This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stability issues and power supply.

Well, i see a lot of people who complains about random freezes, reboots, nand corruptions (they makes our devices don't boot and need reflash again), etc..
    I had those stability issues when i bought my minipc, i was frustrated with it, thinking to send back it to the seller. No way to make my device runs stable until i made some test to the stock power supply who comes with my stick (mk808b). I connected an ampere meter to it and found that its marked like 2A power supply but maximum that it gives was 1,2A under load, I tested some other power supplies, and saw how optimistic are some manufacturers about their power supplies. They said that can give an amount of amperes, and under hight load they works only giving the half they announce.
    I bought a new quality power supply (Psvita one) that only announce 1,5A, and i found all stability problems goes away. No freezes, no reboots, it works stable like a rock. While the stock power suply can give only 1,2A with heat on it, the new one gives me 1,8A and works cool.
    Feed the stick with the tv usb output is not a good idea, cause it is not designed to give so much power out, and in some case it could work, but not allways.
    Not only the Amperes what the PSU can give is the problem, bad quality PSU afect with electricals noise our tv sticks.

summary:
    PLS, IF YOU HAVE STABILITY ISSUES, TRY A QUALITY POWER SUPPLY BEFORE COMPLAINS ABOUT ROM STABILITY OR DEFECTIVE DEVICES.

And pls, all who don't have stability issues post your power supplies name, and how it works.

Mine: PSVITA power supply. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006JK...m_ps2?pi=SX125
    Attached to it: External usb hd, wireless keyboard and mouse and ipazzport 3D fly air mouse.

Sorry about my English, and if you want to ask anything, i will try to answer it if I can.

NOTE: The psvita power supply need to be modded to connect standard usb ports in it, is very easy. Only break some plastics sheets in the usb output.
    From here:

A very good explication of I said.

Originally posted by frog2001 View Post
    Hello!

After reading here for some time, i thougt i´m able to clear some things up about the power problems with cheap powersupplies. I will try not to be to technical.

In the old days about 5 to 10 years ago, a powersupply for wallplugs was an big, black havy brick with a lot of copper and other meaner things in it. Quality was easily checked. If it was heavy it was good , if not it was crap.

Today it is not as easy as in the past.

After the mass appearence of the so called SMPS all changed. SMPS stand for "Switch Mode Power Supply".

The "new" kind of Powersupply has changed a lot of things.
    1. It is much more efficent as the old transformator powersupplies.
    2. Less powerconsumption if not used, but plugged in.
    3. Today it is much cheaper to build.
    4. Easy mass production

but on the other side there are

1. Very optimistic data about the usable power
    2. Great potential source of electromagnetic and electronic disturbance

Ok, so why all the blah,blah.

If you have an 5 Volt 1 Ampere powersupply, you can thrust the 5 Volt. But don´t thrust about the current. If you drain more than 0.8 Ampere out of it the trouble normally starts. Because of being pushed to the limits, the normally clean and stable 5 Volt are being messed up with so called spikes.
    Extremly short impulses that can mess up digital signals like the ones used in the MK8..
    This can cause freezes, strange behavior, or even prevent system startup.
    So it is better to use an powersupply that offers a much greater usable current.

But there is another problem with this powersupply. They are extremly poorly shielded from sending out electromagnetic waves. So if they are used in the upper limits of their usable current, they can start to mess up with the W-LAN. So if you have W-LAN issues and there are powersupplies nearby (less than an meter or so) try to get them away. You can be surprised about the results. This also counts for the W-LAN router/AP.

If you have any questions about this special theme, feel free to post your question.
    If you can explain it better feel also free to post it

frog2001
    Great potential source of electromagnetic and electronic disturbance= Noise that Bob anounces.
    Last edited by leolas; 02-22-2013, 17:50.
    REMEMBER, YOUR FEEDBACK IS VERY IMPORTANT TO US.
    My devices:
    Minix Neo X7; Minix Neo X8-H , Minix Neo Z64W & Z64 (Sponsored by Minix)
    MK902 & MK902II(Sponsored by RKM)
    Beelink M8B & Beelink R89 (Sponsored by Beelink)
    Tronsmart VEGA S89H (Sponsored by
    Gearbest.com)
    MELE-PCG03 (Sponsored by Gearbest.com) Discount Coupon:MPCG03
    Ainol Intel Z3735 MiniPC(Sponsored by Gearbest.com)
    Thanks to them I can try to support your devices http://freaktab.com/core/images/smilies/wink.png

Sounds like a good post to add to the FAQ post.....

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Re: Stability issues and power supply.

Originally posted by Finless View Post
      Sounds like a good post to add to the FAQ post.....

Bob
      Of course if you want to add it it will be great.
      Must I write it in the faq? Or leave the post here?
      My devices:
      Gearbest.com)
      Thanks to them I can try to support your devices http://freaktab.com/core/images/smilies/wink.png

Comment

Also the power supplies that come with most USB hubs suffer with the same issue my hub came with a 2Amp supply but when testing under load it could barely give 1Amp also with my supply the voltage became unstable with more load causing my 1TB external drive (USB Powered)to shut down, My solution was to purchase a 5A switch-mode power supply which now powers my MK802III and my USB Hub and I have had no problems since

My Power Supply cost less than £10 delivered:
        http://www.****.co.uk/itm/3210133801...84.m1497.l2649
        My Device: T-R42
        ROM: Wasser ?????
        Peripherals: 5Port USB-2 Hub : Logitech K700 Keyboard : Buffalo 1TB HDD : 32 GB MicroSD : Wireless Xbox360 Controller : 5amp switch mode power supply

Comment

Originally posted by wapvirus View Post
          Also the power supplies that come with most USB hubs suffer with the same issue my hub came with a 2Amp supply but when testing under load it could barely give 1Amp also with my supply the voltage became unstable with more load causing my 1TB external drive (USB Powered)to shut down, My solution was to purchase a 5A switch-mode power supply which now powers my MK802III and my USB Hub and I have had no problems since

My Power Supply cost less than £10 delivered:
          http://www.****.co.uk/itm/3210133801...84.m1497.l2649
          Yes unbranded hubs suffer the same problem too.

Good, thanks a lot, A very good option, with it you ensure no power issues 5A wow.
          Only need to make some work on it to get an ac plug input, and usb wire output. How you solved it?
          My devices:
          Gearbest.com)

Comment

When i have finished modding my MK802III i will post pictures of the whole of my setup and how it was built so others can copy or expand their setups

Sent from my rk30sdk using Tapatalk HD
            My Device: T-R42
            ROM: Wasser ?????
            Peripherals: 5Port USB-2 Hub : Logitech K700 Keyboard : Buffalo 1TB HDD : 32 GB MicroSD : Wireless Xbox360 Controller : 5amp switch mode power supply

Comment

Good:thumbup:
              My devices:
              Gearbest.com)

Comment

FYI, even if a cheap power supply can give 3 amps or more, one other problem can be dirty output (noise). I also believe this can be part of stability issues for TV sticks.

I have a momo tablet that touch screen just goes crazy due to dirty output of the power supply! If the power supply is hooked up then tablet is unusable but will charge. I used a nice clean switching PS and this solved the problem. So again I think this is another consideration when upgrading your power supply.

Bob
                "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
                "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
                "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
                "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
                "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
                "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
                "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
                "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
                "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Sure, I didnt thought on it, it could be another reason of why people have all those stability issues. In my case the stock power suply cant feed my stick with my hd attached on it, but without the hd attached, I had some corruption issues too, and 1,2A must be enought to feed the stick alone. That could be, like Bob said, caused for that noise in power.
                  All I can say that a good quality power suply can give us a complete new experience with our android tv sticks.
                  My devices:
                  Gearbest.com)

Comment

From here:

A very good explication of I said.

Originally posted by frog2001 View Post
                    Hello!

After reading here for some time, i thougt i´m able to clear some things up about the power problems with cheap powersupplies. I will try not to be to technical.

In the old days about 5 to 10 years ago, a powersupply for wallplugs was an big, black havy brick with a lot of copper and other meaner things in it. Quality was easily checked. If it was heavy it was good , if not it was crap.

Today it is not as easy as in the past.

After the mass appearence of the so called SMPS all changed. SMPS stand for "Switch Mode Power Supply".

The "new" kind of Powersupply has changed a lot of things.
                    1. It is much more efficent as the old transformator powersupplies.
                    2. Less powerconsumption if not used, but plugged in.
                    3. Today it is much cheaper to build.
                    4. Easy mass production

but on the other side there are

1. Very optimistic data about the usable power
                    2. Great potential source of electromagnetic and electronic disturbance

Ok, so why all the blah,blah.

If you have an 5 Volt 1 Ampere powersupply, you can thrust the 5 Volt. But don´t thrust about the current. If you drain more than 0.8 Ampere out of it the trouble normally starts. Because of being pushed to the limits, the normally clean and stable 5 Volt are being messed up with so called spikes.
                    Extremly short impulses that can mess up digital signals like the ones used in the MK8..
                    This can cause freezes, strange behavior, or even prevent system startup.
                    So it is better to use an powersupply that offers a much greater usable current.

But there is another problem with this powersupply. They are extremly poorly shielded from sending out electromagnetic waves. So if they are used in the upper limits of their usable current, they can start to mess up with the W-LAN. So if you have W-LAN issues and there are powersupplies nearby (less than an meter or so) try to get them away. You can be surprised about the results. This also counts for the W-LAN router/AP.

If you have any questions about this special theme, feel free to post your question.
                    If you can explain it better feel also free to post it

frog2001
                    Great potential source of electromagnetic and electronic disturbance= Noise that Bob anounces.
                    Last edited by leolas; 02-21-2013, 08:11.
                    My devices:
                    Gearbest.com)

Comment

Originally posted by leolas View Post
                      Well, i see a lot of people who complains about random freezes, reboots, nand corruptions (they makes our devices don't boot and need reflash again), etc..
                      I had those stability issues when i bought my minipc, i was frustrated with it, thinking to send back it to the seller. No way to make my device runs stable until i made some test to the stock power supply who comes with my stick (mk808b). I connected an ampere meter to it and found that its marked like 2A power supply but maximum that it gives was 1,2A under load, I tested some other power supplies, and saw how optimistic are some manufacturers about their power supplies. They said that can give an amount of amperes, and under hight load they works only giving the half they announce.
                      I bought a new quality power supply (Psvita one) that only announce 1,5A, and i found all stability problems goes away. No freezes, no reboots, it works stable like a rock. While the stock power suply can give only 1,2A with heat on it, the new one gives me 1,8A and works cool.
                      Feed the stick with the tv usb output is not a good idea, cause it is not designed to give so much power out, and in some case it could work, but not allways.

summary:
                      PLS, IF YOU HAVE STABILITY ISSUES, TRY A QUALITY POWER SUPPLY BEFORE COMPLAINS ABOUT ROM STABILITY OR DEFECTIVE DEVICES.

And pls, all who don't have stability issues post your power supplies name, and how it works.

Mine: PSVITA power supply.
                      Attached to it: External usb hd, wireless keyboard and mouse and ipazzport 3D fly air mouse.

Sorry about my English, and if you want to ask anything, i will try to answer it if I can.

NOTE: The psvita power supply need to be modded to connect standard usb ports in it, is very easy. Only break some plastics sheets in the usb output.
                      Where did you purchase your PSVITA power supply ? how did you mod it ?

I just afraid couldn't get a proper power supply in my country and have to purchase over the net.

Comment

Originally posted by ahnah View Post
                        Where did you purchase your PSVITA power supply ? how did you mod it ?

I just afraid couldn't get a proper power supply in my country and have to purchase over the net.
                        PSVITA power suply can be found in any shopping center who sell electronic products, in any game shopping center too. Usually it cost about 10$US. Amazon sell it too.

The mod is only break some plastic sheets in the usb port of the psu, cause standard usb don´t fit in it. And it works very well.
                        My devices:
                        Gearbest.com)

Comment

Originally posted by leolas View Post
                          PSVITA power suply can be found in any shopping center who sell electronic products, in any game shopping center too. Usually it cost about 10$US. Amazon sell it too.

The mod is only break some plastic sheets in the usb port of the psu, cause standard usb don´t fit in it. And it works very well.
                          Ok.. talking abt the power supply need to be modded in order to connect standard usb ports in it .. can show us the picture how u did it ?

Comment

Originally posted by ahnah View Post
                            Ok.. talking abt the power supply need to be modded in order to connect standard usb ports in it .. can show us the picture how u did it ?
                            Here I explin a little how make it
                            My devices:
                            Gearbest.com)

Comment

Hey !
                              ive used 3 power supplies from my usb powered hub all of which give me the same results ? im waiting on a wall power supply, ive tested s a friends but not for any length of time)

i get a strange flickering and reboot, first i get colours darting for a second then a reboot (happens a few times then stops for a day then happens again

ive tried other roms, these didn't give me the problem, however i didn't test them long enough to know as they were so unstable in comparison to the finless roms.

Surely the difference between 1.5 and 1.6 is not giving me these issues ?
                              ill be interested to see if the problem persists when 1.7 is released.

Comment

Working...
                              X