Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which box for my needs?

Hi,

I am looking for an Android box or Android TV box. I have looked for several options, such as Minix U9-H, Mecool M8S Pro L, Zidoo H6 Pro, Xiaomi Mi Box and many others, but I can't stop my choice.

The first intended use for this box is in the car, for long hours trips. In this sense, offline viewing is very important. In a second use, I would also like to use it at home. However, I already have a PC connected to a TV and many needs are already filled.

Needs identified for use in the car:

- Playback of ripped DVDs (not ISO, but directories / files) with menu. Here it is not a question of piracy, I simply can’t afford to take with me in the car my entire collection of DVDs. Same thing for the Blurays, but to a lesser extent.
    - Playback of Netflix episodes in offline viewing. Ideally in HD, but not essential given the size of the screen in the car.
    - Wireless remote control, not infrared, because the box will be located at a place without line of sight for the users. It could be a wireless remote control or Bluetooth.
    - It seems strange as demand in 2018, but a button power would be welcome, so that the box does not start automatically with the car.
    - Play a few games.

Needs identified for use at home:

- Googlecast. So that the box behaves like a Chromecast.
    - Miracast. So to display the screen of a cell.
    - Netflix full HD minimum.
    - Google Assistant.

Minimum expected technical characteristics:

- At least Android 6.
    - Widevine L1, HDCP: to allow Netflix.
    - CPU: ideally at least one Octa-core, type S912 & up.
    - GPU: a GPU consequent to a little gaming.
    - Flash memory: 16 GB and more.
    - RAM memory: 3gb and more.
    - SD / microSD port with expandable mode.
    - Minimum 2 USB ports, 3 desirable. I do not see the USB 3 as necessary.
    - Antutu score 38000 and more.

All this research has also brought me to realize that I will have to choose between Android and Android TV. Android allows all the apps from the store, but is less suitable to TV. Android TV is better suited even for most home needs, but has a smaller selection in the store.

Regarding Netflix, I read several articles about the support of full HD and offline viewing. I'm going to spare you here all the aspects I've read, but there seems to be a correlation: on Android TV, Netflix app allows HD but not offline viewing. On Android mobile, Netflix App allows offline viewing but not HD, often limited to 480P. Is it possible to have both apps versions coexist in the same box?

So far, here are the boxes that I considered, but noe completely seems to fullfill my needs :

- Mecool M8S Pro L with bluetooth remote control. Manufacturer's support seems obscure and it was reported it heat too much.
    - Beeling GT1 Ultimate. Good processor, recent Android, a lot of memory, but does not seem to support Netflix HD. Infrared remote control.
    - Minix NEO U9-h with remote control A2 or A3. No Netflix HD because no HDCP. A little too expensive, almost the price of Nvidia Shield which is infinitely better.
    - Xioami Mi Box. Too weak, characteristics too limited.
    - Wetek Play 2. Very expensive, not enough flash memory. Android version outdated. Anemic processor.
    - Probox 2 AVA remote +. Does not support Netflix HD. Processor and RAM anemic.
    - Leelbox Q2 Pro. Dark specifications, anemic processor and GPU.
    - T95Z Plus. OEM product, anemic support. Does not seem to support Netflix.
    - Matricom G-BOX Q3. Anemic processor, does not seem to support Netflix HD.
    - Zidoo H6 Pro. Unstable, poorly supported.
    - R99. WOW! Really powerful, a lot of memory. But does not support Netflix and its price is almost identical to that of an Nvidia Shield.
    - Tanix T92. Powerful enough, powerful Wifi, but Netflix support unknown / improbable.
    - H96 Pro Plus. Good features, but does not support Widevine L2 and therefore only allows Netflix in 480P. Reputable unstable, many returns.
    - Nvidia Shield: ideal, but much too expensive.

I've seen many many more models.

Can you help me finding the right model for my needs?

Thank you!

Originally posted by shuot View Post
    Hi,

I am looking for an Android box or Android TV box. I have looked for several options, such as Minix U9-H, Mecool M8S Pro L, Zidoo H6 Pro, Xiaomi Mi Box and many others, but I can't stop my choice.

The first intended use for this box is in the car, for long hours trips. In this sense, offline viewing is very important. In a second use, I would also like to use it at home. However, I already have a PC connected to a TV and many needs are already filled.

Needs identified for use in the car:

- Playback of ripped DVDs (not ISO, but directories / files) with menu. Here it is not a question of piracy, I simply can’t afford to take with me in the car my entire collection of DVDs. Same thing for the Blurays, but to a lesser extent.
    - Playback of Netflix episodes in offline viewing. Ideally in HD, but not essential given the size of the screen in the car.
    - Wireless remote control, not infrared, because the box will be located at a place without line of sight for the users. It could be a wireless remote control or Bluetooth.
    - It seems strange as demand in 2018, but a button power would be welcome, so that the box does not start automatically with the car.
    - Play a few games.

Needs identified for use at home:

- Googlecast. So that the box behaves like a Chromecast.
    - Miracast. So to display the screen of a cell.
    - Netflix full HD minimum.
    - Google Assistant.

Minimum expected technical characteristics:

- At least Android 6.
    - Widevine L1, HDCP: to allow Netflix.
    - CPU: ideally at least one Octa-core, type S912 & up.
    - GPU: a GPU consequent to a little gaming.
    - Flash memory: 16 GB and more.
    - RAM memory: 3gb and more.
    - SD / microSD port with expandable mode.
    - Minimum 2 USB ports, 3 desirable. I do not see the USB 3 as necessary.
    - Antutu score 38000 and more.

All this research has also brought me to realize that I will have to choose between Android and Android TV. Android allows all the apps from the store, but is less suitable to TV. Android TV is better suited even for most home needs, but has a smaller selection in the store.

Regarding Netflix, I read several articles about the support of full HD and offline viewing. I'm going to spare you here all the aspects I've read, but there seems to be a correlation: on Android TV, Netflix app allows HD but not offline viewing. On Android mobile, Netflix App allows offline viewing but not HD, often limited to 480P. Is it possible to have both apps versions coexist in the same box?

So far, here are the boxes that I considered, but noe completely seems to fullfill my needs :

- Mecool M8S Pro L with bluetooth remote control. Manufacturer's support seems obscure and it was reported it heat too much.
    - Beeling GT1 Ultimate. Good processor, recent Android, a lot of memory, but does not seem to support Netflix HD. Infrared remote control.
    - Minix NEO U9-h with remote control A2 or A3. No Netflix HD because no HDCP. A little too expensive, almost the price of Nvidia Shield which is infinitely better.
    - Xioami Mi Box. Too weak, characteristics too limited.
    - Wetek Play 2. Very expensive, not enough flash memory. Android version outdated. Anemic processor.
    - Probox 2 AVA remote +. Does not support Netflix HD. Processor and RAM anemic.
    - Leelbox Q2 Pro. Dark specifications, anemic processor and GPU.
    - T95Z Plus. OEM product, anemic support. Does not seem to support Netflix.
    - Matricom G-BOX Q3. Anemic processor, does not seem to support Netflix HD.
    - Zidoo H6 Pro. Unstable, poorly supported.
    - R99. WOW! Really powerful, a lot of memory. But does not support Netflix and its price is almost identical to that of an Nvidia Shield.
    - Tanix T92. Powerful enough, powerful Wifi, but Netflix support unknown / improbable.
    - H96 Pro Plus. Good features, but does not support Widevine L2 and therefore only allows Netflix in 480P. Reputable unstable, many returns.
    - Nvidia Shield: ideal, but much too expensive.

I've seen many many more models.

Can you help me finding the right model for my needs?

Thank you!
    Hi ,

you are right , nearly not possible to do all this with this kind of Boxes , no L1 support on most Boxes , bad Roms ,

maybe the WetekPlay2 , does it not have 2/16GB , and if you have "root" there are several ways to expand the Storage .

Wetek supports L1 ??? , think well , and they have ATV Roms , R99 is a Powerhorse , but , sad , but truth , Rockchip has

no L1 and some other Rom problems until now , what about LibreElec on a cheap S905/S912 Box for Videos and Musik

perfect , for Gaming you need a good GPU , best GPU from your List has the R99 , i think until now the "Schield" is the best

choice , better to spend some more Money for a good Product , bbut can the Schield handle all your tecnical Needs , i dont

know , good luck .

Wetek Link for more Info finding :

wetekforums.com ist die beste Quelle für alle Informationen die Sie suchen. Von allgemeinen Themen bis hin zu speziellen Sachverhalten, finden Sie auf wetekforums.com alles. Wir hoffen, dass Sie hier das Gesuchte finden!

greetings / gefattern

Comment

Thanks for your answer!

The Mecool M8S Pro L almost met my requirements . . . but this unit seems to heat a lot :-(

I don't want to add myself a fan and getting a noisy unit.

Comment

Thanks for your answer!

The Mecool M8S Pro L almost met my requirements . . . but this unit seems to heat a lot :-(

I don't want to add myself a fan and getting a noisy unit.
        Hi ,

that is not really true , u can take a12V Fan and let him run over USB with 5V , not really noisy ,

second u can add better , maybe bigger Heatsink , sometimes they heat up because of not

enough "Cpu paste" , hope you make the best choice for your Needs ,

greetings / gefattern

Comment

Alternatively..
          you can also down clock/CPU : less heat (if unit has root) ( some CPU clock app allow profile's : game / power save )
          Or drill a few holes in the tvbox casing (cold air intake from below: hot escape from above)

Comment

Originally posted by gefattern View Post

Hi ,

that is not really true , u can take a12V Fan and let him run over USB with 5V , not really noisy ,

second u can add better , maybe bigger Heatsink , sometimes they heat up because of not

enough "Cpu paste" , hope you make the best choice for your Needs ,

greetings / gefattern
            My main usage would be in a car, the proposed solution with de 12V fan published in another post is very original and interesting, but is there a way to make it more stable/finished? Also, it removes a USB port, what would be a solution for keeping the usb port?

Thanks!

Comment

My main usage would be in a car, the proposed solution with de 12V fan published in another post is very original and interesting, but is there a way to make it more stable/finished? Also, it removes a USB port, what would be a solution for keeping the usb port?

Thanks!
              Hi ,

what exactly do you mean with "stable/finished" , the USB port is not the Problem ,

first if you want you can use a USB Hub (best with Power) , or you can take the Power

from the two pins of the USB port ( soldered to the two pins on the back)(Info here FT) .

hope this helps / greetings / gefattern

Comment

Originally posted by gefattern View Post

Hi ,

what exactly do you mean with "stable/finished" , the USB port is not the Problem ,

first if you want you can use a USB Hub (best with Power) , or you can take the Power

from the two pins of the USB port ( soldered to the two pins on the back)(Info here FT) .

hope this helps / greetings / gefattern
                What I mean is that I intent to put it underseat in the car. I fear that the whole thing (fan + M8S) would disassemble while driving. I could try to tape both together.

Yes, I think this solution about powering the fan would work.

Thanks!

Sylvain.

Comment

What I mean is that I intent to put it underseat in the car. I fear that the whole thing (fan + M8S) would disassemble while driving. I could try to tape both together.

Yes, I think this solution about powering the fan would work.

Thanks!

Sylvain.
                  Hi ,

that is not a problem , u can use small screws & nuts for it , later i upload Picture for u ,

so u can see , okay . Most Fans have holes on the four corners .

greetings / gefattern

Comment

I can see that there's a lot of variants on the M8S Pro. Several runs on regular Android and the Pro L runs on Android TV.

Which would be the best? My primary preference would be Android TV, but I'd like to understand : if I sideload regular Apps to run on Android TV, do they execute correctly? For example, the app will display in portrait or landscape? May we choose?

Comment

And, about Netflix on Android vs Android TV : I understood that the Android version support offline mode (downloading of episodes) but is limited to 480P and I understood that the Android TV version supports 1080P but doesn't support offline viewing.

I need both, but not necessary in same time : 1080P at home and offline viewing in the car (1080P not mandatory, as the screen is small).

I understand I could choose which one I install (through sideloading, for example), but is it possible to have both Netflix versions (Android & Android TV) installed in same time?

Comment

Hey guys..

I would like to buy 4k player. The cheapest one. Just for 4k. It could be android or what every.
                        I have WD for 1080p.

What is the cheapest one for 4k from china ?

I searched on forum but it a lot to read :P

Comment

Originally posted by MDavor View Post
                          Hey guys..

I would like to buy 4k player. The cheapest one. Just for 4k. It could be android or what every.
                          I have WD for 1080p.

What is the cheapest one for 4k from china ?

I searched on forum but it a lot to read :P
                          What is LibreELEC ? Welcome to the LibreELEC Wiki! [LibreELEC.wiki] [URL:https://wiki.libreelec.tv/] Lets start with the quality AML boxes, with known working out of the box - WiFi, Bluetooth, HDMI CEC, IR or Wireless remotes and some with SPDIF…
                          MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

is it possible to have both Netflix versions (Android & Android TV) installed in same time?
                            Now that I got my M8S Pro L, I've tried and I can confirm that both versions can be installed in same time.

The Android TV version of Netflix, which is already pre-loaded in the box, is 100% identical as the version pre-installed in my Vizio TV. This version plays in HD.

The regular Android version of Netflix has the same user-interface than the version on my mobile and allows downloading of episodes. But it doesn't plays in full HD. Also, I needed to use a PC mouse/keyboard (I have a small one meant for TV usage) as the provided remote control doesn't work with regular Android apps.

Comment

But...the main question is... does it work as expected?
                              Are you happy?
                              Any heat issues? Inside the car... or did you use a coolmod of sorts?

Comment

Working...
                              X