SD Card booting without flashing your device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thafath View Post
    For users having issues on screen resolution (Samsung Smart TVs) missing about 5% around the edges. Here is solution: Using the remote: Press Source Key, move to the hdmi port you're using, then press Tools Key, Edit name, select DVI PC, done. All credits to (http://www.storageforum.net/forum/sh...quot-tv-solved)
    You can also change the display scale in linux.
    A forum member, wrote a Script for this.

Comment

Originally posted by sudros View Post
      I figured that everything else would be the same except for the wifi but when I power up, screen is black and monitor goes into standby. I have tried so many different ways to do this and met with failure every time. Getting discouraged.

I looked yours up and it comes with the same equip mine did and android and everything looks identical. Just can not seem to get this to work for me at all. I must be missing something.
      did create-sdcard show any error messages during its execution? To debug one can remove all '> /dev/null > 2&1' entries in the script and see where it fails. Make sure that MBR copied properly, i.e. no error during 'dd if=MBR ...' and 'dd ...of=MBR' execution. It's also usefull to check if your sdcard has valid partition table after create-sdcard script execution.

Comment

After playing a few hours with it, i can say it works pretty well with my device.
        Thanks a lot linuxium for your work !!

However, i tried to play with the resolution cause cuz i cant play well full screen videos (not hd) with the default 1920 x 1080.
        I know at the moment there's no video acceleration avalaible for the Mali400 GPU but maybe at a lower resolution, things will be smoother.
        So i ran 'xrandr' and the output is :
        Code:
        xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
        Screen 0: minimum 1920 x 1080, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 1920 x 1080
        default connected 1920x1080+0+0 0mm x 0mm
           1920x1080      60.0*
        So, the question is, there is a way to setup a lower resolution or is it "locked" in the kernel ?

Comment

Originally posted by knawnd View Post
          did create-sdcard show any error messages during its execution? To debug one can remove all '> /dev/null > 2&1' entries in the script and see where it fails. Make sure that MBR copied properly, i.e. no error during 'dd if=MBR ...' and 'dd ...of=MBR' execution. It's also usefull to check if your sdcard has valid partition table after create-sdcard script execution.
          I sat through the creation and it never gave any error messages. When it ended, it just went back to the blinking cursor and that was it. Was it suppose to give a message saying it was complete or anything? Once it was done, I plugged it in and nothing. Will not boot. Will try what you said above and watch carefully.

Comment

SD Card booting without flashing your device

Originally posted by sudros View Post
            I sat through the creation and it never gave any error messages. When it ended, it just went back to the blinking cursor and that was it. Was it suppose to give a message saying it was complete or anything? Once it was done, I plugged it in and nothing. Will not boot. Will try what you said above and watch carefully.
            Can you see files and folders on your sdcard ?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AudioBubble View Post
              Can you see files and folders on your sdcard ?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
              I can. Looks like a regular install of linux to me.

Comment

As with all threads the current status gets confusing. Therefore to clarify:

WHO DEVICE STATUS
                marcelv T428 Unknown
                Boocy Unknown Unknown
                no_spam_for_me Unknown Unknown
                knawnd Minix Neo x7 Unknown
                AudioBubble MK809III Working
                thafath MK802IV Working
                sudros MK809III Not working

Apologies if I've made any mistakes in the above info, however if any details are wrong please post an update. Or if there is a current problem please clarify what the status regarding unknown/not working is and also specify the what the current issue is and what the symptoms are so that a solution can be suggested.

Comment

However, i tried to play with the resolution cause cuz i cant play well full screen videos (not hd) with the default 1920 x 1080.
                  I know at the moment there's no video acceleration avalaible for the Mali400 GPU but maybe at a lower resolution, things will be smoother.
                  So i ran 'xrandr' and the output is :
                  Code:
                  xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
                  Screen 0: minimum 1920 x 1080, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 1920 x 1080
                  default connected 1920x1080+0+0 0mm x 0mm
                     1920x1080      60.0*
                  So, the question is, there is a way to setup a lower resolution or is it "locked" in the kernel ?
                  I reply to myself : use a 720p kernel boy, you can find one here :

I also used the xubuntu system and it seems to work pretty well.

Thanks again Linuxium for your great work !

WHO DEVICE STATUS
                  marcelv T428 Unknown
                  Boocy Unknown Unknown
                  no_spam_for_me Unknown Unknown
                  knawnd Minix Neo x7 Unknown
                  AudioBubble MK809III Working
                  thafath MK802IV Working
                  sudros MK809III Not working
                  If that can help my MK809III is also labeled as a QC802 on the geekbuying website.

Cheers.

Comment

Current status:

WHO DEVICE STATUS CONFIRMED
                    marcelv T428 Unknown Pending
                    Boocy Unknown Unknown Pending
                    no_spam_for_me Unknown Unknown Pending
                    knawnd Minix Neo x7 Unknown Pending
                    AudioBubble MK809III/QC802 Working Confirmed
                    thafath MK802IV Working Pending
                    sudros MK809III Not working Pending

Comment

Originally posted by linuxium View Post
                      Current status:

WHO DEVICE STATUS CONFIRMED
                      marcelv T428 Unknown Pending
                      Boocy Unknown Unknown Pending
                      no_spam_for_me Unknown Unknown Pending
                      knawnd Minix Neo x7 Unknown Pending
                      AudioBubble MK809III/QC802 Working Confirmed
                      thafath MK802IV Working Pending
                      sudros MK809III Not working Pending
                      Got it on my 4th try. Two of my 32gig micro sd cards are apparently no good. Had to us an old 8 gig and I got a desktop. It is default 1920x1080 and my monitor is 1280x1024 but it is a desktop. No wifi, but that is because I have the RTL8723bs chip. But this is a huge leap. Now to get a new 32gig micro. Stupid cards read 32gig but apparently they will not take the install correctly.

EDIT: Also, no sound too.
                      Last edited by sudros; 06-26-2014, 17:40. Reason: testing

Comment

Yes, I have Minix Neo x7. Finally I made it work! In my case the problem was related to copying MBR (i.e. 'dd if=/dev/sdb of=MBR ...') and as a consequence restoring it (i.e. dd if=MBR of=/dev/sdb). As far as I remember during 'dd if=/dev/sdb of=MBR ...' I got "Permission denied" despite of being superuser. But repeating separate commands from script one by one in terminal helped me to create sdcard with valid partition table and proper root fs.
                        So thank you very much, Ian!

Comment

Ian,
                          is the 720p kernel i can find here : https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B99O...JJYV8yVXc/edit
                          the same as the last kernel you supply in this thread except display settings ?

Comment

Ian,
                            is the 720p kernel i can find here : https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B99O...JJYV8yVXc/edit
                            the same as the last kernel you supply in this thread except display settings ?
                            No, the kernel in post #33 is based on the very latest source code.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxium View Post
                              No, the kernel in post #33 is based on the very latest source code.
                              Ok. And there is a way to run at a lower resolution ? When i run xrandr i have the output :
                              'xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default'

Comment

Ok. And there is a way to run at a lower resolution ? When i run xrandr i have the output :
                                'xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default'
                                Like this?

Comment

Working...
                                X