Whats the correct term for these files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the correct term for these files

is it a rom? firmware, operating system? what is the correct term im confused.

With computers there was 2 parts the "bios" (board operating system) and then the OS like windows, the bios i always thought of as the "ROM"

At first i thought it was the same way since im still kinda new i sort of look at all this stuff like computers but ive never really done much with linux and its different.

I thought like computers the board had its own sort of system or "ROM" that we cant change as easy but i guess its not.

I have this one board "CSA96" and when i first got it there was a section on the board you could boot to a sort of bios or recovery section this part i thought was like flashed on a little part of the board that boots before Android a sort of recovery system. Later there was a file i put on it and that "recovery" system was no longer there the new file from another board "R99" didnt have this little leader section so the way you had to recover it wasnt the same. Then just recently i went back to that firmware, rom, file or what ever its called put that recovery back on the box.

In the past they called those classic game files "Roms" so i never really thought of the files for these tv boxes as a "rom" some one else said they think of the stock manufacture system as a "firmware" and a third party modified system as a "rom"

The reason i bring it up is some one corrected me when i said one thing and they said dont you mean _____ and i had to think i dont even know the right term

So if a box got corrupt and you wanted to put it back to factory you look for the "Firmware" but if you wanted to run the Slimbox system you download the S905X3 Rom?

Lately ive been trying a bunch of different Android versions on this Rock64 board and the tools to put the file on the SD card has said "multiple" partitions so now im thinking maybe the file is breaking the systems up like first the board system loads then the operating system loads, kind alike the bios and windows all in the same file?

You need to start learning LINUX more to better understand ANDROID, BIOS and WINDOWS have nothing to do with ANDROID.

ROM = Read-ONLY-Memory

Firmware is a ROM, an a ROM is a Firmware in most cases; OTA can sometimes me complete ROM's in .IMG format or .ZIP format, but Zips can sometimes be just an alteration of a few partitions and not the entire ROM.

Partitions are components of an ANDROID firmware/ROM, the partitions you most commonly see and interact with in a live OS are SYSTEM,VENDOR, and DATA.

Comment

Working...
    X