Linux on RK3188T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux on RK3188T

By now most of you know about the RK3188T and problems with video and Linux kernels. Frankly, I can live with 1.4 GHz since once you clock the cores above 1 GHz for any length of time the device over heats (try building a big project when all cores are near 100% for hours). What I cannot live with is the inability to boot Linux off the device. I tried the following on a Tronsmart MK908II (heading back to Amazon as I speak):

• Video flicker solved! (built with Picuntu kernel, but black screen only)
    • MK908ii and Linux again (tried Groch's kernel, but no go, video out of range for lapdock)
    • Tried many kernels and configurations with Marvin (black screen or reboots)
    • Built radxa kernel which boots to penguins, but reboots back to Android. This was the only one where video came up, but it doesn't have AP6210 support.

I did this as recovery images and booting from Android (like I do on my MK808 and MK802IV). I've seen posts stating they had PicUntu working, but when you follow the instructions you get the black screen of death or reboots. What I'd like to know is exactly which devices work with which kernels (exact configs). If the answer is none, I can live with that, but since Finless 1.5a worked perfectly on my MK908II I'd think the that would translate to a Linux kernel. I really don't want to get more RK3066 devices since they are still in the $40-$50 US range.

If you have a success story please post device, where you bought it from and kernel used. I'm primarily concerned with booting Ubuntu off SD, but I'll take anything at this point. The RK32XX devices will not be out until 2nd quarter and there's no guarantee we'll have Linux kernels booting off them any time soon.

As an alternative can you post true RK3188 devices for sale? I don't mind paying $80 US like I did for my MK802IV (RTL8188), but event those have RK3188T now! The Minix devices are too expensive an bulky for my application of these devices.
    Last edited by sgjava; 03-27-2014, 13:50.

Every Linux kernel that I tried on my 3188T (I have a MK802IV) has issues with the video dropping every few seconds. I had one kernel that didn't flicker, but then I had no AP6210 support.

I've been trying to get everything working correctly the last week or two and I'm about to give up and throw this MK802IV in the trash.
    RKM MK802 IV Stick (RK3188T 2G/8G)

Comment

Originally posted by zero_x12 View Post
      Every Linux kernel that I tried on my 3188T (I have a MK802IV) has issues with the video dropping every few seconds. I had one kernel that didn't flicker, but then I had no AP6210 support.

I've been trying to get everything working correctly the last week or two and I'm about to give up and throw this MK802IV in the trash.
      I had the same video flicker and dropping every few seconds on my mk908v3 with normal rk3188. I solved it by using new hdmi sources from a kitkat kernel in omegamoons .72 sources.

It is a long shot, but maybe this solves the problem on the rk3188T as well? You could try the recovery image with my kernel from here: Tiny Core Linux for mk908, full distro in recovery img UPDATE
      just flash image to recovery partition and reboot to recovery. This has support for ap6210 too.

Comment

Omegamoons 3.0.72 is no longer available...
        At that moment, he releases the 3.0.101, he replace it at his github (https://github.com/omegamoon/Rockchip-GPL-Kernel)...
        But there exist some forks (e.g. https://github.com/Galland?tab=repositories)
        RK3288 Devices
        - Overview BOX (LINK !)
        - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
        UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
        Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
        Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
        Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
          Omegamoons 3.0.72 is no longer available...
          At that moment, he releases the 3.0.101, he replace it at his github (https://github.com/omegamoon/Rockchip-GPL-Kernel)...
          But there exist some forks (e.g. https://github.com/Galland?tab=repositories)
          One of the benefits of version control is that you can still clone an earlier (the .72) revision right?
          I forked the .72 revision too: https://github.com/biemster/Rockchip-GPL-Kernel
          I'll update with the new hdmi sources in the near future when i find some time.

Comment

"... It is kind of a "big bang" commit. Sorry about that. There are too many changes to mention them all separately ..."
            So in this case I don't think so ???
            RK3288 Devices
            - Overview BOX (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
            Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
            Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
            Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Yea, I sent my MK908II back to Amazon. I found a MK802IV used with serial number 201305xxxxxxx (RTL8188 wifi) for $55. I'm surprised there's not more used ones on **** or amazon. I contacted several vendors with MK802IVs and they all have the new ones with RK3188T even though they still advertise RK3188.

Comment

http://www.omegamoon.com/blog/index....y140317-173710
                "... It is kind of a "big bang" commit. Sorry about that. There are too many changes to mention them all separately ..."
                So in this case I don't think so ???
                This:
                Code:
                git clone https://github.com/omegamoon/Rockchip-GPL-Kernel
                git reset --hard 5cd0004bc7f03467e9246613c7af6351c1847651 (<- is sha1 of oct 2 commit)
                should get you the .72 revision right? Maybe I don't understand your comment or am I missing something?

cheers!

Comment

Maybe I don't understand git
                  RK3288 Devices
                  - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

Maybe I don't understand git
                    I need to download the Facebook API from GitHub. Normally, I just click on the 'Downloads" tab to download the latest source code. In this case, I need an older commit:

git clone https://github.com/omegamoon/Rockchip-GPL-Kernel.git
                    cd Rockchip-GPL-Kernel
                    git checkout 5cd0004bc7f03467e9246613c7af6351c1847651

Comment

Originally posted by biemster View Post
                      I had the same video flicker and dropping every few seconds on my mk908v3 with normal rk3188. I solved it by using new hdmi sources from a kitkat kernel in omegamoons .72 sources.

It is a long shot, but maybe this solves the problem on the rk3188T as well? You could try the recovery image with my kernel from here: Tiny Core Linux for mk908, full distro in recovery img UPDATE
                      just flash image to recovery partition and reboot to recovery. This has support for ap6210 too.
                      So basically no .36 kernel will work?

Comment

So basically no .36 kernel will work?
                        None, that I tried on the Tronsmart RK908II. Others said they at least got video (maybe because I'm using a lapdock), but I only got black screens. The only kernel that came up with a display was the radxa kernel, but it only made it to the penguins before rebooting back to android. The radxa kernel didn't have the AP6210 in menuconfig either.

Comment

I don't know, but maybe it depends on lcd0 and lcd1 and board-rk3188-box.c...
                          RK3288 Devices
                          - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

I gave up and threw my MK802IV in the trash. These things are just not ready for linux.

Comment

I gave up and threw my MK802IV in the trash. These things are just not ready for linux.
                              I was able to get Linux working on a new MK802IV I just bought from this Amazon vendor, but it's dated 201307 and CheckRK3188.apk shows it's a real RK3188! Since it had the AP6210 I had to copy the firmware from Picuntu 4.4.3 using Alok's kernel source and /system dir since this is where the kernel is looking for it (the 8188eu wifi works out of the box). I patched the kernel to work with 480P, so it would work on my Lapdock. You can get the kernels (480P, 720P and 1080P, AP6210 and RTL8188 wifi) and details on my GitHub site. One thing I found out is that when using Marvin you have to be careful with the CPU frequencies. Playing around with those caused the blank screen on a real RK3188 device even though I copied them from the base config. This may have been my problem with the MK908 II since it exhibited the same behavior although I know there are voltage settings as well that are required.

The problem now is do I wait for the new RK32xx this summer or do I try to hack the RK3188Ts.

Comment

Working...
                              X