No announcement yet.

Beelink GT King Pro - Debian Strech & Ubuntu Bionic Firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please forgive me for asking such a sophomoric question, but my knowledge is in programming is limited to an intro course in Pascal nearly 30 years ago. I followed the instruction by Darkstar as best I could.and created an SD card with Ubuntu. I inserted it into my new GT-King and everything seemed to be going along swimmingly until the graphical environment popped up and was asked to input my username and password. They are clearly cited in the instruction. The part that is missing for me, an admitted layman: with what input device should I enter this information? My GT-King came with a remote control. That works just fine. I am able to navigate all over the screen, but there is no onscreen keyboard. I am unable to connect via my bluetooth keyboard as I would need to login to enable it. It is sort of a catch-22.

Are there modifications that I am able to make to one of the files on the newly created SD card? Is there a way to connect remotely somehow? What are my options.

I tried Correlec, but felt that it was very limiting in what I may or may not install, so adding Ubuntu seems like a great way to take advantage of the full potential that the GT-King offers and hopefully learn a bit along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Beenie View Post
      Please forgive me for asking such a sophomoric question, but my knowledge is in programming is limited to an intro course in Pascal nearly 30 years ago. I followed the instruction by Darkstar as best I could.and created an SD card with Ubuntu. I inserted it into my new GT-King and everything seemed to be going along swimmingly until the graphical environment popped up and was asked to input my username and password. They are clearly cited in the instruction. The part that is missing for me, an admitted layman: with what input device should I enter this information? My GT-King came with a remote control. That works just fine. I am able to navigate all over the screen, but there is no onscreen keyboard. I am unable to connect via my bluetooth keyboard as I would need to login to enable it. It is sort of a catch-22.

Are there modifications that I am able to make to one of the files on the newly created SD card? Is there a way to connect remotely somehow? What are my options.

I tried Correlec, but felt that it was very limiting in what I may or may not install, so adding Ubuntu seems like a great way to take advantage of the full potential that the GT-King offers and hopefully learn a bit along the way.
      You need a regular usb keyboard like all personal computers, I'm sorry for that.

Comment

I thought that my question might be sophommoric. Thank you for you straight forward response and more importantly for the clear instruction on how to install and set up a complete linux box on my GT-King.

The potential is limitless. In addition to having one of the best media players available, I effectively have a computer that is more powerful than the University's mainframe was back in my college days.

It cost me around $100 for the GT-King and about 10 minutes of my time following your tutorial. I am grateful.

Comment

My Beelink GT-King is working very well as a linux box thanks to you. Kodi is up and running smoothly.

I have an issue which may be solvable that I am hoping that you can give me direction with or to refer me to someone who can. I want to use TVHeadend with the linux system. I have installed it and it works for IPTV but it fails to recognize my TV Tuner USB - Happpauge 950Q. I went to the Hauppauge site and they do not support kernel 4.9. They support kernel 4.4 a.5.4 and 4.19 but I have not had success trying to add an additional kernel especially given the ARM64 architecture embedded in the existing build.

Oddly, my TV Tuner card was recognized by and worked flawlessly with TVHeadend on the Correlec build. There are other limitations with Coreelec that make it less desirable than Ubuntu, but it did recognize my TV card.

Ubuntu sees my device:

beelink@Beelink:/lib/firmware$ lsusb -v

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 2040:7200 Hauppauge 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub
          Device Descriptor:
          bLength 18
          bDescriptorType 1
          bcdUSB 2.00
          bDeviceClass 0
          bDeviceSubClass 0
          bDeviceProtocol 0
          bMaxPacketSize0 64
          idVendor 0x2040 Hauppauge
          idProduct 0x7200
          bcdDevice 0.05
          iManufacturer 1 Hauppauge
          iProduct 2 WinTV HVR-950
          iSerial 10 4035653361&40
          bNumConfigurations 1
          Configuration Descriptor:
          bLength 9
          bDescriptorType 2
          wTotalLength 0x010b
          bNumInterfaces 4
          bConfigurationValue 1
          iConfiguration 0
          bmAttributes 0x80
          (Bus Powered)
          MaxPower 500mA
          Interface Descriptor:
          bLength 9
          bDescriptorType 4
          bInterfaceNumber 0

I am able to install firmware, but no driver exists from the vendor.

There must be a software solution as it does work with Coreelec which uses the same kernel. Any ideas? If not, I could bite the bullet and buy a different tuner/capture device if i knew of one that is supported by my Ubuntu build.

I have spent more time on this than I care to admit. Probably over 100 hours. I have learned a lot, mostly that I know so little. Any help or direction that you can give me is appreciated.

Comment

My Beelink GT-King is working very well as a linux box thanks to you. Kodi is up and running smoothly.

I have an issue which may be solvable that I am hoping that you can give me direction with or to refer me to someone who can. I want to use TVHeadend with the linux system. I have installed it and it works for IPTV but it fails to recognize my TV Tuner USB - Happpauge 950Q. I went to the Hauppauge site and they do not support kernel 4.9. They support kernel 4.4 a.5.4 and 4.19 but I have not had success trying to add an additional kernel especially given the ARM64 architecture embedded in the existing build.

Oddly, my TV Tuner card was recognized by and worked flawlessly with TVHeadend on the Correlec build. There are other limitations with Coreelec that make it less desirable than Ubuntu, but it did recognize my TV card.

Ubuntu sees my device:

beelink@Beelink:/lib/firmware$ lsusb -v

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 2040:7200 Hauppauge 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub
            Device Descriptor:
            bLength 18
            bDescriptorType 1
            bcdUSB 2.00
            bDeviceClass 0
            bDeviceSubClass 0
            bDeviceProtocol 0
            bMaxPacketSize0 64
            idVendor 0x2040 Hauppauge
            idProduct 0x7200
            bcdDevice 0.05
            iManufacturer 1 Hauppauge
            iProduct 2 WinTV HVR-950
            iSerial 10 4035653361&40
            bNumConfigurations 1
            Configuration Descriptor:
            bLength 9
            bDescriptorType 2
            wTotalLength 0x010b
            bNumInterfaces 4
            bConfigurationValue 1
            iConfiguration 0
            bmAttributes 0x80
            (Bus Powered)
            MaxPower 500mA
            Interface Descriptor:
            bLength 9
            bDescriptorType 4
            bInterfaceNumber 0

I am able to install firmware, but no driver exists from the vendor.

There must be a software solution as it does work with Coreelec which uses the same kernel. Any ideas? If not, I could bite the bullet and buy a different tuner/capture device if i knew of one that is supported by my Ubuntu build.

I have spent more time on this than I care to admit. Probably over 100 hours. I have learned a lot, mostly that I know so little. Any help or direction that you can give me is appreciated.
            If you have time you can try my recent builds from this topic.
            You want to run your device as a Linux Desktop + Tvheadend am I right?

-First of all you need to test if your tv tuner works or not. I suggest you to use Kaffeine software from KDE for testing.
            -As I understood tvheadend does not recognize your tv tuner am I right?
            -Device driver is supported by kernel itself no need for special drivers.
            -If your device works with Kaffeine your issue will be related to Tvheadend, If kaffeine does not recognize it too probable kernel build does not included required modules.
            -If current kernel does not support your TV Tuner USB - Happpauge 950Q we need to compile kernel with support for it
            -Since I don't have that tuner I cannot test it and make it work for you.

I can use Coreelecs Kernel configuration for my next build to support tv tuners but I cannot guarantee that your TV Tuner USB - Happpauge 950Q will work.

Regards,

Comment

I tried the link that you provided but the sysadmin has restricted my ability to go there>> Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page. For assistance contact the site administrator.

Precisely!.

-First of all you need to test if your tv tuner works or not. I suggest you to use Kaffeine software from KDE for testing.
              With the current iteration and kernel, my tuner does not work on my GT King. Not with Kaffeine, not with VLC, not with TVheadend. TVheadend does recognize the tuner using the exact same hardware under Coreelec. As a test I took the TV stick and inserted it into my PC operating Linux and the 5.4 kernel and Kaffenie recognised it perfectly and it operated it without an issue.

You are correct.

The company that manufactures the TV Tuner device support instructs me to add:

Kernel 2.6.31 and later:

wget http://www.kernellabs.com/firmware/x...000-1.6.114.fw mv dvb-fe-xc5000-1.6.114.fw /lib/firmware/

I did so.

-If your device works with Kaffeine your issue will be related to Tvheadend, If kaffeine does not recognize it too probable kernel build does not included required modules.
              The device is seen with lsusb -v command, but nothing seems to recognise it: Not VLC, not Kaffeine, not TVheadend. I suspect it is kernel related.

-If current kernel does not support your TV Tuner USB - Happpauge 950Q we need to compile kernel with support for it
              How difficult is this to do? Is this something that I can do on my own with my extremely limited knowledge.

I can use Coreelecs Kernel configuration for my next build to support tv tuners but I cannot guarantee that your TV Tuner USB - Happpauge 950Q will work.
              There are no guarantees in life Darkstar. Wile it was not my intent or an expectation that my "TV Box" could double as an X-Server, a Samba-Server, a mail server, and Ubuntu desktop an an entertainment center, and did I mention an FTP server and currently setting up a remote desktop, I would have not believed it. Yet it is so - from a guy who knew next to nothing just a few short weeks ago. I get a bit intimidated by you and others on this forum, as you actually know about this stuff and understand the actual architecture. I am grateful to you for your responses and for making me feel connected despite my technical deficiencies vis-a-vis the others.

I suspected that the kernel has something to do with the tuner's failure to work.

Regards,[/QUOTE]

Comment

I tried the link that you provided but the sysadmin has restricted my ability to go there>> Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page. For assistance contact the site administrator.

Precisely!.

With the current iteration and kernel, my tuner does not work on my GT King. Not with Kaffeine, not with VLC, not with TVheadend. TVheadend does recognize the tuner using the exact same hardware under Coreelec. As a test I took the TV stick and inserted it into my PC operating Linux and the 5.4 kernel and Kaffenie recognised it perfectly and it operated it without an issue.

You are correct.

The company that manufactures the TV Tuner device support instructs me to add:

Kernel 2.6.31 and later:

wget http://www.kernellabs.com/firmware/x...000-1.6.114.fw mv dvb-fe-xc5000-1.6.114.fw /lib/firmware/

I did so.

The device is seen with lsusb -v command, but nothing seems to recognise it: Not VLC, not Kaffeine, not TVheadend. I suspect it is kernel related.

How difficult is this to do? Is this something that I can do on my own with my extremely limited knowledge.

There are no guarantees in life Darkstar. Wile it was not my intent or an expectation that my "TV Box" could double as an X-Server, a Samba-Server, a mail server, and Ubuntu desktop an an entertainment center, and did I mention an FTP server and currently setting up a remote desktop, I would have not believed it. Yet it is so - from a guy who knew next to nothing just a few short weeks ago. I get a bit intimidated by you and others on this forum, as you actually know about this stuff and understand the actual architecture. I am grateful to you for your responses and for making me feel connected despite my technical deficiencies vis-a-vis the others.

I suspected that the kernel has something to do with the tuner's failure to work.

Regards,
                [/QUOTE]

Installing firmware may help, could you try to install firmware in ubuntu for your tv tuner with the commands below?
                sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-hauppauge
                sudo apt-get install linux-hwe-mediatree

Can you check from Coreelec what is the name of kernel module or name of that device, how Happpauge 950Q was recognized?
                SSH to coreelec and run commands below.

lspci
                lsusb
                lsmod

Comment

Originally posted by darkstar View Post
                  Installing firmware may help, could you try to install firmware in ubuntu for your tv tuner with the commands below?

Can you check from Coreelec what is the name of kernel module or name of that device, how Happpauge 950Q was recognized?

lspci
                  lsusb
                  lsmod[/QUOTE]

I can't install the firmware. It could be that I am not doing it correctly, but it appears to me that the vendor simply does not support kernel 4.9. I know that 4.4 is supported as is 5.4. When I tried:

beelink@Beelink:~$ sudo apt-get install linux-hwe-mediatree
                  Reading package lists... Done
                  Building dependency tree
                  Reading state information... Done
                  E: Unable to locate package linux-hwe-mediatree

Then I tried....
                  beelink@Beelink:~$ sudo apt-get install linux-mediatree
                  Building dependency tree
                  Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
                  requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
                  distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
                  or been moved out of Incoming.
                  The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                  linux-mediatree : Depends: linux-image-5.4.0-512010201020-generic but it is not installable
                  Depends: linux-modules-5.4.0-512010201020-generic but it is not installable
                  Depends: linux-modules-extra-5.4.0-512010201020-generic but it is not installable
                  Depends: linux-headers-5.4.0-512010201020-generic but it is not installable
                  E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I checked the kernel version that I am using in Coreelec:
                  CoreELEC:~ # cat /proc/version
                  Linux version 4.9.113 (ray@laptop) (gcc version 8.3.0 (GNU Toolchain for the A-profile Architecture 8.3-2019.03 (arm-rel-8.36)) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Aug 14 20:30:41 UTC 2020

I ran lspci (there is no pci slot in the GT King) and I ran lsusb with in both Coreelec and Ubuntu. The reports were identical. Where the difference is is when I ran lsmod:
                  Ubuntu 'Module Size Used by CoreELEC:~ # lsmod
                  zram 36864 4 Module Size Used by
                  mali_kbase 475136 0 au8522_dig 16384 1
                  iv009_isp 540672 0 xc5000 32768 2
                  iv009_isp_sensor 270336 0 tuner 32768 1
                  iv009_isp_lens 69632 0 au8522_decoder 16384 1
                  iv009_isp_iq 544768 0 au8522_common 16384 2 au8522_decoder,au8522_dig
                  galcore 356352 0 au0828 81920 1
                  vpu 49152 0 tveeprom 24576 1 au0828
                  encoder 53248 0 dvb_core 155648 1 au0828
                  amvdec_avs2 192512 0 videobuf2_vmalloc 16384 2 au0828,dvb_core
                  amvdec_vp9 151552 0 hci_uart 86016 1
                  amvdec_vc1 53248 0 btbcm 16384 1 hci_uart
                  amvdec_real 40960 0 btqca 16384 1 hci_uart
                  amvdec_mmpeg4 32768 0 btintel 20480 1 hci_uart
                  amvdec_mpeg4 53248 0 bluetooth 405504 25 hci_uart,btintel,btqca,btbcm
                  amvdec_mmpeg12 40960 0 ir_rc6_decoder 16384 0
                  amvdec_mpeg12 90112 0 ir_nec_decoder 16384 0
                  amvdec_mmjpeg 28672 0 ir_lirc_codec 16384 0
                  amvdec_mjpeg 36864 0 lirc_dev 24576 1 ir_lirc_codec
                  amvdec_h265 135168 0 meson_ir 16384 0
                  amvdec_h264mvc 49152 0 rc_core 36864 6 ir_rc6_decoder,ir_nec_decoder,ir_lirc_codec,meson_ ir,lirc_dev
                  amvdec_mh264 151552 0 dhd 1171456 0
                  amvdec_h264 118784 0 wireguard 139264 0
                  amvdec_avs 61440 0 ip6_udp_tunnel 16384 1 wireguard
                  stream_input 180224 10 amvdec_h265,amvdec_mh264,amvdec_h264mvc,amvdec_rea l,amvdec_vp9,amvdec_h264,amvdec_avs2,amvdec_mpeg12 ,amvdec_avs,amvdec_mmpeg12 udp_tunnel 16384 1 wireguard
                  decoder_common 176128 17 amvdec_h265,amvdec_mjpeg,amvdec_mh264,amvdec_mmpeg 4,amvdec_h264mvc,amvdec_mmjpeg,amvdec_real,stream_ input,amvdec_vp9,amvdec_h264,encoder,amvdec_avs2,a mvdec_mpeg12,amvdec_avs,amvdec_vc1,amvdec_mmpeg12, amvdec_mpeg4 joydev 24576 0
                  firmware 28672 18 amvdec_h265,amvdec_mjpeg,amvdec_mh264,amvdec_mmpeg 4,amvdec_h264mvc,amvdec_mmjpeg,decoder_common,amvd ec_real,stream_input,amvdec_vp9,amvdec_h264,encode r,amvdec_avs2,amvdec_mpeg12,amvdec_avs,amvdec_vc1, amvdec_mmpeg12,amvdec_mpeg4 mali_kbase 499712 3
                  media_clock 45056 12 amvdec_h265,amvdec_mh264,decoder_common,vpu,firmwa re,stream_input,amvdec_vp9,amvdec_h264,encoder,amv dec_avs2,amvdec_mpeg12,amvdec_avs wifi_dummy 16384 0
                  dhd 1404928 0 amvdec_vp9 126976 0
                  btrfs 1269760 0 amvdec_vc1 65536 0
                  xor 20480 1 btrfs amvdec_real 45056 0
                  raid6_pq 106496 1 btrfs amvdec_ports 200704 0
                  v4l2_common 20480 4 tuner,au8522_decoder,amvdec_ports,au0828
                  videobuf2_dma_contig 20480 1 amvdec_ports
                  videobuf2_memops 16384 2 videobuf2_dma_contig,videobuf2_vmalloc
                  v4l2_mem2mem 36864 1 amvdec_ports
                  videobuf2_v4l2 32768 3 amvdec_ports,au0828,v4l2_mem2mem
                  videobuf2_common 69632 5 amvdec_ports,au0828,dvb_core,v4l2_mem2mem,videobuf 2_v4l2
                  amvdec_mpeg4 65536 0
                  amvdec_mpeg12 106496 0
                  amvdec_mmpeg4 40960 0
                  amvdec_mmpeg12 45056 0
                  amvdec_mmjpeg 32768 0
                  amvdec_mjpeg 40960 0
                  amvdec_mh264 163840 0
                  amvdec_h265 155648 0
                  amvdec_h264mvc 61440 0
                  amvdec_h264 147456 0
                  amvdec_mavs 49152 0
                  amvdec_avs 69632 0
                  amvdec_avs2 212992 0
                  stream_input 204800 12 amvdec_h265,amvdec_mavs,amvdec_mh264,amvdec_h264mv c,amvdec_ports,amvdec_real,amvdec_vp9,amvdec_h264, amvdec_avs2,amvdec_mpeg12,amvdec_avs,amvdec_mmpeg1 2
                  decoder_common 184320 18 amvdec_h265,amvdec_mavs,amvdec_mjpeg,amvdec_mh264, amvdec_mmpeg4,amvdec_h264mvc,amvdec_mmjpeg,amvdec_ ports,amvdec_real,stream_input,amvdec_vp9,amvdec_h 264,amvdec_avs2,amvdec_mpeg12,amvdec_avs,amvdec_vc 1,amvdec_mmpeg12,amvdec_mpeg4
                  firmware 28672 18 amvdec_h265,amvdec_mavs,amvdec_mjpeg,amvdec_mh264, amvdec_mmpeg4,amvdec_h264mvc,amvdec_mmjpeg,decoder _common,amvdec_real,stream_input,amvdec_vp9,amvdec _h264,amvdec_avs2,amvdec_mpeg12,amvdec_avs,amvdec_ vc1,amvdec_mmpeg12,amvdec_mpeg4
                  media_clock 45056 12 amvdec_h265,amvdec_mavs,amvdec_mh264,decoder_commo n,amvdec_ports,firmware,stream_input,amvdec_vp9,am vdec_h264,amvdec_avs2,amvdec_mpeg12,amvdec_avs
                  amlvideodri 24576 0
                  videobuf_res 16384 1 amlvideodri
                  videobuf_core 32768 2 amlvideodri,videobuf_res
                  videodev 307200 9 tuner,amlvideodri,v4l2_common,au8522_decoder,video buf2_common,amvdec_ports,au0828,v4l2_mem2mem,video buf2_v4l2
                  mc 53248 8 tuner,au8522_decoder,videobuf2_common,videodev,au0 828,dvb_core,v4l2_mem2mem,videobuf2_v4l2
                  fbcon 61440 0
                  bitblit 16384 1 fbcon
                  softcursor 16384 1 bitblit
                  font 20480 1 fbcon

I dont know enough to understand how to use this to resolve my issue. My hope is that you or someone here can give my guidance.

Comment

lspci
                    lsusb
                    lsmod
                    I can't install the firmware. It could be that I am not doing it correctly, but it appears to me that the vendor simply does not support kernel 4.9. I know that 4.4 is supported as is 5.4. When I tried:

beelink@Beelink:~$ sudo apt-get install linux-hwe-mediatree
                    Building dependency tree
                    E: Unable to locate package linux-hwe-mediatree

Then I tried....
                    beelink@Beelink:~$ sudo apt-get install linux-mediatree
                    Building dependency tree
                    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
                    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
                    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
                    or been moved out of Incoming.
                    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                    linux-mediatree : Depends: linux-image-5.4.0-512010201020-generic but it is not installable
                    Depends: linux-modules-5.4.0-512010201020-generic but it is not installable
                    Depends: linux-modules-extra-5.4.0-512010201020-generic but it is not installable
                    Depends: linux-headers-5.4.0-512010201020-generic but it is not installable
                    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I checked the kernel version that I am using in Coreelec:
                    CoreELEC:~ # cat /proc/version
                    Linux version 4.9.113 (ray@laptop) (gcc version 8.3.0 (GNU Toolchain for the A-profile Architecture 8.3-2019.03 (arm-rel-8.36)) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Aug 14 20:30:41 UTC 2020

I ran lspci (there is no pci slot in the GT King) and I ran lsusb with in both Coreelec and Ubuntu. The reports were identical. Where the difference is is when I ran lsmod:
                    Ubuntu 'Module Size Used by CoreELEC:~ # lsmod
                    zram 36864 4 Module Size Used by
                    mali_kbase 475136 0 au8522_dig 16384 1
                    iv009_isp 540672 0 xc5000 32768 2
                    iv009_isp_sensor 270336 0 tuner 32768 1
                    iv009_isp_lens 69632 0 au8522_decoder 16384 1
                    iv009_isp_iq 544768 0 au8522_common 16384 2 au8522_decoder,au8522_dig
                    galcore 356352 0 au0828 81920 1
                    vpu 49152 0 tveeprom 24576 1 au0828
                    encoder 53248 0 dvb_core 155648 1 au0828
                    amvdec_avs2 192512 0 videobuf2_vmalloc 16384 2 au0828,dvb_core
                    amvdec_vp9 151552 0 hci_uart 86016 1
                    amvdec_vc1 53248 0 btbcm 16384 1 hci_uart
                    amvdec_real 40960 0 btqca 16384 1 hci_uart
                    amvdec_mmpeg4 32768 0 btintel 20480 1 hci_uart
                    amvdec_mpeg4 53248 0 bluetooth 405504 25 hci_uart,btintel,btqca,btbcm
                    amvdec_mmpeg12 40960 0 ir_rc6_decoder 16384 0
                    amvdec_mpeg12 90112 0 ir_nec_decoder 16384 0
                    amvdec_mmjpeg 28672 0 ir_lirc_codec 16384 0
                    amvdec_mjpeg 36864 0 lirc_dev 24576 1 ir_lirc_codec
                    amvdec_h265 135168 0 meson_ir 16384 0
                    amvdec_h264mvc 49152 0 rc_core 36864 6 ir_rc6_decoder,ir_nec_decoder,ir_lirc_codec,meson_ ir,lirc_dev
                    amvdec_mh264 151552 0 dhd 1171456 0
                    amvdec_h264 118784 0 wireguard 139264 0
                    amvdec_avs 61440 0 ip6_udp_tunnel 16384 1 wireguard
                    stream_input 180224 10 amvdec_h265,amvdec_mh264,amvdec_h264mvc,amvdec_rea l,amvdec_vp9,amvdec_h264,amvdec_avs2,amvdec_mpeg12 ,amvdec_avs,amvdec_mmpeg12 udp_tunnel 16384 1 wireguard
                    decoder_common 176128 17 amvdec_h265,amvdec_mjpeg,amvdec_mh264,amvdec_mmpeg 4,amvdec_h264mvc,amvdec_mmjpeg,amvdec_real,stream_ input,amvdec_vp9,amvdec_h264,encoder,amvdec_avs2,a mvdec_mpeg12,amvdec_avs,amvdec_vc1,amvdec_mmpeg12, amvdec_mpeg4 joydev 24576 0
                    firmware 28672 18 amvdec_h265,amvdec_mjpeg,amvdec_mh264,amvdec_mmpeg 4,amvdec_h264mvc,amvdec_mmjpeg,decoder_common,amvd ec_real,stream_input,amvdec_vp9,amvdec_h264,encode r,amvdec_avs2,amvdec_mpeg12,amvdec_avs,amvdec_vc1, amvdec_mmpeg12,amvdec_mpeg4 mali_kbase 499712 3
                    media_clock 45056 12 amvdec_h265,amvdec_mh264,decoder_common,vpu,firmwa re,stream_input,amvdec_vp9,amvdec_h264,encoder,amv dec_avs2,amvdec_mpeg12,amvdec_avs wifi_dummy 16384 0
                    dhd 1404928 0 amvdec_vp9 126976 0
                    btrfs 1269760 0 amvdec_vc1 65536 0
                    xor 20480 1 btrfs amvdec_real 45056 0
                    raid6_pq 106496 1 btrfs amvdec_ports 200704 0
                    v4l2_common 20480 4 tuner,au8522_decoder,amvdec_ports,au0828
                    videobuf2_dma_contig 20480 1 amvdec_ports
                    videobuf2_memops 16384 2 videobuf2_dma_contig,videobuf2_vmalloc
                    v4l2_mem2mem 36864 1 amvdec_ports
                    videobuf2_v4l2 32768 3 amvdec_ports,au0828,v4l2_mem2mem
                    videobuf2_common 69632 5 amvdec_ports,au0828,dvb_core,v4l2_mem2mem,videobuf 2_v4l2
                    amvdec_mpeg4 65536 0
                    amvdec_mpeg12 106496 0
                    amvdec_mmpeg4 40960 0
                    amvdec_mmpeg12 45056 0
                    amvdec_mmjpeg 32768 0
                    amvdec_mjpeg 40960 0
                    amvdec_mh264 163840 0
                    amvdec_h265 155648 0
                    amvdec_h264mvc 61440 0
                    amvdec_h264 147456 0
                    amvdec_mavs 49152 0
                    amvdec_avs 69632 0
                    amvdec_avs2 212992 0
                    stream_input 204800 12 amvdec_h265,amvdec_mavs,amvdec_mh264,amvdec_h264mv c,amvdec_ports,amvdec_real,amvdec_vp9,amvdec_h264, amvdec_avs2,amvdec_mpeg12,amvdec_avs,amvdec_mmpeg1 2
                    decoder_common 184320 18 amvdec_h265,amvdec_mavs,amvdec_mjpeg,amvdec_mh264, amvdec_mmpeg4,amvdec_h264mvc,amvdec_mmjpeg,amvdec_ ports,amvdec_real,stream_input,amvdec_vp9,amvdec_h 264,amvdec_avs2,amvdec_mpeg12,amvdec_avs,amvdec_vc 1,amvdec_mmpeg12,amvdec_mpeg4
                    firmware 28672 18 amvdec_h265,amvdec_mavs,amvdec_mjpeg,amvdec_mh264, amvdec_mmpeg4,amvdec_h264mvc,amvdec_mmjpeg,decoder _common,amvdec_real,stream_input,amvdec_vp9,amvdec _h264,amvdec_avs2,amvdec_mpeg12,amvdec_avs,amvdec_ vc1,amvdec_mmpeg12,amvdec_mpeg4
                    media_clock 45056 12 amvdec_h265,amvdec_mavs,amvdec_mh264,decoder_commo n,amvdec_ports,firmware,stream_input,amvdec_vp9,am vdec_h264,amvdec_avs2,amvdec_mpeg12,amvdec_avs
                    amlvideodri 24576 0
                    videobuf_res 16384 1 amlvideodri
                    videobuf_core 32768 2 amlvideodri,videobuf_res
                    videodev 307200 9 tuner,amlvideodri,v4l2_common,au8522_decoder,video buf2_common,amvdec_ports,au0828,v4l2_mem2mem,video buf2_v4l2
                    mc 53248 8 tuner,au8522_decoder,videobuf2_common,videodev,au0 828,dvb_core,v4l2_mem2mem,videobuf2_v4l2
                    fbcon 61440 0
                    bitblit 16384 1 fbcon
                    softcursor 16384 1 bitblit
                    font 20480 1 fbcon
                    I dont know enough to understand how to use this to resolve my issue. My hope is that you or someone here can give my guidance.
                    [/QUOTE]

Firmware installation needs 5.4 mainline kernel as dependency.
                    I'm sorry 5.x kernel is not stable for GT King Pro.

Comment

Firmware installation needs 5.4 mainline kernel as dependency.
                      I'm sorry 5.x kernel is not stable for GT King Pro.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for confirming the point that you made on your initial note when you provided a means through which people could run Ubuntu on GT King devices. Your point is understood that 5.4 kernel is not stable for GT King.

Can you please help me understand why the tuner device works flawlessly on CoreElec when, as I pointed out, it is running on Kernel 4.9.113? My goal is not to change the kernel. I included that information so that you would have as much information as I could in the hope that you, or someone on the board can help me. To be clear, yy goal is to have a fully functioning TVHeadend installation running on my GT King in an Ubuntu Linux distribution. To this end I need to either 1) get my device working in Ubuntu as it does in Coreelec or, to 2) get a different device that will afford an ability to view local television and to record TV using my current Ubuntu build.

I know so little, but I was hoping that the lsmod comparison between the Ubuntu installation and the Coretec installation might provide clues, but you seem to have shut that down in your latest response. Was this an oversight by you, and if not, can you explain why the difference does not matter?

Comment

Thank you for confirming the point that you made on your initial note when you provided a means through which people could run Ubuntu on GT King devices. Your point is understood that 5.4 kernel is not stable for GT King.

Can you please help me understand why the tuner device works flawlessly on CoreElec when, as I pointed out, it is running on Kernel 4.9.113? My goal is not to change the kernel. I included that information so that you would have as much information as I could in the hope that you, or someone on the board can help me. To be clear, yy goal is to have a fully functioning TVHeadend installation running on my GT King in an Ubuntu Linux distribution. To this end I need to either 1) get my device working in Ubuntu as it does in Coreelec or, to 2) get a different device that will afford an ability to view local television and to record TV using my current Ubuntu build.

I know so little, but I was hoping that the lsmod comparison between the Ubuntu installation and the Coretec installation might provide clues, but you seem to have shut that down in your latest response. Was this an oversight by you, and if not, can you explain why the difference does not matter?
                        Actually it is pretty simple Coreelec is a media device operating system which must support all tv tuners.
                        Debian or Ubuntu are desktop operating systems, and primary goal is not to run TVheadend Kodi etc.
                        Debian ARM or Ubuntu ARM builds need special efforts below to run TV Tuners.
                        1- We need to compile 4.9 Kernel with TV Tuner Support (like Coreelec),
                        2- We need to add TV Tuner firmware to the build (like Coreelec).

Comment

Originally posted by darkstar View Post

Actually it is pretty simple Coreelec is a media device operating system which must support all tv tuners.
                          Debian or Ubuntu are desktop operating systems, and primary goal is not to run TVheadend Kodi etc.
                          Debian ARM or Ubuntu ARM builds need special efforts below to run TV Tuners.
                          1- We need to compile 4.9 Kernel with TV Tuner Support (like Coreelec),
                          2- We need to add TV Tuner firmware to the build (like Coreelec).
                          With that in mind, is this something that can be done? If so, what do I need to get to get to facilitate this? Is it the actual source code or is it something else? Would this be too complicated for me to try to accomplish on my own or is this something best left to professional programmers? If professional programmer's need to be involved, is the effort required something that would be affordable to an individual, or is would the effort needed be so great that it would require the vast resources of a small or medium sized nation (akin to finding a cure for cancer)?

I think the TV Tuner is an old model. If you know of a different tuner device that WILL work, it may be a better solution to simply replace the device.

I am not sure whether you noticed or not, but in the Coreelec lsmod, the firmware that I have installed in my Ubuntu build, "xc5000" is present. Is it fair to assume that the missing pieces are the media-tree and kernel. What do you recommend as my next steps?

Comment

With that in mind, is this something that can be done? If so, what do I need to get to get to facilitate this? Is it the actual source code or is it something else? Would this be too complicated for me to try to accomplish on my own or is this something best left to professional programmers? If professional programmer's need to be involved, is the effort required something that would be affordable to an individual, or is would the effort needed be so great that it would require the vast resources of a small or medium sized nation (akin to finding a cure for cancer)?

I think the TV Tuner is an old model. If you know of a different tuner device that WILL work, it may be a better solution to simply replace the device.

I am not sure whether you noticed or not, but in the Coreelec lsmod, the firmware that I have installed in my Ubuntu build, "xc5000" is present. Is it fair to assume that the missing pieces are the media-tree and kernel. What do you recommend as my next steps?
                            I wrote what needs to be done to get it work, it is up to you if you can do it or not.
                            xc5000 is just tuner module v4l2 modules audio modules must be loaded too so it is not that simple.

Just for your information I'm using an Enigma2 device for watching TV. There are cheap Enigma2 devices on the market.
                            I stream TV channels on my network with it and in my opinion it is better solution than TV Headend.

Comment

Working...
                            X