X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

magisk on gt king

hello,
    i dont know if i am the only one with this problem

i installed the TWRP recovery , works great , but when i flashed the magisk i lost the root access
    and magisk wasn't installed , anyone else with this problem , or any custom rom that is compatible with magisk

regards,

Magisk hasn't fully developed a Root program for devices with system_as_root which Amlogic devices use. The Canary development version of Magisk is suppose to work with system_as_root devices, but last test I did it was still not compatible with Amlogic Android 9 devices straight from Zip file. Will need further work by Magisk development team to make Zip file compatible, and/or a developer to manually install Magisk well building a firmware to install all the Magisk files directly into the boot.img and system.img

Comment

RiCkLaR_atvX

thank you for the explanation

Comment

Originally posted by RiCkLaR_atvX View Post
        Magisk hasn't fully developed a Root program for devices with system_as_root which Amlogic devices use. The Canary development version of Magisk is suppose to work with system_as_root devices, but last test I did it was still not compatible with Amlogic Android 9 devices straight from Zip file. Will need further work by Magisk development team to make Zip file compatible, and/or a developer to manually install Magisk well building a firmware to install all the Magisk files directly into the boot.img and system.img
        +1

Comment

Yeah this would be nice to see in future. I have some apps that I need to use and they don't work on rooted devices. Currently no way to hide root on the GT King .

Comment

Same boat here . Got this box yesterday runs so good but unfortunately on of my Sports app detects the root and doesn't want to start . Tried all possible options and apps to hide it but no luck . I managed to flash Magisk with TWRP but it doesn't seem like its there .' On top of that i lost root with Magisk flashing which actually got the sports app working but annoying pop-ads were all over the device couldn't watch it . Thanks for explaining Ricklar_atvX make sense . Hopefully we will get support soon .

Comment

Magisk in Recovery mode

Before anything always back up your box. If you use TWRP then create a whole back up which makes it easier to restore and if don't use TWRP then maybe you should.

To get Magisk working on the GT-King follow these steps.

Magisk will be installed into the recovery partition so if you flash the image to recovery, you will loose TWRP or default recovery but you could use an SD card to load into TWRP or default recovery and similarly you can use the patched recovery image from Magisk too and load that from SD card when required.

I have not worked out how you can load Magisk recovery partition but also load TWRP without a separate image when required. Technically this is possible because it's a patched recovery image with TWRP. There might be some sort of key sequence that will allow this but have not played enough with it to work it out.

If you leave your box on all the time it should be fine because you can boot into "magisk recovery" once and then leave it on.

1) You need a recovery image.
              a)If you have root already (such as default root), you can use this command in a terminal app which will covert the recovery file from the system to recovery.img and we will save it on the internal storage (home level).
              Code:
              dd if=/dev/block/revovery of=/mnt/sdcard/recovery.img
              b) if you don't have root because you tried flashing Magisk through TWRP or have manually unrooted then or if you can't be bothered using terminal, you can use my recovery.img here recovery image and save this to a location of your choice

2) Download and install Magisk Manager APK from here
              3) In Magisk manager main screen click advanced options tick Recovery mode
              4) Now next to Magisk Click install then selection the option where you have to select the image
              5) Select the image file from either step 1a) or 1b)
              6) Give it a few moments and Magisk manager will create a patched recovery img named magisk_patched.img and will be located in your download folder in your internal storage.
              7) Now you need to unroot your device if it's not already by trying to flash Magisk in TWRP. I use impactor universal unroot for this which can be sourced from the play store or other means and follow the instructions in the app. After you restart, the device is no longer rooted but we will need use the magisk patched recovery which will give you root

Now here is where you decide what to do next....
              i) Do you boot into existing TWRP recovery via depressing the reset pinhole whilst plugging in the power and then permanently flashing the new patched recovery image or
              ii) Do you copy that patched recovery image to a SD Card, renaming it to recovery.img and booting off that temporarily via depressing the reset pinhole whilst plugging in the power

Either way, once you boot into that "magisk recovery" it is now installed and works a treat and have root access but you can hide root per app via Magisk hide

The systemless-host module can be installed via the module manager if you use Hosts file to block ads (I use energized host file for this). I think the path for this after it's installed is /data/adb/modules/hosts
              Last edited by syked69; 12-04-2019, 23:25.

Comment

Super - looks promising :-) ...

Will test it soon - but some questions in advance - do I have to boot the device into recovery evertime when I want to use Magisk or is that only one time necessary?

Best regards
                eseze

Comment

Yes unfortunately you always have to boot into the recovery to able to have magisk root.

That's why I was suggesting you boot once into the recovery then leave the box on because it will stay in recovery with magisk root

Comment

In the meantime I have tested it - and for me it's running smoothly - but I am not willing to keep the device switched on the whole of the time. And thus it didn't pass the WAF test successfully :-( ... and that means that I will have to go back to a ROM version with SuperSU already installed.

Again, thanks for your description how to get Magisk running!

Comment

Good to hear you can get it working. I think you can put the box in standby after loading Magisk recovery and it would still be loaded with that magisk recovery when you wake it but not 100% sure.

I know SuperSu gives you a prompt to allow or disallow root for apps but it doesn't have the ability to be able to hide root from apps that have a check in place so I'm not sure what the benefit is but each to their own choice

Comment

syked69 nice little guide to install Magisk that you posted.

One edit I would make, this section:
                        Originally posted by syked69 View Post
                        i) Do you boot into existing TWRP recovery via depressing the reset pinhole whilst plugging in the power and then permanently flashing the new patched recovery image or
                        ii) Do you copy that patched recovery image to a SD Card, renaming it to recovery.img and booting off that temporarily via depressing the reset pinhole whilst plugging in the power
                        - You should just have a terminal app installed from playstore so you can just type "reboot recovery" and enter TWRP recovery then flash the Magisk-modified-boot.img to recovery partition, which TWRP allows flashing .IMG files to boot, logo, and Recovery.

At least that is how I did it when messing around with Magisk installation, I don't like having to fiddle with reset buttons if it just easier to type a command in terminal app.

Comment

Originally posted by RiCkLaR_atvX View Post
                          syked69 nice little guide to install Magisk that you posted.

One edit I would make, this section:

- You should just have a terminal app installed from playstore so you can just type "reboot recovery" and enter TWRP recovery then flash the Magisk-modified-boot.img to recovery partition, which TWRP allows flashing .IMG files to boot, logo, and Recovery.

At least that is how I did it when messing around with Magisk installation, I don't like having to fiddle with reset buttons if it just easier to type a command in terminal app.
                          You're right but some peoope want to remove the default root otherwise it defeats the purpose of Magisk hide as apps would think it's still rooted.

Comment

Originally posted by syked69 View Post
                            Magisk in Recovery mode

Before anything always back up your box. If you use TWRP then create a whole back up which makes it easier to restore and if don't use TWRP then maybe you should.

To get Magisk working on the GT-King follow these steps.

Magisk will be installed into the recovery partition so if you flash the image to recovery, you will loose TWRP or default recovery but you could use an SD card to load into TWRP or default recovery and similarly you can use the patched recovery image from Magisk too and load that from SD card when required.

I have not worked out how you can load Magisk recovery partition but also load TWRP without a separate image when required. Technically this is possible because it's a patched recovery image with TWRP. There might be some sort of key sequence that will allow this but have not played enough with it to work it out.

If you leave your box on all the time it should be fine because you can boot into "magisk recovery" once and then leave it on.

1) You need a recovery image.
                            a)If you have root already (such as default root), you can use this command in a terminal app which will covert the recovery file from the system to recovery.img and we will save it on the internal storage (home level).
                            Code:
                            dd if=/dev/block/revovery of=/mnt/sdcard/recovery.img
                            b) if you don't have root because you tried flashing Magisk through TWRP or have manually unrooted then or if you can't be bothered using terminal, you can use my recovery.img here recovery image and save this to a location of your choice

2) Download and install Magisk Manager APK from here
                            3) In Magisk manager main screen click advanced options tick Recovery mode
                            4) Now next to Magisk Click install then selection the option where you have to select the image
                            5) Select the image file from either step 1a) or 1b)
                            6) Give it a few moments and Magisk manager will create a patched recovery img named magisk_patched.img and will be located in your download folder in your internal storage.
                            7) Now you need to unroot your device if it's not already by trying to flash Magisk in TWRP. I use impactor universal unroot for this which can be sourced from the play store or other means and follow the instructions in the app. After you restart, the device is no longer rooted but we will need use the magisk patched recovery which will give you root

Either way, once you boot into that "magisk recovery" it is now installed and works a treat and have root access but you can hide root per app via Magisk hide

The systemless-host module can be installed via the module manager if you use Hosts file to block ads (I use energized host file for this). I think the path for this after it's installed is /data/adb/modules/hosts
                            Dear Syked69...
                            actually Im searching long time ago on how to get magisk on Gt king.... and fortunately I found it in your post here...
                            I'm just trying to understand what you mean since it's my first time doing this kind of work, but unfortunately I didn't understand...
                            actually I just installed a custom rom which has been done by Sasvlad, and I'm trying to know how to get magisk install on my box coz my tv not working (rooted device)
                            so I'm trying to find way on how to hid root from some apps, and that's lead me to magisk
                            sorry for this long explanation...
                            Can you please provide us a video on how you can install magisk on Gt king ( as I read Sasvlad has TWRP) so please can you provide a video or at least lead me to someone who did...
                            thanks a lot
                            And highly appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by hossamkalleh View Post

Dear Syked69...
                              actually Im searching long time ago on how to get magisk on Gt king.... and fortunately I found it in your post here...
                              I'm just trying to understand what you mean since it's my first time doing this kind of work, but unfortunately I didn't understand...
                              actually I just installed a custom rom which has been done by Sasvlad, and I'm trying to know how to get magisk install on my box coz my tv not working (rooted device)
                              so I'm trying to find way on how to hid root from some apps, and that's lead me to magisk
                              sorry for this long explanation...
                              Can you please provide us a video on how you can install magisk on Gt king ( as I read Sasvlad has TWRP) so please can you provide a video or at least lead me to someone who did...
                              thanks a lot
                              And highly appreciated
                              Did you actually read my post?

I've listed step by step instructions which you need to follow. I've done it and it works but there is no video of this.

The key point is that you need to load Magisk into recovery which will then remove TWRP then you have to boot into recovery and use the GT King like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X