SD Card booting without flashing your device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by linuxium View Post
    Therefore, please can I suggest you try another SD card and let me know the results? Try cycling the power a couple of times to see if this gets it to boot (if you've not already tried that).
    Right now I have only 2GB another sdcard which size is not enough I guess.

Is it normal 'parted -l' shows:
    Code:
    Error: /dev/sdb: unrecognised disk label                                  
    Model: Multiple Card Reader (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdb: 7969MB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: unknown
    The output of create-sdcard script execution is the following:
    Code:
    ./create-sdcard: Is your SD card loaded as disk 'sdb' (i.e. '/dev/sdb'?) y
    ./create-sdcard: Creating a bootable SD card on '/dev/sdb' ...
    ./create-sdcard: Creating new filesystem on SD card ...
    ./create-sdcard: New filesystem created on SD card ...
    ./create-sdcard: Copying rootfs to SD card ...
    ./create-sdcard: Rootfs copied to SD card ...
    ./create-sdcard: Copying bootloader to SD card ...
    rm: cannot remove ‘MBR’: No such file or directory
    ./create-sdcard: Bootloader copied to SD card ...
    ./create-sdcard: Finished creating a bootable SD card.

Comment

Originally posted by knawnd View Post
      Right now I have only 2GB another sdcard which size is not enough I guess.

Is it normal 'parted -l' shows:
      Code:
      Error: /dev/sdb: unrecognised disk label                                  
      Model: Multiple Card Reader (scsi)
      Disk /dev/sdb: 7969MB
      Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
      Partition Table: unknown
      The output of create-sdcard script execution is the following:
      Code:
      ./create-sdcard: Is your SD card loaded as disk 'sdb' (i.e. '/dev/sdb'?) y
      ./create-sdcard: Creating a bootable SD card on '/dev/sdb' ...
      ./create-sdcard: Creating new filesystem on SD card ...
      ./create-sdcard: New filesystem created on SD card ...
      ./create-sdcard: Copying rootfs to SD card ...
      ./create-sdcard: Rootfs copied to SD card ...
      ./create-sdcard: Copying bootloader to SD card ...
      rm: cannot remove ‘MBR’: No such file or directory
      ./create-sdcard: Bootloader copied to SD card ...
      ./create-sdcard: Finished creating a bootable SD card.
      I assume the 'error' of "cannot remove ‘MBR’" is because you are running the script against a blank SD card? If you were to run 'parted -l' now you should see the partition table and if you now run the 'update_sdcard' you should not see the "cannot remove ‘MBR’" error (assuming you removed all the '/dev/null' entries). Finally to check that the SD card has created correctly, you should be able to put it back into a Linux box and see the partition with the RFS on. Can you confirm?

Comment

If it is rebooting then it sounds like the kernel is panicking for some reason. I've heard that the latest model of the MK802IV using the RK3188T CPU has issues with this kernel in that the screen flickers so maybe this is related. You could try using someone else's MK802IV kernel to confirm whether this is the case.
        I've got another Linux test kernel working for the MK802IV but it hasn't been tested on the 3188T CPU ...
        the kernel image is https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B99...0lmdjNCVDFFckU ...
        do you want to try it?

Comment

I assume the 'error' of "cannot remove ‘MBR’" is because you are running the script against a blank SD card? If you were to run 'parted -l' now you should see the partition table and if you now run the 'update_sdcard' you should not see the "cannot remove ‘MBR’" error (assuming you removed all the '/dev/null' entries). Finally to check that the SD card has created correctly, you should be able to put it back into a Linux box and see the partition with the RFS on. Can you confirm?
          Can you also try re-writing the SD card using my new version of the script (downloaded from https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B99...3VZMzMtNGVHMkk and the file should first be unzipped) and then run as root by running the command 'sudo ./create_sdcard'.

Comment

No, no need for root - booting this way from SD card should be totally independent to how you have your current device set up.
            Great !

So i try to create my sdcard but i can't run the script :/
            I'm a mac user so i ran ubuntu from a live usb. First i copied the unzipped folder on my sdcard and
            here what i've done :
            Code:
            [FONT=Times]ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/ubuntu/0403-0201/make-rkm-mk802iv$ dir[/FONT]
            [FONT=Times]boot.img       kernel.img     rootfs.img[/FONT]
            [FONT=Times]create-sdcard  parameter.img  sdboot_rk3188.img[/FONT]
            [FONT=Times]ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/ubuntu/0403-0201/make-rkm-mk802iv$ su[/FONT]
            [FONT=Times]Password: [/FONT]
            [FONT=Times]root@ubuntu:/media/ubuntu/0403-0201/make-rkm-mk802iv# sudo ./create-sdcard[/FONT]
            [FONT=Times]sudo: ./create-sdcard: command not found[/FONT]
            'media/ubuntu/0403-0201' is the mount point of my sdcard.
            I have no skills with Linux and i try to learn by myself but here i don't understand what i've done wrong.
            Maybe you could explain me what i have to do.
            Cheers.

Comment

RK3188T RK809iii

Well this is my first day here and my first post, but I have read a lot of things on here about running linux on the different android sticks. I bought a 809iii with the RK3188T in it. The 'T' was not mentioned in the ad when I was looking to buy it, but it was **** so no big thing there. I have tried and tried and tried everything and every way to get linux to run on this thing and it is a no go. I tried this and at first, black screen and then after a few other attempts, it just went and booted back into android. This stick does not have some of the usual stuff in it apparently. It has a RTL8723bs wifi and nothing works when I even upgrade android to kitkat. If someone does actually get linux to run on a 809iii with the 'T' chip in it, I hope they do it soon. Wish I was better at code but have not done any coding in more then 10 years so I think I probably forgot too much to be of any use to anyone myself. You guys are great, so please keep up the awesome work. Thanks.

Comment

The output of the 'parted -l' command in my post above was gained after create-sdcard script run. But before that sdcard had proper partition table and it had properly working linux root fs on it. After using your updated create-sdcard script and running 'partprobe' and re-inserting sdcard 'parted -l' still shows "Partition Table: unknown".
                If manually create partition table on sdcard (e.g. using gparted) and then run create-sdcard script then 'parted -l' shows "Partition Table: unknown" again as well as create-sdcard prints "rm: cannot remove ‘MBR’: No such file or directory".

Comment

Originally posted by AudioBubble View Post
                  Great !

So i try to create my sdcard but i can't run the script :/
                  I'm a mac user so i ran ubuntu from a live usb. First i copied the unzipped folder on my sdcard and
                  here what i've done :
                  Code:
                  [FONT=Times]ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/ubuntu/0403-0201/make-rkm-mk802iv$ dir[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Times]boot.img       kernel.img     rootfs.img[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Times]create-sdcard  parameter.img  sdboot_rk3188.img[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Times]ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/ubuntu/0403-0201/make-rkm-mk802iv$ su[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Times]Password: [/FONT]
                  [FONT=Times]root@ubuntu:/media/ubuntu/0403-0201/make-rkm-mk802iv# sudo ./create-sdcard[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Times]sudo: ./create-sdcard: command not found[/FONT]
                  'media/ubuntu/0403-0201' is the mount point of my sdcard.
                  I have no skills with Linux and i try to learn by myself but here i don't understand what i've done wrong.
                  Maybe you could explain me what i have to do.
                  Cheers.
                  As soon as you became root there is no need to do 'sudo'.
                  Since create-sdcard is a bash script even if there is no executable flag set one can do as a root
                  Code:
                  bash create-sdcard
                  Instead of 'su' I prefer to use 'su -' which also source superuser (root) environment. So steps could be the following:
                  Code:
                  [user@ubuntu]$ su -
                  password:
                  [root@ubuntu]$ bash create-sdcard
                  Your current working directory has to be where the required files are located (/media/ubuntu/0403-0201/make-rkm-mk802iv in your case).

Comment

SD Card booting without flashing your device

Originally posted by knawnd View Post
                    Code:
                    bash create-sdcard
                    Thanks a lot ! It's working !
                    For root i do 'sudo -i' cause i'm on a live usb.
                    I'll try to boot on the card after the football game^^. but i'm not sure it will work properly cuz my unit is a 3188t...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Comment

I quickly tried and it's booting ! I'm on the unity desktop right now
                      Little issue, the launch bar on the left is partially masked. I guess i have to set manually custom display settings ?

Comment

Another failure for me

I quickly tried and it's booting ! I'm on the unity desktop right now
                        Little issue, the launch bar on the left is partially masked. I guess i have to set manually custom display settings ?
                        I tried this again as well, and once again I failed to get anything. It is just a black screen and nothing. Remove the sd card and it will boot into android. This 3188T sure is making life a little bit of hell for some of us

Comment

Originally posted by sudros View Post
                          I tried this again as well, and once again I failed to get anything. It is just a black screen and nothing. Remove the sd card and it will boot into android. This 3188T sure is making life a little bit of hell for some of us
                          Mine is this one from geekbuying
                          China-1 Stock | Buy MK809III QC802 RK3188T ARM Cortex-A9 Quad Core Google Android 4.2 Mini PC TV Box 2G/8G Bluetooth XBMC Black online at unbeatable prices. ✓Free Shipping ✓Limited Time Sale ✓Local Warehouses.

I paid 30€ for it last week as a special deal. The wifi module is the broadcom AP6210.

Comment

Mine is this one from geekbuying
                            China-1 Stock | Buy MK809III QC802 RK3188T ARM Cortex-A9 Quad Core Google Android 4.2 Mini PC TV Box 2G/8G Bluetooth XBMC Black online at unbeatable prices. ✓Free Shipping ✓Limited Time Sale ✓Local Warehouses.

I paid 30€ for it last week as a special deal. The wifi module is the broadcom AP6210.
                            I figured that everything else would be the same except for the wifi but when I power up, screen is black and monitor goes into standby. I have tried so many different ways to do this and met with failure every time. Getting discouraged.

I looked yours up and it comes with the same equip mine did and android and everything looks identical. Just can not seem to get this to work for me at all. I must be missing something.

Comment

I've got another Linux test kernel working for the MK802IV but it hasn't been tested on the 3188T CPU ...
                              the kernel image is https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B99...0lmdjNCVDFFckU ...
                              do you want to try it?
                              Excellent! working perfectly now with the new kernel (MK802IV). Wifi is working too. Thank you very much. The status bar (horizontal) is not showing, I think something to do with my samsung TV, but I can get this fixed, since I have access. Thank you again, great work.

Comment

For users having issues on screen resolution (Samsung Smart TVs) missing about 5% around the edges. Here is solution: Using the remote: Press Source Key, move to the hdmi port you're using, then press Tools Key, Edit name, select DVI PC, done. All credits to (http://www.storageforum.net/forum/sh...quot-tv-solved)

Comment

Working...
                                X