Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.1 DD output on TOSLINK port while downmixing stereo to HDMI

Hi

I have MXQ (805-based) box with HDMI and SPDIF outputs. The HDMI goes to a splitter that goes to projector in the lounge and the TV in the kitchen, while the SPDIF goes to the 5.1 AV receiver (also in the lounge).

If I set the digital audio output to "auto" I can get output on both HDMI and SPDIF, which works fine; however if I want to get 5.1 output from kodi I have to enable DD passthru and DD encode (because TOSLINK will only pass DD or DTS 5.1 audio); however the kitchen TV can't understand this DD stream and outputs white noise

I tried to get an HDMI receiver in the hope that it would enable me to send 5.1 audio via the HDMI and that it would send stereo to the HDMI outputs, but neither of the two that were reasonable prices (a Sony and a Pioneer) would do this. I can't afford to spend several hundred pounds just to resolve this issue.

Is there a way to force Android or Kodi to downmix stereo to HDMI while still sending 5.1 DD to the TOSLINK port? Alternatively, do any of the newer TV boxes have this working already?

Alternatively, is there a box that will decode DD inline from HDMI and downmix it to stereo, so that the kitchen TV could play the DD audio?

Or is there another way that I haven't thought of? Maybe a DD-capable soundbar would do it, although I'm not sure whether the kitchen TV would pass through a signal from the HDMI that it doesn't understand to a soundbar attached with an SPDIF cable.... perhaps _another_ HDMI splitter to go to the soundbar, I suppose...

Has anyone solved this problem any other way?

Ta
Working...
X