android tv box and totaly lost!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

android tv box and totaly lost!

hallo everybody and i am glad that i make subscrtion here, i believe that here are the most experts in the net...
    Hope that my post is in the right place.

So to be in the point, i decide to buy a tv box and i am totaly lost, i keep reading for days now and when i decide to buy a specific tv box,
    i read something new, that dissapointed me.
    I also read the pin guide which also was helpful.

So here is what i am thinking to buy:

1. tv box must have regural updates, i was close to beelink gt1 mini but i read here some posts that beelink does not offer updates to all tv boxes, if this is true thats a problem.
    I dont want to buy something like android 8.0 for ever.

2. i dont care about 4k movies, my tv is a decade (or more) 32' sony bravia which is fine for me.

3. shoud have a normal access to play store, my daughter is the main reason for this discussion, i want to move her from my tablet, so she can play all this girly android games.

4. i think 4 / 64 ram / rom is a must so will be easy for may applications.

Thats it,
    can somebody give me some directions?
    any help will be really appreciated!

Originally posted by dslfan View Post
    hallo everybody and i am glad that i make subscrtion here, i believe that here are the most experts in the net...
    Hope that my post is in the right place.

So to be in the point, i decide to buy a tv box and i am totaly lost, i keep reading for days now and when i decide to buy a specific tv box,
    i read something new, that dissapointed me.
    I also read the pin guide which also was helpful.

So here is what i am thinking to buy:

1. tv box must have regural updates, i was close to beelink gt1 mini but i read here some posts that beelink does not offer updates to all tv boxes, if this is true thats a problem.
    I dont want to buy something like android 8.0 for ever.

2. i dont care about 4k movies, my tv is a decade (or more) 32' sony bravia which is fine for me.

3. shoud have a normal access to play store, my daughter is the main reason for this discussion, i want to move her from my tablet, so she can play all this girly android games.

4. i think 4 / 64 ram / rom is a must so will be easy for may applications.

Thats it,
    can somebody give me some directions?
    any help will be really appreciated!
    These ones should work for your needs and also get regular ota firmware updates.
    X2 Pro - 32GB Storage version of below 16GB device
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000143283989.html or
    X2 Cube - 16GB Storage (Already had 11 ota updates)

I don't know of any Android apps that take up to 64GB storage even if you have a 100 apps installed, they can still fit on 16GB.
    You can also fit an extra micro-sd card if needed to be used for extra app space.
    Beelink only provides updates 2-3 months after release then stop and release a new device, so for long term support, you won't get it.
    90% of other devices don't get ota firmware updates and you need to install custom firmwares if they exist which is more complicated.

You should also get an airmouse for touch screen games and to better control Android.
    A cheap USB gamepad can also be used for non touch screen games.

Comment

dear mo,
      thanks for your reply and your help so far.
      Firstly tv boxes that you put, it doesn't excist in the aliexpress.
      So i must choose something else.
      In general due to customs it is not advisable to buy tv boxes etc from aliexpress, typical chinese shops are have options for tax free.
      (import taxes to europe if you buy direct from aliexpress, is around 30-40 euros)

So here is my second choise,

What i read is that i may have problem with play store due to some restrictions of android version.
      Is this a big problem?
      If so, which tv box has a pure android 9.0?

Comment

• mo123
        mo123 commented
        Editing a comment
        With an AndroidTV device, you will have far less apps and games available to install from the AndroidTV Playstore compared to a device running normal Android. Also the Mecool devices running AndroidTV tend to run some apps sideways/upside down.
        You will then need to download some apps on your PC and install manually with external storage.
        Mecool devices don't receive ota updates.
        You can also look on stores like Geekbuying.

Any suggestions with a TV box with a normal Android?

Comment

Any suggestions with a TV box with a normal Android?
        depends on your needs, i prefer rockchip over amlogic, less power but they run stable, you could try the mvr9 or mx9 pro, a5x max will do the job aswell.

those are cheap but reliable using my mx9 pro for over a year now and never had freeze or bootloops out of nowhere.

but its up to you, to be safe with performance get a nvidia shield tv on **** most powerful box out right now.

stay away from box with name: SCISHION; TANIX, H96, AZW (Beelink). especially beelink tends to fake hardware like ram for example there was a case where they only build in 2gb of ram but they faked the chips to box and kernel showed 3gb ram, result was bad performance and random hardfreeze, they fool their customers with it.

Comment

thanks so far for all your suggestions,
          i will let you know when i will get my tv box

Comment

thanks so far for all your suggestions,
            i will let you know when i will get my tv box
            keep my advice in mind, the tv box i suggested will not be the perfect box for everyone.

make sure to use a better power supply dont use the box original supply its shit.

Comment

Originally posted by mo123 View Post

These ones should work for your needs and also get regular ota firmware updates.
              X2 Pro - 32GB Storage version of below 16GB device
              https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000143283989.html or
              X2 Cube - 16GB Storage (Already had 11 ota updates)

I don't know of any Android apps that take up to 64GB storage even if you have a 100 apps installed, they can still fit on 16GB.
              You can also fit an extra micro-sd card if needed to be used for extra app space.
              Beelink only provides updates 2-3 months after release then stop and release a new device, so for long term support, you won't get it.
              90% of other devices don't get ota firmware updates and you need to install custom firmwares if they exist which is more complicated.

You should also get an airmouse for touch screen games and to better control Android.
              A cheap USB gamepad can also be used for non touch screen games.
              Hey mo123, I have questios to ask, Im currently have Ugoos RK3288 devices for 5 years without problem, i see this new box Ugoos X2 Cube with ota update , but what about X2 Pro , is from Ugoos company too, would i get ota update if buy it?
              I really need to know, because Ugoos offers great long temp supports to all devices and that is what it counts to be a great company, the only things is worry me is there is no forum here of X2 Pro or X2 Cube , if i want custom rom.. Thanks
              -Chromecast with Google TV
              - Android Q Android 10

Comment

• mo123
                mo123 commented
                Editing a comment
                I would suggest the Ugoos AM6.
                It gets the same updates but has the more powerful S922x processor if you come from a RK3288 device.
                I already received 13 ota updates since I got it.
                No need for custom roms as everything works like frame-rate switching, HD Audio passthrough and 4k HDR video playback.
                There is also a user that made AndroidTV firmware if you prefer that layout.
                LibreELEC is also supported with 1080p Netflix but you need to use ethernet or a wifi dongle for now until Amlogic, Broadcom can create a driver for the wifi chip for Linux. For local video playback it is better than an Nvidia Shield but unfortunately doesn't have 4K streaming apps support like it.
            Working...
            X