Ouya or Quad core RK3188 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ouya or Quad core RK3188 ?

I was about to order one of the quad core RK3188 tv sticks but then i saw that the ouya is about
    To be released , so i am having a hard time deciding which one is better , i know it depends on your
    Personal preference and usage , so i am giving here my interests sorted by order:

1-HW acceleration with capability to run 1080p high bitrate movies on 1080 kernel.
    2-Good performance in heavy 3D games (like wild blood , horn , bard's tale)
    3-Community support and custom firmwares which keeps the device interesting.

I saw some ouya videos and if i understand correctly it has on rail experience , meaning that
    You don't have a desktop filled with apps like what you have with the tv sticks , but you have
    Restricted menus that you can run games from or go to web ( i am not sure if this is true as there
    weren't many videos out there) , so if this is true this is a minus for ouya ,that's why i included point
    No. 3 as may be a future custom firmware can give some extra freedom with ouya.

So i am inviting you guys to share your thoughts and opinions so i can learn from them , thanks.

What do you want more?

In terms of GPU Power, the OUYA has an Nvidia Tegra chip, which I'm sure will beat the Mali chip, available on the RK3188, so if you want better video/graphics, preformance etc... I think the OUYA wins by far, also u get a nice controller for it, which will make playing emulator games even more fun, with no need to look around for a controller that works/connects etc... etc...

The cheapest rk3188 available right now is like 80$? so 20$ more and u get a tegra chip and a free BT controller? OUYA wins IMO, for your home,

but I luv having a dongle

as I sometimes just take my tv stick with me over to my friend's place, and his TV is 1080p lcd, shitty no smart functions what so ever, and I plug my tv stick over there, and my external HDD to it, and always manage to blow his mind with the things I do the games we play using his PS3 controllers, etc etc...

the OUYA has a tegra 3 which goes up to 1.6ghz quad core, so that makes it just as fast as the rk3188, (( some rk3188 claims 1.8ghz, but none so far on market )), aside from that u get the more powerful GPU of the tegra, so in terms of performance etc, OUYA wins. only downside is 1gb ram vs 2gb ram.

soo it's your choice, OUYA definitely stronger performance cause of GPU and same CPU clockspeeds.

so to ur questions,
    1. ouya
    2. ouya
    3. RK3188 on here mostly because that's what we do here, but the OUYA comes unlocked and they welcome customization greatly , so I would expect mad custom stuff for it once it's released and stuff. so again in a few month OUYA will have more custom firemwares and community support that a tv dongle for sure, as it will attract more people? just my theory,

Hope I helped,

Comment

I also agree with Patchey. Even now RK3188 ROM still not great. There is still no real 1080p ROM, un-overclockable, also heat issue if you need to overclock it (you need custom heat sink or fan). Anyway good thing for RK3188 I can see is Bob's custom ROM you can have it right now. For OUYA you have to wait until someone make custom ROM for it.

Comment

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts , i saw some web sites claiming that rk3188 is better than
        Tegra 3 in 3D games , some web sites claim that the rk3188 has a slightly better fill rate
        Than the tegra 3 (10-15%) but the tegra has a far better vertex processing power (about 3 times
        The Mali400) , also the mali pixel shaders are 16 bit only which shows up as a color banding in
        many games (Wild blood and bard's tale) , i don't know if these claims are correct because i don't
        have either of them

As for video it is not that clear also , as i saw successful attempts to play 1080p on XBMC with
        Overclocked Rk3066 , i also saw some beta ouya users that say XBMC works great on ouya but
        I don't know if it can do 1080p videos on 1080p kernel resolution (can someone please verify this)

The only point that i am not liking in the ouya is it doesn't give you the freedom that the tv
        sticks give by giving you a complete desktop and a pc-like experience , while the ouya experience
        Is somewhat limited , but i think as Patchey said this is likely to change by custom firmwares in future.

Thanks again for sharing the thoughts.

Comment

I will get both

To be honest I'm getting both, the OUYA will be in my living room, as the little box has a nice design, and will allow for a better gaming experience with the joysticks and what not, I AM SURE, that custom roms will be made for it, and the tablet/desktop experience will be available and more for the OUYA not long after it's released as many people have been waiting on it.

The reason I say I will get both, is because in my bedroom my 2nd tv, will have the stick, and the outside TV will have the OUYA, meanwhile my 808B is decent, waiting on my 3188 to get delivered.

Also I plan to get a tv for Kitchen, so my MK808B won't go to waste, and I will probably put it on that, even though my tvs are all DLNA Enabled, I enjoy it very much when someone walks into my bedroom and is like "" umm I need to check my mail "" and I just switch my tv to a tablet and I'm like there you go :P enjoy >_>

Oh and I'm sure 1080p will be running on OUYA awesomely, as it's designed for that res isn't it ?

Comment

Originally posted by opengl1971 View Post
            I was about to order one of the quad core RK3188 tv sticks but then i saw that the ouya is about
            To be released , so i am having a hard time deciding which one is better , i know it depends on your
            Personal preference and usage , so i am giving here my interests sorted by order:

1-HW acceleration with capability to run 1080p high bitrate movies on 1080 kernel.
            2-Good performance in heavy 3D games (like wild blood , horn , bard's tale)
            3-Community support and custom firmwares which keeps the device interesting.

I saw some ouya videos and if i understand correctly it has on rail experience , meaning that
            You don't have a desktop filled with apps like what you have with the tv sticks , but you have
            Restricted menus that you can run games from or go to web ( i am not sure if this is true as there
            weren't many videos out there) , so if this is true this is a minus for ouya ,that's why i included point
            No. 3 as may be a future custom firmware can give some extra freedom with ouya.

So i am inviting you guys to share your thoughts and opinions so i can learn from them , thanks.
            I happen to have an ouya from backing the kickstarter program and I also have a MK908 quadcore android stick.
            The ouya only gets a 10,000 score in Antutu while my MK908 gets around 17,000.
            Not to mention you get a full 2gb of ddr3 ram with a MK908 which will greatly help in future 3d games and only hurt the ouya's 1gb future possibilties.
            I say get yourself a MK908 now and by the time it arrives Bob should have a nice custom rom out and you'll be set for gaming and media playback.
            Besides there will be a hacked ouya playstore released very soon for Rk3188 android sticks.

Comment

Thanks Justinbaileyman for sharing your thoughts ,

I have 2 questions :

1-Can XBMC on ouya run high bitrate 1080p mkv videos on a true 1080p kernel ?

2-how can a hacked ouya playstore work on Rk3188 while they have a completely different hardware ?

For example a game for ouya will be designed for Tegra3 GPU which will not work on Mali400.

Comment

I have 2 questions :

2-how can a hacked ouya playstore work on Rk3188 while they have a completely different hardware ?

For example a game for ouya will be designed for Tegra3 GPU which will not work on Mali400.
                good questions man, >_>

I was wondering indeed even with a hacked playstore, if it will work due to GPU difference, however also, I am curious, about how you ran Antutu on the OUYA,

wouldn't that mean, you kind of have a full android desktop experience on the OUYA? because I never used it, but from the videos I saw, it looked like some custom desktop sort of thing.

Also another thing, wtf man the controller is 50$, the console with 1 controller is 100$, makes me feel like the console is 50$ >_> but I do find the controller to be pretty neat. and it's bluetooth, SO I'm assuming I can use it on a tv stick >_> can you tell me if that is possible?

Comment

I have 2 questions :

#1. Not sure about running 1080p mkv video's as I dont even have any of them to test out.
                  I can run every other HD codec video I have with no problems.
                  As for the kernel res I think its the same as every android device 720p upscaled to to 1080p
                  I say this cause in the setting menu it looks 100% the same as my MK908.
                  It shows 1080p@60hz but like I said so does the MK908 and for screen image it looks 100% same side by side.

#2. It will work the same way as a hacked google playstore.
                  The Operating system is the same minus the differences in hardware.
                  But when games are made they are made for the OS in mind not always made hardware specific but some times are.
                  I can give you an example.. ShadowgunTHD was made for tegra3 hardware specificly in mind but yet can be played on MK908 and any other RK3188 device.
                  Same as most gameloft games yet I can play around 85- 90% of them on my MK908.
                  Sure there will be a few games here or there that wont work at first but they will either get updated or hacked to play on other devices.
                  Another thing is I have 2 games that are ouya exclusives Final Fantasy 3 and Polarity and both work 100% on MK908 no hacks need.

#3. I am not trying to sway you away from buying an ouya,I am just showing you that ouya is nothing special and is less powerfull then current gen RK3188 devices and will age faster due to its 1gb ram vs rk3188 2gb of ram.
                  In my mind the ouya is the same thing as any other Quadcore android device just put into a different boxie package.
                  The plus side is that the ouya has a cool controller very very similar to the Wii-u controller "not the tablet game pad".
                  Also you get to try out all games for free which is lacking on every other device out right now.
                  I would say if you dont currently have a quadcore android device at the moment you cant go wrong with a ouya+controller for $100.00.
                  I have both because I am a hoarder and an avid game collector and they both get there fair share of use.

Comment

Originally posted by Patchey View Post
                    good questions man, >_>

I was wondering indeed even with a hacked playstore, if it will work due to GPU difference, however also, I am curious, about how you ran Antutu on the OUYA,

wouldn't that mean, you kind of have a full android desktop experience on the OUYA? because I never used it, but from the videos I saw, it looked like some custom desktop sort of thing.

Also another thing, wtf man the controller is 50$, the console with 1 controller is 100$, makes me feel like the console is 50$ >_> but I do find the controller to be pretty neat. and it's bluetooth, SO I'm assuming I can use it on a tv stick >_> can you tell me if that is possible?
                    Yes you can use the controller on other android devices as long as you have Bluetooth or a bluetooth dongle and pair it to the device using a controller pairing tool of your choice.
                    The console is closer to $75 price tag and the controller would be around $20-25 price.
                    I rather use my 360 controller though as the ouya controller feels really cheap and plasticy.
                    But what do you expect for $100 bucks??

Comment

Thanks Patchey and Justinbaileyman for sharing your opinions.

To give you the whole picture of my situation:
                      I have many 1080p movies of a very high bitrate (40-50Mbps) H264 codec.
                      Some of them exceeds 50G.B. , these kind of movies were only playable by a PC and nothing else ,None of the big names media players were able to play them (WDTV live streaming , Egreat , Popcorn , Media8ter , etc) , i tried nearly every possible media player in the market and they all failed To play the 1080p hi bitrate movies , until i tried these tv sticks (UG007) Using MX video player and to my surprise it played them Without a hitch even in 1080p Kernel resolution , so that was a relief.

My only problem is i am used to use XBMC to organize my movie collection , and the video hardware Acceleration is not very good in it as it uses a tech called libstagefright which has a bad performance on current MK808 or similar sticks , some users were able to play 1080p movies with XBMC on 1080p kernel by overclocking the GPU to 466Mhz , so theoretically given the fact that the quad coreSticks GPU is clocked at 533Mhz it should be able to do the trick (Please check a discussion on these forms called "XBMC what work and what doesn't" for more info if you want)

In real world tests the quad core TV sticks were having troubles (Judder) in playing even normalVideos due to what appears to be a bug in their firmware so they weren't even able
                      to Achieve What the MK808 were able to do (yet)

Now that we have ouya , the XBMC devs claimed a full XBMC support , the early Ouya releases reported Ouya's inability to run 1080p movies with XBMC but the ouya devs said that the early ouya units Doesn't reflect the final product so there was still hope that the final release can even play 1080p movies In a real 1080p kernel , (That's why i asked anyone that has ouya to verify).

Sorry for the very long post but i realized that i didn't give you the whole picture before ,
                      So there you have it , thanks again Patchey and Justinbaileyman for your contribution.

Comment

Thanks Patchey and Justinbaileyman for sharing your opinions.

To give you the whole picture of my situation:
                        I have many 1080p movies of a very high bitrate (40-50Mbps) H264 codec.
                        Some of them exceeds 50G.B. , these kind of movies were only playable by a PC and nothing else ,None of the big names media players were able to play them (WDTV live streaming , Egreat , Popcorn , Media8ter , etc) , i tried nearly every possible media player in the market and they all failed To play the 1080p hi bitrate movies , until i tried these tv sticks (UG007) Using MX video player and to my surprise it played them Without a hitch even in 1080p Kernel resolution , so that was a relief.

My only problem is i am used to use XBMC to organize my movie collection , and the video hardware Acceleration is not very good in it as it uses a tech called libstagefright which has a bad performance on current MK808 or similar sticks , some users were able to play 1080p movies with XBMC on 1080p kernel by overclocking the GPU to 466Mhz , so theoretically given the fact that the quad coreSticks GPU is clocked at 533Mhz it should be able to do the trick (Please check a discussion on these forms called "XBMC what work and what doesn't" for more info if you want)

In real world tests the quad core TV sticks were having troubles (Judder) in playing even normalVideos due to what appears to be a bug in their firmware so they weren't even able
                        to Achieve What the MK808 were able to do (yet)

Now that we have ouya , the XBMC devs claimed a full XBMC support , the early Ouya releases reported Ouya's inability to run 1080p movies with XBMC but the ouya devs said that the early ouya units Doesn't reflect the final product so there was still hope that the final release can even play 1080p movies In a real 1080p kernel , (That's why i asked anyone that has ouya to verify).

Sorry for the very long post but i realized that i didn't give you the whole picture before ,
                        So there you have it , thanks again Patchey and Justinbaileyman for your contribution.
                        No problem at all.
                        By the way things have seemed to changed overnight as Bob just released his version of the official 4.2.2 rom that fixes all the video play back issues on quad core MK908's also netflix is working like it should now.
                        I still cannot comment on playing MKV files but I have full rips Of HD-DVD movies coming in around 25GB that I play on VLC and XBMC and they seem to play just fine.
                        I also have a few 1080p H.264 movie trailors and they play pretty darn good to.
                        I play media on my MK908 and MK808 mostly.
                        I could try out some media out on the ouya and see what video is like if you need me to.

Comment

Originally posted by Justinbaileyman View Post
                          No problem at all.
                          By the way things have seemed to changed overnight as Bob just released his version of the official 4.2.2 rom that fixes all the video play back issues on quad core MK908's also netflix is working like it should now.
                          I still cannot comment on playing MKV files but I have full rips Of HD-DVD movies coming in around 25GB that I play on VLC and XBMC and they seem to play just fine.
                          I also have a few 1080p H.264 movie trailors and they play pretty darn good to.
                          I play media on my MK908 and MK808 mostly.
                          I could try out some media out on the ouya and see what video is like if you need me to.
                          I saw the finless rom game changer , things are getting better and better for the quad cores
                          Great news about the XBMC playing 25G.B movies , thanks for letting me know.

Can you please test the big 25G.B files on the ouya also ? really thanks justinbaileyman
                          For your help.

Comment

Any updates on this front? I'm curious on how things are shaking out between Ouya and Rk3188 sticks. My main question is how multiplayer works on the Rk3188.

Comment

Originally posted by Justinbaileyman View Post
                              #1. Not sure about running 1080p mkv video's as I dont even have any of them to test out.
                              I can run every other HD codec video I have with no problems.
                              As for the kernel res I think its the same as every android device 720p upscaled to to 1080p
                              I say this cause in the setting menu it looks 100% the same as my MK908.
                              It shows 1080p@60hz but like I said so does the MK908 and for screen image it looks 100% same side by side.

#2. It will work the same way as a hacked google playstore.
                              The Operating system is the same minus the differences in hardware.
                              But when games are made they are made for the OS in mind not always made hardware specific but some times are.
                              I can give you an example.. ShadowgunTHD was made for tegra3 hardware specificly in mind but yet can be played on MK908 and any other RK3188 device.
                              Same as most gameloft games yet I can play around 85- 90% of them on my MK908.
                              Sure there will be a few games here or there that wont work at first but they will either get updated or hacked to play on other devices.
                              Another thing is I have 2 games that are ouya exclusives Final Fantasy 3 and Polarity and both work 100% on MK908 no hacks need.

#3. I am not trying to sway you away from buying an ouya,I am just showing you that ouya is nothing special and is less powerfull then current gen RK3188 devices and will age faster due to its 1gb ram vs rk3188 2gb of ram.
                              In my mind the ouya is the same thing as any other Quadcore android device just put into a different boxie package.
                              The plus side is that the ouya has a cool controller very very similar to the Wii-u controller "not the tablet game pad".
                              Also you get to try out all games for free which is lacking on every other device out right now.
                              I would say if you dont currently have a quadcore android device at the moment you cant go wrong with a ouya+controller for $100.00.
                              I have both because I am a hoarder and an avid game collector and they both get there fair share of use.
                              I was wondering where I can find the hacked ouya store? Would you mind sharing a link?

Comment

Working...
                              X