Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SOC identification...how is this done, please ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOC identification...how is this done, please ??

Lots & lots of posts here refer to S-this or S-that - and I found this baffling, so:
    I have asked several times & finally got told that SOC stands for "System On Chip" - wahoo !!

Wanting to post correctly about my own stuff, I have installed CPU-Z in the box I am concerned about, and it tells me LOTS of info - but NOT the SoC !!

Looked all around, searched generally - here (not possible to search on SOC - too general !!) and even at GP to see if some app claims to do it - Pffft.

So I ask=>
    How does one get the box to tell which SoC number it has, please ??

Thanks for any helpful replies.

Well if you have Kodi installed goto: system : "system information"
    under hardware you will the needed info

other option is to post pictures of your tv box...and if needed from printed circuit board (aka opening the tv box)

goodluck

Comment

Thanks for replying Mitchell4you.

Unfortunately:
      Originally posted by mitchell4you View Post
      Well if you have Kodi installed goto: system : "system information" under hardware you will the needed info
      Even though there's lots of info right there - the S# is not listed a'tall.

Taking it apart...:
      other option is to post pictures of your tv box...and if needed from printed circuit board (aka opening the tv box)
      goodluck
      For me, would likely mean buying a new box soon thereafter, so I'll have to pass on that idea - but thanks !!
      (If that is the only way to get this info it is a bit extreme, I think...)

As mentioned before - it has CPU-z installed, and though there is a tab labeled 'SoC', that info does not include the S-number so often used by folks at this forum.

I am shocked that there is not some app or other s/w method (command for terminal maybe ??) that returns the mysterious S# quickly & simply ?!?

Thanks.

Comment

Even knowing the SoC will not indicate which firmware you need. As mitchell4you stated, the numbers on the PCB are the most certain way of ID. Opening most of these devices is not terribly risky. Post some photos of the box's top and bottom and we can assist you with opening method.

Comment

OK, thanks RISCy Dude.
          It still amazes me that the ONLY real way to ID this is disassembly !!

So I took a really close look at the thing, and beheld a missing foot with a teeny screw showing - as had the other 3 corners - and once removed t'was a simple thing indeed.
          There's next to nothing in there too - wow.

The only nomenclature decently visible besides the MAC ID are a single chip that says:
          SKhynix
          H27UCG8T2ETR
          And the number on the board itself is:
          W-SB5315

But then I found some super tiny print:
          MXQ-S805-BOX V1
          2015-06-24

The only part I am uncertain about is the letter V which could be a Y as it is so tiny ?!?

Looks like it is S805 then, yes ??

Thanks for the guidance & encouragement - I usually avoid taking a screwdriver to things that ain't broke lest I break 'em myself instead !!

BTW=>
          I am not looking to change or update the FW on this box - especially after looking at how many posts refer to bricking ones like it.
          If/when I choose to change anything it would be most likely that I'd try to get it working with Balbes150's Linux & no longer use it as a TV Box.
          Last edited by smith2; 04-30-2017, 04:00. Reason: bed grammah & added info...

Comment

Originally posted by smith2 View Post

But then I found some super tiny print:
            MXQ-S805-BOX V1
            2015-06-24....
            Yes, this is likely the info you needed, SoC is AMLogic S805. The WiFi module used is also important to know when looking for firmware.
            Maybe this thread can help you further ID your specific device.

I understand your reluctance to disassemble a working thing. But as you see now, not much to it, glad you took the leap.

Bricking a box often comes from flashing the wrong firmware, so always good to proceed with caution. But as long as the firmware is compatible, and the PC and/or box don't lose power while flashing, not a great deal of risk to it. But always good to weigh the risks against the gains when choosing to update firmware.
            It is a good idea to acquire a USB male-to-USB male cable, can help when things go bad.

Yes balbes150 has some great Linux varieties that boot/run from SD card or flash drive, these are pretty safe to try, as they make no change to the installed OS. balbes150 also has OpenELEC/LibreELEC that also boot and run from SD card or Flash drive, if you still need the box as a media player. Also kszaq has some OE/LE variants too.

Freaktab is an excellent resource for all of this good stuff.
            Have fun!

Comment

Working...
            X