Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a realtime / RT kernel for Picuntu 4.5 for RK3188 devices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a realtime / RT kernel for Picuntu 4.5 for RK3188 devices?

Hello and thanks to everyone working so hard on these releases ...

I'm working on a project that is running on Cozyswan Momi M1 sticks .. working with Picuntu 4.5.

I'm running realtime audio software on these, using Jack / Pure Data / external USB soundcards. Sound goes in from microphone / some processing occurs / sound comes out.

I would like to get the kernel somehow running in realtime mode - currently I think that there are some audio glitches that are coming from various interruptions from other processes - because I can't seem to get Jack to run in realtime mode.

There is a network of these communicating over Wifi - so I need network up and running.

I think this is the right question to be asking - but is there a realtime kernel available for these devices? Or if not, is it possible to patch one myself?

I'm running the 'top' command from terminal, and seeing most everything with a priority of 20, which I'm gathering isn't such a good thing for my situation ...

Thanks in advance!

S

Originally posted by "wikipedia
    A real-time operating system (RTOS) is an operating system (OS) intended to serve real-time application requests. It must be able to process data as it comes in, typically without buffering delays. Processing time requirements (including any OS delay) are measured in tenths of seconds or shorter.
    Hahahahahaha

Sounds like you need a book on kernel development. We can barely get a STABLE linux kernel running.
    Your best bet would be a small x86 style system, with enough oomph under the hood to get done what you need.

That, or try to compile the RTLinux module to work with RK3188.

Heres the source: https://github.com/aloksinha2001/Linux3188

Get crackin'
    Buy me a beer with
    DogeCoin: D6EeoEKcZJL234UhVFRV8Uy6HnfNurBS2y
    or
    BitCoin 17iQsUv7RoWVmDynfBS9qF88NxT4ETvhUn

Comment

Originally posted by tyeo098 View Post
      Sounds like you need a book on kernel development.

That is totally true ... I'm completely new to all of this. That said - I'm amazed at the stability of the system that's running as it stands. Seems to boot up and run my little routine without too many hiccups - I just feel after reading enough about jack / audio that a realtime kernel would be amazing if possible.

Thanks for the quick reply and for setting me straight about where things stand. I will look into the kernel development when I have time - for now I'll have to settle with the system as it stands due to time constraints. But this is already a good system - a stable (seeming) headless Pure Data device with an external soundcard, 2 ins and 2 outs, running with 35ms latency. I'm using it in an embedded sound installation - 12 of these going into a set of outdoor lighting elements, with speakers etc, part of a larger artwork. I'll post a link when it's up and running.

And again, many thanks to everyone developing this ...

S

Comment

RTLinux prioritization module should be able to be cross-compiled for our kernel.

This will give you the <10ms latency you want. However, it would be a lot of work for it to work.

Best of luck!
        Buy me a beer with
        DogeCoin: D6EeoEKcZJL234UhVFRV8Uy6HnfNurBS2y
        or
        BitCoin 17iQsUv7RoWVmDynfBS9qF88NxT4ETvhUn

Comment

Working...
        X