Android box memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Android box memory

Hi all, I'm new to this forum. so please don't be too hard on me if I ask stupid questions.

I'm looking to buy a new streaming device. Main purpose is to stream 1080p MkV movies and music from my media server. I have no intention to use IPTV or any other online streaming service.

I have 2 HD players already, an Egreat and a Himedia, and am looking now at a Android set top box since they are considerably cheaper.

The HD players have a Ram of 256 and 512 Mb if I recall correctly, and they do their job just fine. I was told now that I should look at a device with at least 1Gb Ram but even better 2Gb do decode the 1080p stream. The box will be connected to a AV receiver which can decode the audio streams.

My first question is, do Android boxes need considerably more memory to do the same job as a HD player, or would 1Gb be sufficient for my purpose?

The second question is, I'm considering a CX-S806 device. Is this device good value for the money? The device cost around 75 US$, and that is about what I want to spend on such a device.

I notice they are available with single Wifi and dual wifi at a small premium. Since I will not nake use of the wifi anyway, does the dual wifi box has other advantages over the single wifi version.

Thanks in advance.

See s806 review link.. well, I would also advice 2GB ram, and 16GB nand space for first time android tvbox users
    -On a 1GB ram device.. the more you play with it.. the more you find your self hitting the limits of the device
    ( 1GB ram = ±350MB free usable ram)

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell4you View Post
      See s806 review link.. well, I would also advice 2GB ram, and 16GB nand space for first time android tvbox users
      -On a 1GB ram device.. the more you play with it.. the more you find your self hitting the limits of the device
      ( 1GB ram = ±350MB free usable ram)
      Thanks for the reply. I had seen that review already, and it was the reason why I actually decided for this device, but in the mean time a better option might have come available.

As I said, I will use it only to stream movies and music from my server over the LAN, because for games I have my X-box and my 3G internet connection doesn't allow for streaming online.

Pity that there are no test results of the pass through, as I will have my audio decoded by my AV receiver.

Why I would need the Nand memory?

Comment

Working...
      X