avoiding the Rockchip Android TV boxes for now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

avoiding the Rockchip Android TV boxes for now

It seems like every quadcore Android TV box out there right now is based on the Rockchip 3188 CPU. But it seems none of them have hardware video decoding. As I understand it, it's because Rockchip doesn't open source the code to interact with the hardware graphics components...something like that.

Which begs the question - is there such a dearth of chip manufacturers out there that EVERY quadcore Android TV box uses Rockchip? Are there no chip makers who are helping the device makers and the community support hardware decoding?

It just seems a really odd situation for Android boxes. A open source OS is being held back by closed source hardware?

Admittedly, I don't understand the details of how/why this roadblock exists. I don't understand what it means for Rockchip to open source their hardware.

I am holding off on buying these things. I'd rather give my money to a chip maker that isn't getting in the way of progress. Do I have the wrong perception of the situation?

Admittedly, there are issues to resolve...
    -check-out xbmc forum on libstagefright for more info

Why use rk3188: cheap horsepower (like amd)
    With a good reputation,
    -there are many alternatives -i prefer amlogic

Video decoding depents on the 'app' used:
    Xbmc v13 (with stagefright) = work in progres ( currenty... buggy as hell )
    Mx-player = impressive/great
    V-player = some bugs.. a great player ( crossline trailer 2160, played with lag )

Fact is...
    Most of these devices are great... you get allot of fun for a cheap price
    however, if do get a troubled device... getting support could be hard to non to be found

But if you are smart.. checkout user-feedback prior to buying anything!
    buy from a well known reseller that gives good support -i prefer geekbuying and kimdecent

Also don't believe everthing you read in the desciption
    Things like: netflix,hulu,hbo-go,ibbc,xbmc,dolby/dts,fullhd 1080/2160/4k and makes your tv smarter!
    * would be great to have... but for under 100 bucks --keep dreaming
    * Most android tvboxes/sticks come with a 720kernel' this means max hdmi output=720p

ohh.. and prais does that help others... lewy, leolas, finless, mo123, jrichard, and does i forgot
    --keep-up the goodwork
    Last edited by mitchell4you; 08-19-2013, 22:57.

Comment

You have the right perception. If it doesn't fit your needs, don't buy it.

Performance/price wise, RK3188 obviously is the best you can get. Software is not stable yet. Even simple things like automatic screen size detection is not implemented (you need a separate Kernel for each supported screen resolution). However, there are lots of smart guys working on it, even more or less voluntarily. Rockchip licences the chip from others, e.g. ARM. So they might not be free in opening the documentation. IMO, Rockchip should ask ARM/Linaro for support with Linux Kernel. New Atom generation will be out later this year and I am quite sure, smart Chinese companies will make devices with new Atom inside and K-R42 or Minix X7 form factor.

Comment

Working...
      X