ORBSMART S86 = Beelink GT-King

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ORBSMART S86 = Beelink GT-King

I have received yesterday my Orbsmart S86. I have opened it and it is a Beelink GT-King inside. It has Build 905PO with Kernel #18 dated Fri 27 sept 2019. This machine is a bit more expensive than the GT King, so anyone interested might just as well buy the GT-King.
    I was curious to see how the Orbsmart S86 + GT-King are performing because of the good comments I could read everywhere. I was also curious about Android 9 and the firmware on the GT King. I must say that I am a bit disappointed. The GT-king is faster than the MK39 and H96 max with RK3399 boards with Android 7, but the difference can hardly be noticed. So far from what I could see, it has a few pros but also a few cons.

Android 9 has much more settings than Android 7 and first I viewed that as positive and now I start to have doubts. I am under the impression that Google is starting to do the same Mistake that Microsoft has done with Windows wanting to realize total flexibility. I wonder if this will not become too difficult for most users if they continue adding more and more options. Sometimes that many options interact with one another and I believe that for most users it might be too difficult to follow.
    An example is "Unknown sources". Before that was one switch to activate and deactivate. Now there is a switch for each application, and I can imagine that from time to time it will be necessary to open the switch for one or the other app. I think that this switch per app is no added value, on the contrary the more switches there are, the more one has to worry about which one to leave open and which one to close. And the risk of forgetting to close one of those switches of unknown sources is increased, the more there are switches. I think that on some things Google starts to be overdoing it. Also the accelerated pace at which new Android versions come out, now is in my opinion not necessary.

Coming back to GT-King vs the MK39 (for my use, which is mainly office work),

Pros: (so far, after 1 day's trial)
    1) a bit more speed but not very much
    2) Aquarium 3D (a live wallpaper which I quite like run nicely on the GT-King, on the MK39 it is not running, but I can live with that as it is only a fancy thing, nothing that really matters).
    3) there will probably be more people buying the GT King than the MK39, so as it will probably be more popular, obtaining updates and help might become more easy. The future will tell us.

Cons: (so far, after 1 day's trial)
    1) not possible to connect a network printserver / printer
    2) my modded MK39 runs in average 10 to 15 degrees cooler that the GT King. The heatsink of the GT-King is more or less OK, but if you want to change the heatsink for a bigger one (which I like to do) or add a small fan, this is impossible as the inside of the case is that narrow, that nothing can be changed. Further more the connection pad between the processor and the dissipation heatsink gives me a feeling that it might dry out quite quickly, this forcing the user to permanently keep a close eye on the temperature and maybe from time to time renew the thermal paste. The future will tell us.
    3) from what I have read it seems that flashing a new room or restoring the stockrom is quite more complicated than on the MK39.

As said, these are only my first impressions and hopefully the GT-King will still improve on the firmware side and then it could be a step forward. The user community which will probably be bigger than for the RK3399 might also make things easier and help. We will see. Nevertheless I could never understand why the RK3399 boards is so unpopular. Maybe it is just because people got the wrong firmware.

KT-King is pre-rooted and I was wondering if some one has good experiences on how to install Magisk or Supersu to implement the necessary security for a rooted machine. Hopefully it will not be too complicated with risks to brick the machine!!!!!

IF you can take a few pictures of the inside, just to compare that is, if you can
    treboR
    Please consider
    Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post
      IF you can take a few pictures of the inside, just to compare that is, if you can
      +1

Comment

Working...
      X