Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which TV Box chipset is the most 'open'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which TV Box chipset is the most 'open'?

Most chipset manufacturers for TV Boxes seem to prefer 'closed source' drivers. Are there any exceptions to this? And which TV Box has the largest ROM-developer community right now? Thanks!

Originally posted by sdspieg View Post
    Most chipset manufacturers for TV Boxes seem to prefer 'closed source' drivers. Are there any exceptions to this? And which TV Box has the largest ROM-developer community right now? Thanks!
    Hi ,

i would say the best Rom support has Amilogic at the Moment and then Rockchip ,

but i only use this Board here and i am no Dev. . hope it helps / gefattern

Comment

Most supported See:
      This list of Android/Linux development board lists does not intend to be exhaustive. On the contrary, I only plan to list the boards that I find

You get alot of info here:

mostly from the comments..

"closed source' GPU drivers seems to be the main issue

Cheers

Comment

Useful - thanks to both! And yes, I gather from the comments on the second URL you reference that it's the source code for the GPU (read: ARM) that is the culprit. I understand that companies want to protect their IPR. But I'm still surprised there isn't at least ONE of them that tried the other (fully 'open') route. It seems to me that all developers would then just jump on that one system, making it sell a LOT more than its more closed competitors? I'm thinking of OnePlus, for instance, making the kernel source for the OnePlus 5 available before the phone was even on the market.
        In the meanwhile, I will from now on certainly pay more attention to this when I buy a TV Box.
        Last edited by sdspieg; 09-26-2017, 17:28.

Comment

Working...
        X