Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Openelec or Android with Kodi. Pros and cons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Openelec or Android with Kodi. Pros and cons?

So i have a hph nt v6b on the way from aliexpress. Currently i am using a very buggy and unstable matricom gbox q with an android and kodi set up. I like the idea of having all the apps from android avialable to me. However the UI on most of the apps are not easy to navigate with a remote (not a fan of having several remotes in my livingroom) and some apps don't even work with my box (i am sure its just the box).. I did install openelec on the gbox q to test it out and it works very well, its super fast, boots faster and seems very stable. Kodi/openelec has a very large amount of addons available, so i am trying to find a compelling reason to keep Android and Kodi app installed vs just Openelec when my hph v6b arrives.

What are your thoughts and opinions on this matter? I am no stranger to Custom Roms so i am open to try new ROMs before giving up on android as a set top box OS (love android on my phone though)..
    Openelec
    54.55%
    Android & Kodi
    45.45%

If you use a box as nothing more than a media player, the Openelec would seem a more viable route.
    R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

kodi as a app on Andriod usually looses out compared to kodi compiled to work on Linux... OpenELEC is a great setup and a good place to start, tho I prefer doing my own Linux setup where I can keep as current as I want without relying on someone else holding me up... but theres a number of decent OE builds as well a few other Linux based setups out there...

if you really have no need for Android Appz then Linux/Kodi via something like OpenElec is the better way to go for streaming if that's the main use for the box...

my 2 cents...

Comment

dual boot

Comment

Working...
        X