Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

seeking advide on my first android stick / de-mystifying the subject (already read the faq)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seeking advide on my first android stick / de-mystifying the subject (already read the faq)

hi guys,

you wouldn't need to start at zero, i work in IT as a network administrator.

Explaining Why and Where to Use It:
    so i decided to want an android stick for the 3rd (not so smart)tv.
    A) id only use it to stream media from my nas with a plex server running on it.
    B) id like to watch those videos in full hd, without any performance loss, frame-****-ups or the likes.
    C) this device wouldnt be used for games.
    D) it should be able to surf the web (occasionaly) and read a mail or two.
    E) wifi without any problems would be perfect / Ethernet (RJ45) possibility would be Great (usb to rj45 female adapter currently present at home)
    F) even if those requierements are not really fancy (i guess) id like to have a device with enough power to easily get all those things done and then some
    G) id much prefer a "stick" over a "box"
    H) id like to spend under a 100€

Questions:
    1) is the overheating/generall heat still a problem with those sticks?
    2) is there still a WIFI signal problem with those sticks (lags when streaming 1080p)?
    3) does it play a big role if android 4.2 or 4.4 or even 5 (if possible on those sticks)?
    4) why are there so many ROMS (modified operating systems i guess)?
    4b) are those ROMS only available to fix bugs, or do they free some additional features?
    5) i honestly dont know any of those stick vendors. "andoer", "beelink", "mystore365" and so on. which ones are relieable and legit?
    6) i saw about 8 different vendors making a model called mk808 with the exact same specs - are there differences between them ? - and if so - how do i find the right/best one ?
    7) what means MKxxxi/ii/iii/v/ ?

The Obvious:
    which model can you guys prefer based on your knowledge by using the prefered device. (by keeping in mind my described field of needs)

i want to thank you guys already for your hopefully helpfull answers!

p.s.: as far as i know there are more than one cpu's which seemed to me right now, are the biggest differences, please dont let this thread for seeking help turn into a fan war

thanks!

Originally posted by carnage View Post
    hi guys,

you wouldn't need to start at zero, i work in IT as a network administrator.

Explaining Why and Where to Use It:
    so i decided to want an android stick for the 3rd (not so smart)tv.
    A) id only use it to stream media from my nas with a plex server running on it.
    B) id like to watch those videos in full hd, without any performance loss, frame-****-ups or the likes.
    C) this device wouldnt be used for games.
    D) it should be able to surf the web (occasionaly) and read a mail or two.
    E) wifi without any problems would be perfect / Ethernet (RJ45) possibility would be Great (usb to rj45 female adapter currently present at home)
    F) even if those requierements are not really fancy (i guess) id like to have a device with enough power to easily get all those things done and then some
    G) id much prefer a "stick" over a "box"
    H) id like to spend under a 100€

Questions:
    1) is the overheating/generall heat still a problem with those sticks?
    2) is there still a WIFI signal problem with those sticks (lags when streaming 1080p)?
    3) does it play a big role if android 4.2 or 4.4 or even 5 (if possible on those sticks)?
    4) why are there so many ROMS (modified operating systems i guess)?
    4b) are those ROMS only available to fix bugs, or do they free some additional features?
    5) i honestly dont know any of those stick vendors. "andoer", "beelink", "mystore365" and so on. which ones are relieable and legit?
    6) i saw about 8 different vendors making a model called mk808 with the exact same specs - are there differences between them ? - and if so - how do i find the right/best one ?
    7) what means MKxxxi/ii/iii/v/ ?

The Obvious:
    which model can you guys prefer based on your knowledge by using the prefered device. (by keeping in mind my described field of needs)

i want to thank you guys already for your hopefully helpfull answers!

p.s.: as far as i know there are more than one cpu's which seemed to me right now, are the biggest differences, please dont let this thread for seeking help turn into a fan war

thanks!
    MK808B Plus works well with plex. Streaming works Well.....looks like that is your main use...Guy i sold one too also says it is clearer than his roku box he used to use.
    Prahjister ****MK808(nonB)****MK808B V5****MK808B Plus****UBOX R89**** CX919****MK808B Pro****Nexbox N9****Eny Em95****Matricon Q2****Tanix TX5 Pro****

Comment

Answers:
      1) If you aren't using them for games, you can stream with them and they won't get very hot. My MK903V resets itself when it gets too hot (I tried with RipTide GP2). Since then, I throttled it to 1.4Ghz and my MK809III to 1.0Ghz because I want them to last forever.

2) I was just streaming a 1080p movie online, no problems even with throttling. If you stream locally, you will not see any problems.

3) Android version doesn't matter, but try to get 4.4 or later, it's just a better version.

4) Each device needs a ROM based on the hardware it runs. Some get upgrades and newer versions, like 4.1 to 4.2 or 4.4, and need a new ROM.

4b) ROMS usually are made to clean up the stock ROM from any useless software or customize it to the use it will have, like streaming or gaming. Most don't offer any added functionality, aside from ROOT access.

5) Most are reliable, even the unbranded ones. One company may release the same device under several brands. I recommend buying from geekbuying.com, I have make three purchases there and have not had a problem.

6) MK808B is kind of a dated model, and there are many clones. MK808B Plus is on par with the MK809III in terms of performance.

7) When a device is released by a manufacturer, it may go through different versions and upgrades. This is the version number. For instance, MK809II with RK3066 chip becomes MK809III when RK3188 is used, MK903IV with RK3188 becomes MK903V with RK3288.

You may want to check out the RKM V5 (link to review and link to geekbuying). Edit, looks like it's right at your price range.
      Currently Inactive on Freaktab.com
      I use: MK903V | MELE F10 Deluxe | Roku 3600R
      RIP: MK808b | MK809III | PIPO M9 Pro

Comment

i really want to thank you for that elaborate and enlightening quality-answer budgetgeek!

i found this rkm v5 on on the german amazon site (austrias need to buy from german amazon):

ist that the stick you wanted me to check out ? i ask that stupid questions because this one is from andoer but has the same specs and the same model name!

if that one supports CEC and runs plex smoothly ill buy it for sure. seems like that thing got a lot of power

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by carnage View Post
          i really want to thank you for that elaborate and enlightening quality-answer budgetgeek!

i found this rkm v5 on on the german amazon site (austrias need to buy from german amazon):

ist that the stick you wanted me to check out ? i ask that stupid questions because this one is from andoer but has the same specs and the same model name!

if that one supports CEC and runs plex smoothly ill buy it for sure. seems like that thing got a lot of power

Thank you!
          Blinkone says that CEC is available.

That is probably the same thing. It's a new enough device that you probably won't get clones yet. I think the device name is V5 but it's technically an MK802V, "fifth generation MK802." With the RK3288 chip, it's practically future proof, and I saw that you already have USB to Ethernet cable, but this one has it built in, so you don't have to worry about compatibility. I use wifi only, so I got the MK903V, which has an antenna.

Another bonus, you should be able to use RKRemoteControl from your android phone to control the device, so no need for a remote purchase!

Comment

Sorry to butt in here guys,The link Carnage posted looks like the real deal to me.Iv not seen a clone of this device yet

http://www.amazon.de/Andoer%C2%AE-An...eywords=rkm+v5

The V5 is a very powerfull device iv been more than impressed by it, the boot time alone is only 15/20 seconds.

This is the email i got from RKM when i asked them about HDMI CEC

Just get inform from our engineer just now,our new standard fw has support HDMI CEC also,download link is here:
            V5 FW
            150112: https://copy.com/ELpVovJqtknxUeyz
            But i cant seem to find any options for CEC on the stick even with the new FW..On my other device's i go to settings/ CEC controll turn everything on & then i can controll the device with my tv remote.I have not found out how to do this with the V5 unless im missing something.
            Please consider making a Donation to freakTab

Comment

too bad. right after my decision to buy the rkm v5, amazon decided that they currently dont sell them anymore.

Comment

You could buy it from geekbuying.

China-1 Stock | Buy RKM V5 RK3288 TV Dongle Stick RJ45 1000M LAN 2GB RAM 16GB ROM Android 4.4 2.4G/5G WIFI Bluetooth - Black online at unbeatable prices. ✓Free Shipping ✓Limited Time Sale ✓Local Warehouses.

Comment

& here for a EU shop
                  http://www.usellisell.com/riko-mk80-...ndroid-box-187

Or there's the RKM Aliexpress store
                  http://www.aliexpress.com/store/810525
                  Last edited by blinkone; 02-09-2015, 18:36.
                  Please consider making a Donation to freakTab

Comment

Originally posted by prahjister View Post
                    MK808B Plus works well with plex. Streaming works Well.....looks like that is your main use...Guy i sold one too also says it is clearer than his roku box he used to use.
                    I've got an MK808 and was wondering if it will stream movies from Showbox that I have on my PC?Or is there another APP that will work with the MK808 for free movies?

Comment

Working...
                    X