X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

proof of power supply

IMO

As described above, the power supply for these TV sticks is marginal.

There seem to be many questions, including my own, of which discount offering will provide suitable power, reliably, especially when increasing performance, and demand on the unit.

Additionally, as described above, what seems to be lacking is integrity, in the performance claims of AC/DC power supplies available in the customary online markets... at an affordable price.

Among my questions are, What is the capability of the onboard voltage regulation circuit?
    ...an increase in voltage applied to the unit must be controlled by the internal circuitry and will be dissipated as heat. SO, it is best to apply voltage as close to 5v as possible.
    ...an increase in ampacity is beneficial because power is only consumed as required by the device. Increased ampacity will decreased surges and spikes. The downside will be the physical size of the power supply.

What WE need here is a competent techinician with suitable equipment to test a number of commonly available power supplies which are inexpensive from common sources, in at least most all countries.

He should be able to test the supplies under variable load, AND, be capable of viewing possible interference generated by simultaneously using a spectrum analyzer to determine if RF generated may interfere with the device.

An increase in distance, or shielding applied to the supply will generally improve RF interference problems.

I do not have such a tech at my convenience... do you?
    :-)
    rc

Comment

Re: Stability issues and power supply.

Originally posted by rustycase View Post
      IMO

As described above, the power supply for these TV sticks is marginal.

There seem to be many questions, including my own, of which discount offering will provide suitable power, reliably, especially when increasing performance, and demand on the unit.

Additionally, as described above, what seems to be lacking is integrity, in the performance claims of AC/DC power supplies available in the customary online markets... at an affordable price.

Among my questions are, What is the capability of the onboard voltage regulation circuit?
      ...an increase in voltage applied to the unit must be controlled by the internal circuitry and will be dissipated as heat. SO, it is best to apply voltage as close to 5v as possible.
      ...an increase in ampacity is beneficial because power is only consumed as required by the device. Increased ampacity will decreased surges and spikes. The downside will be the physical size of the power supply.

What WE need here is a competent techinician with suitable equipment to test a number of commonly available power supplies which are inexpensive from common sources, in at least most all countries.

He should be able to test the supplies under variable load, AND, be capable of viewing possible interference generated by simultaneously using a spectrum analyzer to determine if RF generated may interfere with the device.

An increase in distance, or shielding applied to the supply will generally improve RF interference problems.

I do not have such a tech at my convenience... do you?
      rc
      You are right, I can give you my experience, psvita usb charguer, and if you can get, an usb wire with ferrite better, feed your stick with it, and I assure you no PSU problems, if there is a problem, I can assure you is not a power supply problem. Waiting more reports, please, tell if you dont have problems, with a concrete psu that it is standard in a lot of country and share it with us.
      Thanks.
      REMEMBER, YOUR FEEDBACK IS VERY IMPORTANT TO US.
      My devices:
      Minix Neo X7; Minix Neo X8-H , Minix Neo Z64W & Z64 (Sponsored by Minix)
      MK902 & MK902II(Sponsored by RKM)
      Beelink M8B & Beelink R89 (Sponsored by Beelink)
      Tronsmart VEGA S89H (Sponsored by
      Gearbest.com)
      MELE-PCG03 (Sponsored by Gearbest.com) Discount Coupon:MPCG03
      Ainol Intel Z3735 MiniPC(Sponsored by Gearbest.com)
      Thanks to them I can try to support your devices http://freaktab.com/core/images/smilies/wink.png

Comment

toroid choke

Very good, Leolas!

That would be a toroid choke, and make use of very lite gauge antenna coax wire for the power feed. (But that is kinda hard to come by for most)

The psvita supply does appear to be the most available power supply, as you have said.

If anyone is in the vicinity of Ringebu Airport, Tokoroa, in kiwiLand they might drop in and ask for Bruce.
        He recently got a new spectrum analyzer and is a very helpful fellow... I'm sure he would be glad to inspect a power supply for spurious emissions. He is Xjet on the utoob.

rc

Comment

Best Charger I've Found

This thread really got me thinking about power supplies and device stability. Not only for my MK808B but also my other android devices. So I jumped on **** and ordered two PSVita power supplies from china; what a mistake . If you're going the PSVita route, make sure it's genuine. Otherwise you're getting the same garbage you're trying to get away from. Don't throw money away like I did.

Then through all my subsequent Google searching, I came across this blog by Ken Shirriff where he went and reviewed 12 different USB chargers including genuine and fake apple chargers + other brands.
          When you buy a USB charger, how do you know if you're getting a safe, high-quality charger for your money? You can't tell from the outside...

Really good and informative post. Definitely recommend a read - lots of Oscilloscope screen shots.

For the Cole's notes version, apple makes great USB chargers ... but not the best. The best USB charger in this review actually turned out to be the 2A USB charger that came with the ill-fated HP TouchPad. This charger has very low noise and voltage drop characteristics.

What's more, you can actually get these great HP chargers for $15 on ****. Or via Kijiji for $15 if you're in the Toronto area.

I got mine via Kijiji and have been using it to charge my Nexus 7, Galaxy Nexus, and power my MK808B without any problems

Comment

blog on powers supplies

Tnx for posting the link to Ken's blog about power supplies !

When you buy a USB charger, how do you know if you're getting a safe, high-quality charger for your money? You can't tell from the outside...

Fascinating how we all must learn to be experts on counterfeiting to participate in low buck computing!

rc

Comment

blog on power supplies

Tnx for posting the link to Ken's blog about power supplies !

Fascinating how we all must learn to be experts on counterfeiting to participate in low buck computing!

rc

Comment

Re: Stability issues and power supply.

Originally posted by zuberio View Post
                This thread really got me thinking about power supplies and device stability. Not only for my MK808B but also my other android devices. So I jumped on **** and ordered two PSVita power supplies from china; what a mistake . If you're going the PSVita route, make sure it's genuine. Otherwise you're getting the same garbage you're trying to get away from. Don't throw money away like I did.

Then through all my subsequent Google searching, I came across this blog by Ken Shirriff where he went and reviewed 12 different USB chargers including genuine and fake apple chargers + other brands.

Really good and informative post. Definitely recommend a read - lots of Oscilloscope screen shots.

For the Cole's notes version, apple makes great USB chargers ... but not the best. The best USB charger in this review actually turned out to be the 2A USB charger that came with the ill-fated HP TouchPad. This charger has very low noise and voltage drop characteristics.

What's more, you can actually get these great HP chargers for $15 on ****. Or via Kijiji for $15 if you're in the Toronto area.

I got mine via Kijiji and have been using it to charge my Nexus 7, Galaxy Nexus, and power my MK808B without any problems
                Great info here, thanks a lot.
                My devices:
                Gearbest.com)
                Thanks to them I can try to support your devices http://freaktab.com/core/images/smilies/wink.png

Comment

hello, i have a something to add to the subject. i am currently powering the device with the default 1.5 a i received from the seller, but the problem is with the usb devices. apple ipad's 2a charger was good with one external drive and remote controller. but if i connect another drive, usb ethernet was dying. so i bought another adapter that'll provide 5v and 3a. now it 's all good and the item is overclocked. so more amps are welcome in my case.

Comment

Originally posted by genseric View Post
                    hello, i have a something to add to the subject. i am currently powering the device with the default 1.5 a i received from the seller, but the problem is with the usb devices. apple ipad's 2a charger was good with one external drive and remote controller. but if i connect another drive, usb ethernet was dying. so i bought another adapter that'll provide 5v and 3a. now it 's all good and the item is overclocked. so more amps are welcome in my case.
                    Of course, more amperes are better to ensure that devices plugged to the stick works, but stability and noise in the psu can affect our sticks too.
                    My devices:
                    Gearbest.com)

Comment

Originally posted by leolas View Post
                      Of course, more amperes are better to ensure that devices plugged to the stick works, but stability and noise in the psu can affect our sticks too.
                      definitely, i just read the amp levels from a cheap psu and this expensive 3a psu. the cheap was one just changing the output voltage like crazy. the other is much more solid.

Comment

If you're a little hard up for cash but handy with a soldering iron and shrink tubing, you can often salvage a nice power supply from a broken or disused device. I have a box of the things I've collected over the years and it's surprising how many of them are 5v @ 2+A.

Comment

R: Stability issues and power supply.

I have the next setup:

MK808 -finles 1.7c - 2dark kernel 1.4

Antutu crashes with 2A and 2.5A powersupply.
                          I bought a 5V 5A powersupply and now antutu show me 10800 (1416 cpu, performance governor).

So leave out the 2-2.5A powersupply and buy a 5A

Comment

big spark!

2 amps really is a pretty big spark for one of these little SOC devices...

Exactly which one did you find unsatisfctory?

IMO, there's a difference between manufacturer/vendor claims and what is really going on with output.

Specific product reviews with load testing and spectrum analysis for spurious emissions would be valid and helpful.

The only person doing this sort of thing is Bruce, over at RCModelReviews, on some of the radio control equipment he uses. ...He might be interested in testing various devices???
                            rc

Comment

Could someone point me to a decent power supply for my MK808B?
                              One that's ready to go and available in Europe ( preferably Belgium)?
                              I don't want to cut or solder since i'm not to handy

Thx

L.

Comment

I'd recommend the HP Touchpad Charger - I use it for my MK808B all the time and it's fantastic. Try **** for a good price.

Originally posted by Limitless83 View Post
                                Could someone point me to a decent power supply for my MK808B?
                                One that's ready to go and available in Europe ( preferably Belgium)?
                                I don't want to cut or solder since i'm not to handy

Thx

L.

Comment

Working...
                                X