Vizio Co-Star?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio Co-Star?

I just started seeing TV commercials in the USA for this device.

Exertis is our fastest growing distributor.

Anyone tried it yet?

One cool looking feature is HDMI in so screen can be split between input TV stuff and Web from box.

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

I heard that it has an overheating problem. Vizio knows about the problem and tells customers not to leave the device plugged in all the time. I thought about buying one but when I saw several negative reviews on amazon I decided to look elsewhere.

Comment

Hey Bob
      I have had the vizio costar for about 4 months now. Since it was first launched.
      It has plus and minus. I'll try to sum them up.

The Good+...
      It's user interface is slick. I do like that.
      Its uses android and I believe its ICS.
      System UI uses a HDMI pass through to integrate with your cable box.
      Android layers over the top of your cable box signal integrated together.
      So say your watching live TV and want to visit the web.
      Push a button and the android menu slides out of the left of the screen while still playing live TV.
      Select an app and bam it loads android whatever you want.
      Chrome stock web browser is current version and fully supports flash player content.
      I can't get the same chrome apk with flash to work on our mini dongles????
      Google is supporting this devise with flash but is cutting the cord with all other devices? Fishy!
      Plays 1080p vids perfectly, no lag, no sync issues, no wifi issues, no bluetooth issues.
      I have had no heat issues. Others have had heat issues and set up fans to cool it down.
      I also like the remote, very useful and has a mini track pad. That works perfect.
      It also pairs up with your TV controls. So the vizio remote will control channels and volume.

The Bad-
      It is NOT ROOTED. It has no support of devs or any root development.
      Their was one guy that did root it.
      But he would not show us how to root it or provide any info on the matter.
      His comments on the subject have mysterious been removed from the web.

That really killed the possible development.
      When I first bought it. I side loaded root explorer and that worked.
      I was able to see root and all system files. But was read only.
      Now the app has been blocked. They don't want you fishing around.

Apps are very limited in compatibility.
      I would say 85% to 90% of play store apps do not work on the co-star.
      They will not load and if they do install, they force close. Google or Vizio is crushing the dream.
      Side loading apps worked for a while but they just did an update and removed that option.
      Custom version of apps have been made to work with the device.
      So like PLEX has a custom GOOGLE TV app and that works very well.
      XMBC... nada, force close. DNLA is supported for streaming content.

In short, the unit is stable and works.
      BUT is crippled without root and 90% of app incompatibility.
      For mom and pop its a perfect device. For us peps that want more user control. IT FAILS.

Unless it gets root and dev community support, its a dead fish.
      So I gota ask you Bob, would you be willing to root it?
      I would let you barrow my unit to test out and try to root.
      It just sits in my office unused... lol
      Last edited by userx; 11-30-2012, 09:39.

Comment

I concur

UserX is right with his assessment. I purchased one about a month ago and after about 30 min, I turned it off, boxed it up, returned it to Amazon, and ordered my MK808.

It is too limited - the only redeemable quality I saw was the Cable box pass-through. The Google TV 'Model' of the Android OS is too handcuffed.

-Jeff

P.S. - The remote was decent too.

Comment

AW: Vizio Co-Star?

Its an old threat but while digging around i saw it has the same soc like my new box...

So maybe my way to root my box can work for the vizio too. @userx did you check if adb over lan is avaliable? Is yes routing is very easy. If you are interested i can explain what to do.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P7500 mit Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by sn0w View Post
            Its an old threat but while digging around i saw it has the same soc like my new box...

So maybe my way to root my box can work for the vizio too. @userx did you check if adb over lan is avaliable? Is yes routing is very easy. If you are interested i can explain what to do.

Nope I did not try. What is this process?
            btw.. I'm on a Mac. But could use fake windows if needed.

Comment

Connect the box via lan with your network. write down the device ip. U need to have installed the sdk..

Steps under windows: start >run >cmd
              cd sdk-folder/sdk/platform-tools/ (thats where adb is stored)

adb tcpip 5555
              adb connect 192.168.xx.xxx:5555

Than should come

Connected with 192.168.xxx.xxxx port 5555

192.168... Must be your device ip... If adb is running and connected you can check if you have su in shell... Type

adb shell
              su

If you get the # and no errors you have adb with root shell and can try to root the device. Stepps to root you find here

This will only work if you can access a root prompt (#) in adb shell! THIS WAS DONE AFTER DOING A WIPE FROM THE VOLUME DOWN MENU WHEN BOOTING THE PRIME! I do not know if this will work without the wipe, but it very well may. Maybe someone more...

There are 2 small errors in this post... Stepp 4. and 8. must be /Superuser.apk not /superuser.apk ... With lowercase filename it wont work. Needed files you can find in the opening post of the threat.

Oh and its for linux the same...

Comment

I forgot... You need to enable usb debuggung in settings. If you dont have the normal android setting you could sideload a different launcher.

Comment

I almost bought one, but ultimately decided on regular Android. These boxes have a touch interface stripped UI so 90% of apps that require just a little touch is SOL. Also google.TV is not updated very often and is VERY different from the regular Android tree. If you want a great no muss no fuss media player you simply cannot go wrong.

If your a tweak hound then stay away as rooting the device still gives you very little since the guts are so stripped down as google.tv serves one purpose and doesn't need much else.

Comment

Returned...

I purchased the Sony GS7 last week for $149 and returned it 5 days later!

I did love the device (wife actually liked integration of tv w/web seach PIP function) but I was,severly annoyed by the extremely limited play store limits. The streaming tv apps are sufficient, but not all we would want but the apps in gen are minimal, which I found unacceptable.

I could not justify the $150 tag when for $50 I have a kickass Finless Bob mini pc that does 90% of what I want (minus the cable/tv integration).

I feel if someone would come out with an sufficient ARM processor GTV (not Intel CPU) device that we could 'access' and have full GPlay functions, then, and only then, will GTV take off...

Comment

Google TV is to be updated to Jelly Bean

The news is that the forked google TV honeycomb is finally going to be updated to jellybean and that it should happen around the end of the summer. That should make a big difference on app compatability and hopefully there will be more support and development. Used units are selling for around 40.00 on amazon so I am going to pick one up. I would love to see it get rooted and get a custom rom, that would make it much more popular.

Comment

Still no update to JB...

Originally posted by morr22066 View Post
                        The news is that the forked google TV honeycomb is finally going to be updated to jellybean and that it should happen around the end of the summer. That should make a big difference on app compatability and hopefully there will be more support and development. Used units are selling for around 40.00 on amazon so I am going to pick one up. I would love to see it get rooted and get a custom rom, that would make it much more popular.
                        It's bee a year and still no update to the new jellybean version that was released by Google. And vizio still has not said whether or not they will update it. I still use my vizio co-star to watch Netflix but with the limitations and lack of compatible apps it is starting to collect dust... I would still like to see it get updated or at least rooted so we could get a custom rom...

Comment

I just tried Geohots towelroot app that suppose to root almost any device. FAIL it didn't root the co-star. I guess google is moving 100% forward on Android TV and leaving behind Google TV to rot in hell with no future updates.

Comment

Is there anyone able to make a customer rom with Jelly Bean for Co-star?

Thanks

Comment

The co-star is beyond dead... #1 no one ever publicly published a root for it. #2 If they did get root. The processing power is very dated and coding is not worth the time and effort.

Comment

Working...
                              X