• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100% Bloat-Free Ubuntu for MK808

100% Bloat-Free Ubuntu for MK808

Download Here!!!
    Mirror Link

I was using a version of Picuntu based on Ubuntu 12.10 a while back, but when I fired up my MK808 recently, I realized that the Ubuntu 12.10 repositories are no longer maintained, so I followed the excellent instructions posted by sgjava, and created a custom version of Ubuntu 14.04. Since 14.04 is a long-term release, it should be able to run Ubuntu until 2020, giving our now aging device a new lease on life. It uses olegk0's 3.0.36 kernel, which I have included here as part of this package. I also compiled all the mali drivers, so it does have limited hardware acceleration. It can handle SD content just fine, but don't throw any 1080p video at it unless you fancy a slide show. I tried to keep the UI as minimal as possible, using openbox for the "desktop" and including only the slimmest software with a preference for low-resource, but user friendly-terminal-based applications. The whole file system amounts to a very svelte 2.2GB. Wifi should work out of the box, just click connect under settings on the main menu. C'mon, give it a try. Slap it on a class 10 sd card and boot it on up, I think you'll be surprised at how snappy it is.

The terminal apps and there respective commands are as follows:
    • Lynx Web Browser = lynx
    • Poor Man's Spotify = mps
    • Pi Media Player = pimp
    • Pyradio = pyradio
    • Music on Console = mocp

Passwords
    • yuza = yuza
    • root = root

Intructions
    1. Download the package here.
    2. Connect your device to the PC using the OTG port while pressing the reset button.
    3. Run the included AndroidTools, and it should say device found. If not you may need a driver.
    4. Check the box nex to recovery
    5. Click the box on the far right of the same row and navigate to the recovery.img file located in the folder named "oleg0's 3.0.36 kernel."
    6. Click run to flash the kernel.
    7. Use Win32 Disk Imager or dd to write "mini-ubuntu-mk808img" to a 4GB or larger SD card.
    8. Insert the SD card in to your mk808 and boot it up.
    9. Reboot into recovery with a reboot app or by typing "reboot recovery" into the terminal
    10. You will be automatically logged in as user "yuza."
    11. Type startx if you're into GUIs.

One last note, I have noticed that videos play better with the compositor disabled so you may want to type "killall xcompmgr" into a terminal before playing videos. Also, in the /usr/lib directory there is a symobilc link to libMali.so called libEGL.so.1.4, and there is also a backup of the original library called libEGL.so.1.4.bak. I found that the 3D graphics acceleration tests like es2gears only work when the original libEGL.so.1. is available, but wpa_gui only works when the link to libMali.so is active, so you may need to rename these two files according to your needs, or maybe one of you linux gurus out there can find a way out of this conundrum.
    Last edited by hun-chan; 09-13-2014, 05:46.

tryed it but again.. it wont recognise my usb network adapter and i can't try to build from source since some packages are missing getting:
    "/lib/modules/3.0.36+/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
    [default] Error 2

Comment

Originally posted by funch View Post
      tryed it but again.. it wont recognise my usb network adapter and i can't try to build from source since some packages are missing getting:
      "/lib/modules/3.0.36+/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
      [default] Error 2
      Same problem here.

Comment

Man i hope you are still around and can answer this...this works perfect....but i cant figure out how to expand the partition to fill up my sd card. I have a server running but it always crashes due to running out of space.
        Prahjister ****MK808(nonB)****MK808B V5****MK808B Plus****UBOX R89**** CX919****MK808B Pro****Nexbox N9****Eny Em95****Matricon Q2****Tanix TX5 Pro****

Comment

Originally posted by prahjister View Post
          Man i hope you are still around and can answer this...this works perfect....but i cant figure out how to expand the partition to fill up my sd card. I have a server running but it always crashes due to running out of space.
          You should be able to stick the sd card in another linux machine and use gparted to expand the partition to fill the card. If you don't have access to another linux machine you should be able to adapt the instructions here, and do it all on the mk808.

Comment

Originally posted by hun-chan View Post
            You should be able to stick the sd card in another linux machine and use gparted to expand the partition to fill the card. If you don't have access to another linux machine you should be able to adapt the instructions here, and do it all on the mk808.
            Yes thank you. I did figure it out. I was trying to do it with GUI parted but it would lock my machine up. I did it by CLI and it expanded perfectly. I also had to add a swap. Thank you for your hard work
            Prahjister ****MK808(nonB)****MK808B V5****MK808B Plus****UBOX R89**** CX919****MK808B Pro****Nexbox N9****Eny Em95****Matricon Q2****Tanix TX5 Pro****

Comment

Is there anyway to use the NAND instead of an SD card? I really need this, it's what I've been looking for for over a year and a half now.

Comment

Working...
              X