Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found an M8S box, need some help getting it working.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found an M8S box, need some help getting it working.

I found an M8S android box at a Goodwill for $1. I figured I could turn it into a small emulator box and a media server if possible. Unfortunately I'm having some trouble getting it to work - current issue now is that it fails to display anything when powered on, just flashing a between a blue and red light and won't let me turn it off via the remote. Did the troubleshooting for that as per the manual that was included, but that didn't work either. Some more Googling shows it might be a firmware issue or a brick, so now I'm trying to fix that. From what I understand, there are a bunch of different versions of these things and you need the right firmware else they get brickyer. Here's a picture of the board, which does have "M8&M9_V02" that I'm assuming is the version I need, but I'm a bit outta my depth with this whole thing. I can't quite find the links I need since I don't know all I'm looking for.

I'd really appreciate any help you guys could give me to get this working.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by FancyJoke412; 06-15-2020, 18:03.

Originally posted by FancyJoke412 View Post
    I found an M8S android box at a Goodwill for $1. I figured I could turn it into a small emulator box and a media server if possible. Unfortunately I'm having some trouble getting it to work - current issue now is that it fails to display anything when powered on, just flashing a between a blue and red light and won't let me turn it off via the remote. Did the troubleshooting for that as per the manual that was included, but that didn't work either. Some more Googling shows it might be a firmware issue or a brick, so now I'm trying to fix that. From what I understand, there are a bunch of different versions of these things and you need the right firmware else they get brickyer. Here's a picture of the board, which does have "M8&M9_V02" that I'm assuming is the version I need, but I'm a bit outta my depth with this whole thing. I can't quite find the links I need since I don't know all I'm looking for.

I'd really appreciate any help you guys could give me to get this working.
    Hi ,

for sure you must know what Cpu & Wifichip is used , find out and look for more Info in

the specific Threads , your Picture is not visible , if you find Rom you can restore with PC

and maybe with SDCard ,

greetings / gefattern

Comment

Originally posted by gefattern View Post
      Hi ,
      for sure you must know what Cpu & Wifichip is used , find out and look for more Info in
      the specific Threads , your Picture is not visible , if you find Rom you can restore with PC
      and maybe with SDCard ,
      greetings / gefattern
      Hey, thanks for the reply. I moved the picture to imgur, hopefully you can see it now. As for the CPU and WiFI chip, I don't know where to find that or what to use. I see different subforums for AMLogic, RK3066, etc. based devices, but I'm unsure which I have.

Comment

Originally posted by FancyJoke412 View Post

Hey, thanks for the reply. I moved the picture to imgur, hopefully you can see it now. As for the CPU and WiFI chip, I don't know where to find that or what to use. I see different subforums for AMLogic, RK3066, etc. based devices, but I'm unsure which I have.
        Hi ,

i found it , better from both sides , think it is a AML S812 Box , but not sure , a little bit old ,

not sure if there are still Stockroms to find , but never give up the Wifichip is the small Chip

left from the Cardreader , maybe Realtek .... ??? , the NandChip is the big one below the

M8&M9_V02 Letters , the one with solder Pins , maybe you need this Chip to restore with

"shortPins" Way , if stock flashing wont work ,

greetings / gefattern

Comment

Well...
          alternatively libreelec / boots from sdcard;
          download fw :
          LE 9.0 Stable is out and i can no longer build so many images as before due to lag of time,the amount of time the new build system needs to finish and the fact that i already ruined 2 hdd in the process. So, I will release LE9.x images for only for…

then use tool :

See...if it boots..
          note: latest libreelec/kodi incl retro gaming

Cheers

Comment

Working...
          X