Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused about Android and resolutions, frame rates

Hi :-)

I'm considering buying a box based on S922X, to use for Kodi, browsing, Google photos, etc.

AFAICT, all the devices I'm considering - Beelink, ugoos, Odroid - render their Android UIs in 1080p, and only put out 4k when rendering videos at that resolution. This is a deal breaker for me, so I'm curious as to whether this is simply be their choice in software, and if it can be reconfigured, or if other ROMs exist without such limitation?

I've also previously bought an Android stick which was a bit of a bummer, in that using Kodi on the Android it came with, I couldn't get it to switch to the native video frame rate when playing back, it'd just stick to 60 Hz, so playback wasn't smooth. I installed OpenELEC on it, which worked great for video playback, but obviously I lost the other part of the reason I bought it - the android eco system - so it went in a drawer somewhere :-/

I kinda don't wanna buy another one of these devices just to throw it in another drawer once again, so if any of you can shed some light on this, I'd be very appreciative :-)

Thanks!
    Daniel

PS: I know Netflix and some of its friends don't work well on these Android devices, but I don't use any of those services, so that's fine with me ;-)
    Last edited by DanielSB; 10-22-2019, 19:11. Reason: Site ate my smilies

Originally posted by DanielSB View Post

I'm considering buying a box based on S922X, to use for Kodi, browsing, Google photos, etc.

AFAICT, all the devices I'm considering - Beelink, ugoos, Odroid - render their Android UIs in 1080p, and only put out 4k when rendering videos at that resolution. This is a deal breaker for me, so I'm curious as to whether this is simply be their choice in software, and if it can be reconfigured, or if other ROMs exist without such limitation?

I've also previously bought an Android stick which was a bit of a bummer, in that using Kodi on the Android it came with, I couldn't get it to switch to the native video frame rate when playing back, it'd just stick to 60 Hz, so playback wasn't smooth. I installed OpenELEC on it, which worked great for video playback, but obviously I lost the other part of the reason I bought it - the android eco system - so it went in a drawer somewhere :-/

I kinda don't wanna buy another one of these devices just to throw it in another drawer once again, so if any of you can shed some light on this, I'd be very appreciative :-)

Thanks!
    Daniel

PS: I know Netflix and some of its friends don't work well on these Android devices, but I don't use any of those services, so that's fine with me ;-)
    Hi ,

if AML , i think you can use Apk or files for that , but not sure , search will help , good luck / gefattern

Comment

Originally posted by gefattern View Post

Hi ,

if AML , i think you can use Apk or files for that , but not sure , search will help , good luck / gefattern
      +1

Comment

Originally posted by DanielSB View Post

Thanks!
        Daniel

Hi

The AM6 S922x is the only one that supports native frame-rate switching in Kodi and HD Audio passthrough in Android.
        You can also use LibreELEC with the Netflix addon to play up to 1080p, but I haven't tried it recently since all my micro-sd cards are plugged into my Rockchip devices at the moment.

Yes, all Android devices render the UI in either 1080p or 720p except the Nvidia Shield.
        Next year with the new Rockchip RK3588 and Amlogic processors, you will finally be able to render the Android UI also in 4K.

Comment

Originally posted by mo123 View Post

Hi

The AM6 S922x is the only one that supports native frame-rate switching in Kodi and HD Audio passthrough in Android.
          You can also use LibreELEC with the Netflix addon to play up to 1080p, but I haven't tried it recently since all my micro-sd cards are plugged into my Rockchip devices at the moment.

Yes, all Android devices render the UI in either 1080p or 720p except the Nvidia Shield.
          Next year with the new Rockchip RK3588 and Amlogic processors, you will finally be able to render the Android UI also in 4K.
          just wait for the new rockchip, or better get yourself a Nvidia Shield TV on electronic bay, if you want a s922X make sure to not get one from beelink atleast or you will pay the double in the end with all the stress you'll get, especially with beelink those fakers dont trust the reviews and look at the negative reviews on amazon, they faked the kernel of the gt king again somehow users experience hardfreeze randomly and that was the same scenario on the faked beelink gt1 with 3gb of fake ram.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver View Post

just wait for the new rockchip, or better get yourself a Nvidia Shield TV on electronic bay, if you want a s922X make sure to not get one from beelink atleast or you will pay the double in the end with all the stress you'll get, especially with beelink those fakers dont trust the reviews and look at the negative reviews on amazon, they faked the kernel of the gt king again somehow users experience hardfreeze randomly and that was the same scenario on the faked beelink gt1 with 3gb of fake ram.
            Can you give us an Explanation why are you always Bash Beelink?
            Did you think others are better?
            Beelink never sold fake 3GB Ram Boxes.
            Maybe others did it telling you it is a Beelink Box.

Ray

Comment

Beelink is one of the best tvbox producers I know them since 2015.
              I'm waiting for my GT King Pro a top quality tv box.

If you have quality problems, I'm sure they will solve your problems.

Comment

Originally posted by mo123 View Post

Hi

thanks for the info,waiting for RK3588 Amlogic processors with 4K UI.
                4K TVs are popular these days,can't tolerate 1080P when watching some 4k.

Comment

Originally posted by anteros View Post

thanks for the info,waiting for RK3588 Amlogic processors with 4K UI.
                  4K TVs are popular these days,can't tolerate 1080P when watching some 4k.
                  Video playback is in 4K on the Ugoos AM6 since video playback is rendered on a different layer.
                  It is only the Android UI, homescreen that is 1080p like all current Android media players.

Comment

Working...
                  X