Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob Seeking Device Advice...

Hello fellow 'Freaktabians',

Please accept my apologies, if this has already been asked. I'm about to purchase an Android TV player but wanted to select the model that works best with Bob's custom ROMs.

I plan to use it mainly for playback of HD video, ideally in XBMC. I understand that XBMC only supports hardware acceleration on the AMLogic chipsets.

I'm guessing that the MK808 combined with the highly rated custom ROM(s) found here might work well?

From what I've read, the Wi-Fi hardware in the MK808 is a little flaky? That shouldn't be too much of an issue for me though as there will be a solid signal level where it'll be located.

Anyway, any suggestions and/or help would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks,
    Stuart...

After many read and tests, I can say that the Minix is being very prestigious (launch with real 1080p and other features, more info: www.facebook.com/minixtech).

Currently has no Finless ROM, but are developing very well the firmware.

Another I like is the Rikomagic MK802III (www.rikomagic.com or www.rikomagic.co.uk/forum).

Comment

Originally posted by blackk View Post
      After many read and tests, I can say that the Minix is being very prestigious (launch with real 1080p and other features, more info: www.facebook.com/minixtech).

Currently has no Finless ROM, but are developing very well the firmware.

Another I like is the Rikomagic MK802III (www.rikomagic.com or www.rikomagic.co.uk/forum).
      Hey there 'Blackk', thanks for the info, much appreciated. Do you own either of these devices?

Anybody else recommend a particular device? Thanks in advance....

Comment

Honestly if you want the BEST advice(and device) wait until the spring. These units just started popping out of china and pretty soon some more reputable companies will start to develop some quality hardware. If you really need something now, ug802 is what Bob is developing for. The ug007 has bluetooth but Im pretty sure its not compatible with Bob's roms. I just got my ug802, its pretty cool but again, has its problems. Still a solid device.

Comment

I own a MK802, MK808 and a G4 (MINIX) and would definitely recommend the G4 over any of the others. It feels much more like a quality product, with a stable ICS rom (JB coming soon) and a wifi connection that doesn't drop all the time.

If you don't own a USB hub, and are planning on using some USB devices, I've been told that the MINIX X5 benchmarks even higher than the G4, and that the wlan chip should be the same as in the G4. It does cost a bit more tho, but it has 3x USB ports, ethernet and bluetooth, so it kind of makes up for it if you need this. I would buy one on the spot myself if it had 2gb ram instead of 1:-)

Comment

Working...
          X