How to get 5.1 audio with recordings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get 5.1 audio with recordings

The main reason I bought the BEELINK SEA 1 was for the ability to record from streaming services with 5.1 audio. Apparently, many reviewers are clueless about the actual capabilities of this unit and are spreading disinformation. First, I was under the impression that it could record in 2160p. Second, it's also supposed to be able to record from a 5.1 audio source. Streaming services like Netflix and Amazon both offer titles in 2160p with 5.1 audio. When I record directly from either source the end recording is only in 1080p with 2.0 stereo audio. I have the output of my streaming box split with one side going to my preamp/processor and the other going to the SEA 1. All devices are HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 capable and the SEA 1 is configured with the HDMI 2.0 setting. Is there something I'm missing in the setup that's preventing the unit from recording 2160p with 5.1 audio or is this a fixed limitation of the device?

Hmmm. Two months and nobody has an answer to this question. I posted a similar question at the Beelink support forum and haven't gotten a response there either. You'd think that someone would know if 5.1 audio recording is possible or not. It's becoming quite clear that nobody has a friggin clue.

Comment

I was playing with one of these a few weeks ago.

In all the reviews that I had seen, I never saw anybody mention the ability to capture in 4k resolution because generally, this would incur the wrath of Intel because it would bypass HDCP restrictions.

Intel did one attempt to take a vendor to court over a devices ability to capture a 4k stream but it was thrown out because the output was only 1080p and was therefore not in breach on any laws but the same would not have been the case if the output had been 4k, so for now, it's a case of accepting this limitation.

Many dedicated capture devices also only output 2 channel audio, especially at the cheaper end of the market that the SEA I also sits at and I also found that 2 channels was the only output option.

In some ways it is good that the box can accept the 5.1 input stream in the first place, as many capture boxes can't even do that.

There may be licencing issues in effect that have prevented the desired output to keep the costs down, although with the Dolby patent expiry recently expiring, it may be possible for vendors to output to that format at least, dependent upon the hardwares ability to do so in the first place.

I'm not surprised that you didn't get a response over at the Beelink support forums because they are a shambolic mess, matched only by the consistent and exceptionally poor support offered by Beelink as a whole.
      R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

Originally posted by bluesmanuk View Post
        I was playing with one of these a few weeks ago.

In all the reviews that I had seen, I never saw anybody mention the ability to capture in 4k resolution because generally, this would incur the wrath of Intel because it would bypass HDCP restrictions.

Intel did one attempt to take a vendor to court over a devices ability to capture a 4k stream but it was thrown out because the output was only 1080p and was therefore not in breach on any laws but the same would not have been the case if the output had been 4k, so for now, it's a case of accepting this limitation.

Many dedicated capture devices also only output 2 channel audio, especially at the cheaper end of the market that the SEA I also sits at and I also found that 2 channels was the only output option.

In some ways it is good that the box can accept the 5.1 input stream in the first place, as many capture boxes can't even do that.

There may be licencing issues in effect that have prevented the desired output to keep the costs down, although with the Dolby patent expiry recently expiring, it may be possible for vendors to output to that format at least, dependent upon the hardwares ability to do so in the first place.

I'm not surprised that you didn't get a response over at the Beelink support forums because they are a shambolic mess, matched only by the consistent and exceptionally poor support offered by Beelink as a whole.
        Thanks. I really didn't think it could record 2160p, but I always got the impression that it was supposed to be able to capture the digital stream intact via HDMI and therefore retain the 5.1 audio. The specs on the box say it can do 4K so that's why I asked about it. I'm using an internal hard drive to capture the recording so maybe if I try it with an external drive and use another device for playback it will see the 5.1 audio. I didn't think about the Dolby licensing issue so perhaps that's why it only shows the audio as 2-channel stereo when I check the file properties in the Beelink itself. I'm hoping that the 5.1 audio is there but the SEA 1 just isn't doesn't have that playback capability from anything it records. I think it's supposed to be able to handle 5.1 audio, but there again maybe that's just for playback from other sources and not from internal recordings. Accurate reviews and specs on this thing are sketchy at best. I agree about the Beelink forums. The support they provide is pitiful at best.

Comment

Originally posted by captain_video View Post

Thanks. I really didn't think it could record 2160p, but I always got the impression that it was supposed to be able to capture the digital stream intact via HDMI and therefore retain the 5.1 audio. The specs on the box say it can do 4K so that's why I asked about it. I'm using an internal hard drive to capture the recording so maybe if I try it with an external drive and use another device for playback it will see the 5.1 audio. I didn't think about the Dolby licensing issue so perhaps that's why it only shows the audio as 2-channel stereo when I check the file properties in the Beelink itself. I'm hoping that the 5.1 audio is there but the SEA 1 just isn't doesn't have that playback capability from anything it records. I think it's supposed to be able to handle 5.1 audio, but there again maybe that's just for playback from other sources and not from internal recordings. Accurate reviews and specs on this thing are sketchy at best. I agree about the Beelink forums. The support they provide is pitiful at best.
          What might be useful is to ask around on the Zidoo forums to see if the X9S has the 5.1 capture capability through their own software.

With it having the same SOC, I'm sure that one of the more experienced users over there will at least be able to confirm things in order to either give you or extinguish hope.
          R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

Working...
          X