Kitkat on Radxa Rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kitkat on Radxa Rock

Fancy Android Kitkat and Linux Trusty Tahr Ubuntu/Xubuntu using a kernel compiled from Kitkat source?

Anyone wanting to try my leading edge full Kitkat taster experience can flash the 'update.img' (do an 'lf' then 'ef' then 'uf') after uncompressing from https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B99...WMxTGRKXzB6M2s to their Radxa Rock and 'dd' after uncompressing https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B99...HFBZER1a21DLUk to an SD card or USB as the RFS. The software includes my updated Linuxium bootloader software for dual-booting, the Android 4.4.2 preview firmware released by Radxa and a Linux kernel I built from the Radxa's Rockchip Kitkat SDK kernel with the permission of Tom Cubie. Thanks to the Radxa team for their support.

I recommend you first boot Linux and 'sudo su -', 'passwd root', 'resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0' before setting up ethernet and then 'ntpdate au.pool.ntp.org'. You can either get flash working or 'aptitude install browser-plugin-gnash' for limited youtube support. As Google Apps are not installed on Android by default you can 'cd /root/android', 'mkdir gapps', 'cd gapps', 'unzip ../gapps-kk-20140105-signed.zip', 'mount /dev/mtdblock9 /mnt', 'resize2fs /dev/mtdblock9', 'cp -a system/* /mnt' and 'umount /mnt'.

When booting Linux select Xubuntu as Ubuntu with Unity fails to load. This is seemingly now a known problem as it is similar on the Odroid U3. The RFS includes both ubuntu-desktop and xubuntu-desktop as well as working Mali 3D support but does not include wifi at this stage.

Excellent stuff. Well Done to you and Tom.
    Measy U4B (=Tronsmart T428) used by my kids!
    Onda v975m - M802 - Bought from Banggood.com
    Pipo M8HD 3G - RK3188 - don't buy from pipo-store
    Tronsmart S89 Vega -S802 (sponsored by Geekbuying)
    CX921b -RK3188T (sponsored by AndroidTV)
    Cube U30GT2 - RK3188 (part sponsored by Geekbuying)
    RKM MK902 - RK3188 (sponsored by RKM)

Donate to Finless

Comment

Is the provided linux kernel and OS image capable of doing VPU decoding?

Comment

Originally posted by knawnd View Post
        Is the provided linux kernel and OS image capable of doing VPU decoding?
        VPU is still WIP.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxium View Post
          Fancy Android Kitkat and Linux Trusty Tahr Ubuntu/Xubuntu using a kernel compiled from Kitkat source? .
          hi linuxium , Can you share your kernel config.

• and of course for the effort

flycast mk809iii

Comment

Linuxium,

Nice work again as always. Loaded and worked exactly as documented. Will probably reload again after I purchase a SSD. Right now working with OMA's new Radxa release.

tonikasch is working on vpu support and has a Wiki http://linux-rockchip.info/mw/index.php?title=Main_Page under video acceleration.

Thanks
            Last edited by cappybob; 04-11-2014, 03:27. Reason: VPU

Comment

Originally posted by linuxium View Post
              Fancy Android Kitkat and Linux Trusty Tahr Ubuntu/Xubuntu using a kernel compiled from Kitkat source?

Anyone wanting to try my leading edge full Kitkat taster experience can flash the 'update.img' (do an 'lf' then 'ef' then 'uf') after uncompressing from https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B99...WMxTGRKXzB6M2s to their Radxa Rock and 'dd' after uncompressing https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B99...HFBZER1a21DLUk to an SD card or USB as the RFS. The software includes my updated Linuxium bootloader software for dual-booting, the Android 4.4.2 preview firmware released by Radxa and a Linux kernel I built from the Radxa's Rockchip Kitkat SDK kernel with the permission of Tom Cubie. Thanks to the Radxa team for their support.

I recommend you first boot Linux and 'sudo su -', 'passwd root', 'resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0' before setting up ethernet and then 'ntpdate au.pool.ntp.org'. You can either get flash working or 'aptitude install browser-plugin-gnash' for limited youtube support. As Google Apps are not installed on Android by default you can 'cd /root/android', 'mkdir gapps', 'cd gapps', 'unzip ../gapps-kk-20140105-signed.zip', 'mount /dev/mtdblock9 /mnt', 'resize2fs /dev/mtdblock9', 'cp -a system/* /mnt' and 'umount /mnt'.

When booting Linux select Xubuntu as Ubuntu with Unity fails to load. This is seemingly now a known problem as it is similar on the Odroid U3. The RFS includes both ubuntu-desktop and xubuntu-desktop as well as working Mali 3D support but does not include wifi at this stage.
              Ian, do you have the same pack for Minix Neo x7? Or mentioned above pack for Radxa Rock should work on Minix Neo x7 since they are both based on the same SoC? In particular I am interested in your bootloader, linux recovery kernel with Mali 3D support and Ubuntu 14.04 RFS on SD card.

Comment

Originally posted by taki-arm View Post
                hi linuxium , Can you share your kernel config.

• and of course for the effort

Config is included with the source on github.

Comment

Originally posted by knawnd View Post
                  Ian, do you have the same pack for Minix Neo x7? Or mentioned above pack for Radxa Rock should work on Minix Neo x7 since they are both based on the same SoC? In particular I am interested in your bootloader, linux recovery kernel with Mali 3D support and Ubuntu 14.04 RFS on SD card.
                  I haven't done one for the Minix Neo X7 since they haven't released a Kitkat Android and they were quite vocal about their position on Kitkat (see https://www.facebook.com/minixtech/p...stream_ref=10#).

Comment

Working...
                  X