Ubuntu Mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu Mini

Ubuntu Mini is lean and mean Ubuntu for ARM based Android Mini PCs. I started off like a lot of others by using PicUntu, but since it is based on a non-LTS version of Ubuntu I set off to build my own. You can use the pre-built kernels, build your own or get a kernel elsewhere. This will give you a lot more flexibility for creating customized distributions.

I've built and tested Ubuntu 12.04.4 and Ubuntu 14.04.0 on RK3066 and RK3188 devices. I've tested against popular kernels, modules and firmware which are included on the GitHub site. I've also had good luck building kernels with Marvin which I've documented as well. If you want to dual boot Android/Linux make sure you flash a ROM that supports /etc/init.d. After flashing the initial ROM everything else can be done in Linux without the need for Windows.

Report issues on GitHub.

Originally posted by sgjava View Post
    Ubuntu Mini is lean and mean Ubuntu for ARM based Android Mini PCs. I started off like a lot of others by using PicUntu, but since it is based on a non-LTS version of Ubuntu I set off to build my own. You can use the pre-built kernels, build your own or get a kernel elsewhere. This will give you a lot more flexibility for creating customized distributions.

I've built and tested Ubuntu 12.04.4 and Ubuntu 14.04.0 on RK3066 and RK3188 devices. I've tested against popular kernels, modules and firmware which are included on the GitHub site. I've also had good luck building kernels with Marvin which I've documented as well. If you want to dual boot Android/Linux make sure you flash a ROM that supports /etc/init.d. After flashing the initial ROM everything else can be done in Linux without the need for Windows.

Report issues on GitHub.
    Acceleration with GPU Mali400 works on Minix neo X5 mini? or can be install such as "Mali on Linux" on neo X7?

Comment

Mali GPU support

Originally posted by jsmt View Post
      Acceleration with GPU Mali400 works on Minix neo X5 mini? or can be install such as "Mali on Linux" on neo X7?
      Check out http://hwswbits.blogspot.com/2013/04...ntu-linux.html. If you can find a kernel that supports Mali GPU it should be a matter of loading the modules and deb packages.

Comment

Check out http://hwswbits.blogspot.com/2013/04...ntu-linux.html. If you can find a kernel that supports Mali GPU it should be a matter of loading the modules and deb packages.
        i will test it, thanks.

Comment

Wow

Do you have working onboard-WiFi with this?
          That would be THE DREAM! Linux on my MK808-B WITH wifi!
          Cheers!

Comment

Great Work!

I have a MK808-B “clone” with Mediatek Wifi/Bluetooth chipset.

What Kernel would you recommend for that device?
            olegk0-3.0.8.tar.gz?

Do I have to load additional modules in step 11? Which ones?

Your help is appreciated! Thx a lot.

keyel

Comment

MK808B wifi

Originally posted by 1234klaus View Post
              Do you have working onboard-WiFi with this?
              That would be THE DREAM! Linux on my MK808-B WITH wifi!
              Cheers!
              I've never seen a kernel yet that supports the chipset for the "B". Typically you have to use a USB wifi dongle. Look for the supported ones on the kernel sites.

Comment

Originally posted by keyel80 View Post
                I have a MK808-B “clone” with Mediatek Wifi/Bluetooth chipset.

What Kernel would you recommend for that device?
                olegk0-3.0.8.tar.gz?

Do I have to load additional modules in step 11? Which ones?

Your help is appreciated! Thx a lot.

keyel
                You can check here https://www.miniand.com/forums/forum...ith-wifi-patch, but it's probably better to use a supported USB wifi dongle. I gave my MK808Bs away as gifts with android ROMs and only use the real MK808s for Linux. I've moved on to the MK802IV quad cores as well.

Comment

The problem is the adapter name is eth1 and wpa_gui won't recognize. Trying to fix it in /etc/network/interfaces.
                  Last edited by crom27143; 10-04-2014, 05:11.

Comment

Can it be installed in nand directly?

Report issues on GitHub.
                    This looks promising. I am planning to test this for my mk908II tomorrow. I would like to know if it can be installed to Nand directly or not? If yes how?

Comment

Originally posted by Avasz View Post
                      This looks promising. I am planning to test this for my mk908II tomorrow. I would like to know if it can be installed to Nand directly or not? If yes how?
                      It's possible, but I've only done it from SD.

Comment

Black Screen

I'm attempting to get this working with my Tronsmart MK908 v1 (Finless 1.8 1080p ROM)
                        I have flashed the marvin mk802iv-ap6210 recovery img. When I boot to recovery I only get a black screen. It was unclear to me as to if this was the proper image to use for my hardware or if their is a problem with my sd layout.

I partitioned my sd as follows

1 primary ext4 linuxroot: 8 GiB(built using your instructions up to Flash Kernel:Flash)
                        2 primary ext4 data ~20 GiB (empty)
                        3 linuxswap: 2 GiB

I didn't do anything with the kernel .config and .txt file as I didn't see any guidance to do so.
                        I flashed the recovery image using the Finless ROM Flash tool instead of following your guidance as well. Is this a problem?

Any assistance appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                        X