Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to take regular Nand backups on Picuntu 4.5

Hi,

I have been using Picuntu 4.5 for a few weeks now. I have installed it with the BasicGUI installer into the Nand.

Now I have already had a crash, due to incorrect manipuations, and I've lost whatever I had installed and developed on the device. I m afraid this may occur once again in the future, and I would like to find a way to make regular backups.

I could make a dd based script that I would add to the crontab. But would this disk image be compatible with the RKFlashTool ?

* How to create disk images that can be flashed with RKFlashTool ?
    * Which partitions or /dev/* should I save?

Thanks guys.
    Blog [FR]

You can use rkflashtool itself

Hi,

I had the same issue (in my case I suspect a powerred external USB hub for having sent a spike of power which caused it to fail twice). I was also thinking about dd, but that will NOT produce compatible images. A key problem (I believe) in using dd would be that when the time comes to restoring th eimage, as these MiniPCs do not have any possibility of booting from an external drive, so if you tried to restore it you would have to overwrite the drive you are currently logged in to...

If you look here: https://github.com/Galland/rkflashtool_rk3066/issues/1 you can see that you can do a backup with rkflashtool. For this you obviously need another device running Linux, such as a laptop booted with a live CD or a second mini PC.

Either way, using the calculation described on the web page given with my 16gb device I ended up with the following command line sudo ./rkflashtool r 0x12000 33480704 > backup_system.img . I tested this both to load as a loop device and to burn it to a mini PC and it worked great for both.

Good luck!

A

Originally posted by dotvav View Post
    Hi,

I have been using Picuntu 4.5 for a few weeks now. I have installed it with the BasicGUI installer into the Nand.

Now I have already had a crash, due to incorrect manipuations, and I've lost whatever I had installed and developed on the device. I m afraid this may occur once again in the future, and I would like to find a way to make regular backups.

I could make a dd based script that I would add to the crontab. But would this disk image be compatible with the RKFlashTool ?

* How to create disk images that can be flashed with RKFlashTool ?
    * Which partitions or /dev/* should I save?

Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
    X