Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To=> Easiest/Cheapest path to a TV Box with Ubuntu ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To=> Easiest/Cheapest path to a TV Box with Ubuntu ??

We love our little Android Boxes...and=>
    It seems as if some folks have written about ways to get Ubuntu onto some very specific models of them - and sadly, most of the methods seem quite complex.

Goal:
    To use a TV Box as a mini-PC for someone who has worn out their old, very basic PC.

Mostly this will just need to have an email client, browser that is able to show YT videos, and maybe a couple of other small apps.
    This is not for gaming a'tall.
    Will NOT need to have super-high res., loads of storage space, or be super-fast; reliability is the most needed aspect.

I searched here trying to narrow this idea down, but after some time & many posts & threads read - as well as searching for the EXACT boxes mentioned in those threads - I was still not getting anyplace.

Looked at Linuxium's site as well as doing much general searching & spent some time at the CNX site as well...still stuck.

So I ask, please:
    Would some very kind soul please point me at these 2 matching things, if possible=>
    - A TV Box which is under $50USD that can do the above ??;
    - Matching, rather simple how-to details with whatever is needed to change the box's OS 100% to Ubuntu ??

I hope this is not too outrageous of a quest as the replacement of that ancient PC will likely become a very high priority soon and I need to be prepared for the inevitable meltdown when it arrives !!!

Another option considered was the cheapest possible fanless mini-PC that would be Ubuntu compatible, but all those I've found thus far have been too high priced for our limited budget, so I am hoping to get this done with one of these somehow.

Thanks for any helpful guidance in this matter.

Thanks for replying, I saw those threads before too.

My query is not about using SD or USB - I have seen where folks wrote of doing this directly...and tried to make my query as clear as possible - perhaps I did not succeed ??

So I ask, please:
    Would some very kind soul please point me at these 2 matching things, if possible=>
    - A TV Box which is under $50USD that can do the above ??;
    - Matching, rather simple how-to details with whatever is needed to change the box's OS 100% to Ubuntu ??

Comment

Have a look at the khadas vim

treboR
      Please consider
      Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Like this?

link to Balbes 150's Ubuntu firmware: https://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/2419-armbian-for-amlogic-s905-and-s905x/Link to box that I am using for my $4...
        MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post
          Can't do better than showing it in action.

Nice one.
          R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

Originally posted by bluesmanuk View Post

Can't do better than showing it in action.

Nice one.
            Thank you.
            MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Brand : rikomagic
              come to mind...pre loaded with linux
              Shenzhen Rikomagic Tech Corp.,Ltd-----Android TV BOX, Media player, Digital Signage Media Player,signage player

rasberry pi 2 or 3 off course.. (also cheap)

*lots of tutorials can be found online/forum/magazines/youtube

goodluck

Comment

Cant beat that price oh wait i got 5 bucks off that price too. Two coming in this week. Ricomagic kinda blows for supporting devices of late (Nothing i am impreesed by in any event and they are far from cheap cost wise) They mafe a deal with UK supplier so any Linux you wont see on thier site as they keep hands off approach so sad actually. Proof check thier site for linux links or firmware. Lots of bettee avenues for better supported devices and cheaper.
                Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks !!
                  I've always thought the RPi is a bit above me, skill-wise because when I looked into it there were just too many choices that I did not understand for it.

The Rikomagic boxes seem to all be above our reach $-wise right now; that device linked in the video mentioned here is sold out too.

I have ordered a Khadas Vim, though it too is just a teeny bit more than what our small budget wants to handle right now, and hopefully the Khadas folks will finally come out with their own Ubuntu for replacing Android internally as all I found for that box thus far must run from SD or USB, and that cannot be the best way to do it for constant usage, I would think.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by smith2 View Post
                    Thanks for the replies folks !!
                    I've always thought the RPi is a bit above me, skill-wise because when I looked into it there were just too many choices that I did not understand for it.

The Rikomagic boxes seem to all be above our reach $-wise right now; that device linked in the video mentioned here is sold out too.

I have ordered a Khadas Vim, though it too is just a teeny bit more than what our small budget wants to handle right now, and hopefully the Khadas folks will finally come out with their own Ubuntu for replacing Android internally as all I found for that box thus far must run from SD or USB, and that cannot be the best way to do it for constant usage, I would think.

Thanks.
                    I don't have the Vim (yet), but I just read that Balbes150 just updated his Linux port to do exactly what your want.

Hi, forks, here we release a new Ubuntu ROM, visit Firmware Page to download the ROM, basic info: Version: Vim_Ubuntu-16.04_V170124.7z MD5: c1dea90da6174b48763f6640af69ae2c For eMMC installation only XFCE desktop enviroment Rootfs is based on Balbes150’s ROM with 170118 build (Thanks!) Account info: User: root Password: khadas You’ll be aksed to create a new admin user with sudo permission on first boot Red LED states Power on: light on When booting: heartbeat Booted up: breath Change...

Comment

And more coming soon Good choice
                      Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Great - thanks !!
                        Now just to wait for the arrival...

Comment

Working...
                        X