Android 10 early beta to test out released from the same developer who created the Lineage images.

Comment

Working...
                            X