Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend TV Box with very specific criteria

Hi guys,

I've been researching on TV boxes and owned quite a few before (Xiaomi, Tronsmart, Minix). Have a new set of criteria as follows:

- Must play back 4k/60p smoothly on YouTube without lagging on ethernet connection (I'm on a 500Mbps network)
    - Support screen mirroring from Samsung / Apple phones and iPad/tablets seamlessly (is there any box that truly supports Miracast and Airplay? I've had quite a bad experience with those boxes which claim they did)
    - Support playback from USB3.0 hard drive with HEVC 100mbps 4k files
    - Smooth and stable UI, no bugs
    - At least 5.1.1 OS, if not 6.0
    - At least 2Gb RAM
    - 2-3 USB ports (1 for keyboard, 1 for mouse, 1 for Hard drive)
    - Preferably under USD50 (flexible)
    - No size limitations (can be as big as it wants to be)

The AMlogic S912 seems interesting but don't see any implementation in the real world yet. Keen to hear more suggestions on specific boxes and links!

Lastly, any feedback on cheap boxes like this? >>> http://www.aliexpress.com/item/T95N-...2-db1a4e44da29

It's S905, but I just wanted to know what's the drawback of such cheap boxes, other than the poor firmware support, which I can survive if the default firmware does not lag.
    Last edited by tvm0nster; 07-17-2016, 15:49.

Originally posted by tvm0nster View Post
    Hi guys,

I've been researching on TV boxes and owned quite a few before (Xiaomi, Tronsmart, Minix). Have a new set of criteria as follows:

- Must play back 4k/60p smoothly on YouTube without lagging on ethernet connection (I'm on a 500Mbps network)
    - Support screen mirroring from Samsung / Apple phones and iPad/tablets seamlessly (is there any box that truly supports Miracast and Airplay? I've had quite a bad experience with those boxes which claim they did)
    - Support playback from USB3.0 hard drive with HEVC 100mbps 4k files
    - Smooth and stable UI, no bugs
    - At least 5.1.1 OS, if not 6.0
    - At least 2Gb RAM
    - 2-3 USB ports (1 for keyboard, 1 for mouse, 1 for Hard drive)
    - Preferably under USD50 (flexible)
    - No size limitations (can be as big as it wants to be)

The AMlogic S912 seems interesting but don't see any implementation in the real world yet. Keen to hear more suggestions on specific boxes and links!

Lastly, any feedback on cheap boxes like this? >>> http://www.aliexpress.com/item/T95N-...2-db1a4e44da29

It's S905, but I just wanted to know what's the drawback of such cheap boxes, other than the poor firmware support, which I can survive if the default firmware does not lag.
    You'll have to wait for Rockchip RK3399 that will support USB3.
    For the rest a Ugoos UT3S will be able to do everything.

For the high bitrate videos you want to play, you need to look in the price range of $130-$200.

The box you linked will be able to do max 40-50mbps ethernet so you won't be able to play back your 4K videos.
    The 1GB RAM will also not be enough to run Android and cache the high bitrate 4K videos and the device will overheat since $20 tv boxes have no heatsinks.

Comment

The S905 is alright, you shouldn't have many problems and you can now dual boot LibreElec on the SD Card. I wouldn't touch any Rockchips or Allwinners with a barge pole. If you're looking for just a media player I would probably go with one of those.

You won't get USB 3.0, but don't spend too much money on Chinese boxes however, anything over $70 and I would seriously consider an nVidia Shield, it's probably a bit OTT in terms of power but has extremely good support as you'd expect.
      Currently Using:
      2 x Nvidia Shield TV | MiniMX III
      Retired Devices:
      MiniMX III-II | Mk808b Pro | Mk808b Plus | Raspberry Pi 1 + 2 | UBOX R89 | MK808 | MK808b | CS008 | X1 4K (rk3288_809) | CYX_809III | Ouya | CX-919 | S82 Plus | Tronstmart R68

Comment

seems like i currently have 2 contrasting opinions. anyone else able to chime in? On usb3.0, not a necessity to support since there's backward compatibility. For playback via ethernet/WiFi, it should be low bitrate (

Comment

I too would not touch a new Rockchip box if you are looking for everything to work.

Considering the budget of $50 or less, you are almost certainly not going to get a box that meets your criteria.

I'd save up and go for an Nvidia Shield to really get what you seek.

Or perhaps the HiMedia Q5 Pro

R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

If you want a project device Geekbox is pretty cool device.... 😁
            Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

just curious - if I already have the Nvidia Shield tablet (not TV), is it possible to use the Shield like a TV Box?

Comment

The shield tablet has HDMI 1.4, whereas the box has 2.0, so no 4K@60fps

But by hooking it up to your TV you can at least get some idea of how good what you already have is.
                R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

Working...
                X