Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Alternative to Xiaomi/Nvidia/Nexus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Alternative to Xiaomi/Nvidia/Nexus?

Hi Guys,

Long time member here, but I've been away a long time as I've been using official Android TV on my Nvidia Shield & Xiaomi Mi Box.

I recently discovered there are Freaktab devs supporting Nexus/Android TV ROMs for these China boxes! That's amazing. I am looking to dive right in, but I'm a bit out of touch. Which would be considered the best box to run these ROMs? I see the MeCool M8S Pro+ is coming up a lot. Would this be recommended? I'm not too worried about price right now, all about performance/stability for me.

Thanks

Right now, the Mecool M8S Pro L has moved the bar a little higher, they added a Bluetooth remote (similar to the Xiaomi remote). The price is a little high, but can be purchase for $69.99 USD if you find a coupon, and they are always providing a coupon.

I have 2 Nexus Players and one Xiaomi Mibox, but I always use my "L".
    MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post
      Right now, the Mecool M8S Pro L has moved the bar a little higher, they added a Bluetooth remote (similar to the Xiaomi remote). The price is a little high, but can be purchase for $69.99 USD if you find a coupon, and they are always providing a coupon.

good to know, and full chromecast support?

What is it that keeps you using the L over the official boxes?

Comment

Sorry to the OP for interupting. I'm also in the market for a new budget TV box.

Considering the Xiaomi Mi box is available for the same price as the new Mecool Box, what makes the Mecool worth a purchase over the Xiaomi.

The Mecool have slightly better hw but I'm not sure this is necessary with the light use most of us use these boxes for (Kodi, a couple of apps).
        Mecool have built in ethernet, but buying an usb adapter won't set you back more than a couple of dollars.

The Xiaomi officially supports ATV, which ensure all functions should work flawlessly, even if the community is doing a marveloius job by making and releasing custom roms incl a ATV for the Mecool, I would still prefer an official due to stability and security.

On paper I would prefer the Xiaomi over the equally priced Mecool. I better understand the alternative to buy a cheper box like the Mecool MS8 Pro+ and flash a ATV rom.

Is there anything I don't see?

Comment

Originally posted by eramik View Post

Sorry to the OP for interupting. I'm also in the market for a new budget TV box.

Considering the Xiaomi Mi box is available for the same price as the new Mecool Box, what makes the Mecool worth a purchase over the Xiaomi.

The Mecool have slightly better hw but I'm not sure this is necessary with the light use most of us use these boxes for (Kodi, a couple of apps).
          Mecool have built in ethernet, but buying an usb adapter won't set you back more than a couple of dollars.

The Xiaomi officially supports ATV, which ensure all functions should work flawlessly, even if the community is doing a marveloius job by making and releasing custom roms incl a ATV for the Mecool, I would still prefer an official due to stability and security.

On paper I would prefer the Xiaomi over the equally priced Mecool. I better understand the alternative to buy a cheper box like the Mecool MS8 Pro+ and flash a ATV rom.

Is there anything I don't see?
          That is a good question, and not sure I have an answer. I have the Xiaomi Mibox, Nexus Player, Mecool M8S Pro Plus, Mecool M8S Pro, and the Mecool M8S Pro L (soon to have the "L" with Bluetooth voice remote). My grandkids like the Xiaomi, because they only use it for YouTube and Netflix. I, on the other hand, use the Mecool boxes for a lot more. I have numerous apps installed that are a pain to install on the Mi box. On my "Pro" box, I am running LibreELEC with my Tvheadend and Emby servers.
          MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

That is a good question, and not sure I have an answer. I have the Xiaomi Mibox, Nexus Player, Mecool M8S Pro Plus, Mecool M8S Pro, and the Mecool M8S Pro L (soon to have the "L" with Bluetooth voice remote). My grandkids like the Xiaomi, because they only use it for YouTube and Netflix. I, on the other hand, use the Mecool boxes for a lot more. I have numerous apps installed that are a pain to install on the Mi box. On my "Pro" box, I am running LibreELEC with my Tvheadend and Emby servers.
            From your experience, do you prefer boxes running on the regular Android or you prefer Android TV?

That are the main differences, advantages, disavantages?

And from your Android TV experience, is it the same or better on the Mecool M8S Pro L compared to the Xiami Mi Box?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by shuot View Post

From your experience, do you prefer boxes running on the regular Android or you prefer Android TV?

That are the main differences, advantages, disavantages?

And from your Android TV experience, is it the same or better on the Mecool M8S Pro L compared to the Xiami Mi Box?

Thanks!
              since I use my Mecool predominately as a media player, then the Android TV OS, with the leanback launcher suites that need very well. I do use Chrome on that box with a standard wireless mouse and air mouse, so that work well also. The native apps are very limited with this OS, but that hurdle is easily overcome by installing Aptoid. So, I now prefer the Android TV OS, vs. just the touch version of Android.

I personally prefer the "L" to the Xiaomi Mibox, because it is a little more powerful and has more memory, an Ethernet port and a few goodies that the Mibox does not have. But the Mibox supports chromecast natively, whereas the Mecool doesn't. Also, the "L" box does run HOT!!!

The Mibox is for people that just want it to work as a media player only........

Comment

Yes, Trebor, that is an interesting box for that price......... Would like to have some reviews.....

Comment

• trebor
                trebor commented
                Editing a comment
                well I was giving you a chance....and look a coupon also

Come on clarkss12 if you get one I'll try one too.... promise
              Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

WHAT???? I can't hear you.

Comment

WHAT???? I can't hear you.
                  IF YOU BUY ONE I WILL TOO.
                  Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

• scooter2014
                    scooter2014 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Soon as your review done I'll buy one.

He Said
                  You can do it...
                  treboR
                  Please consider
                  Donating to Freaktab

Comment

You can dooooooo it!!

Comment

We appreciate your shopping! Your order has been submitted successfully, please remember your order number: WW18041819103231**.
                      The payment amount is: $37.08 USD .

Comment

Originally posted by scooter2014 View Post

IF YOU BUY ONE I WILL TOO.
                        Mine is ordered, is YOURS???

Comment

Working...
                        X