Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Linux][MK808/UG802/MK802 III] PicUntu 0.9 RC 2.2 w/ Finless 1.6 ROM -Dual Boot- Windows Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Linux][MK808/UG802/MK802 III] PicUntu 0.9 RC 2.2 w/ Finless 1.6 ROM -Dual Boot- Windows Guide

How to Install PicUntu 0.9 RC 2.2 without Linux(Windows)

Want Linux? Having hard time installing in Linux?

Here is an Easy-Moderate Windows Guide!

Original Link: http://ubuntu.g8.net/ (Hosted on a UG802!!)

*Note* Before we Start, see post #3 for Specs on RK3066 Devices.

Requirements:
    • MK808/UG802 running Finless's Latest ROM or MK802 III (Other RK3066 devices may work, but no WiFi support.*See Fix Section for MK802 III WiFi Support*)
    • microSD card (4/8GB+)(Class6+ Recommended) or USB key (4/8GB+)
    • Windows PC
    • RKAndroidTool v1.35 (Included in Finless's ROMs)
    • Win32 Disk Imager
    • Some Linux & ROM Flashing(duh!)experience (Not for Beginners)
    Basic things you need:
    • USB hub
    • USB keyboard/mouse
    • HDMI monitor 1080p Capable (Other Resolution not supported?)
    • USB Wifi(Optional) or USB Ethernet.
    File Links:
    *Note* As I ONLY have a MK808, I cannot test any other Device's WiFi capabilities.
    *Mirror Site* In case files don't work below: http://cdn02.arctablet.com/mirrors/picuntu/
    Installation:
    *Note* If you are not using a MK808 or UG802, please follow the UG802 path.(No Internal WiFi support)*MK802 III WiFi works, same chip as UG802*

-Preparing the SD Card/USB Key-
    • Install Win32 Disk Imager
    • Download the MK808 or UG802 Image File
    • Format the SD card using Windows or Panasonic SD Formatter (Google it!)
    • Run Win32 Disk Imager and Write the image file to SD card (This will take a while)
    -Preparing the Android Stick-
    *NOTE* If your going to format/fresh re-flash, you must flash the Android recovery.img 1st and boot up android, run the reboot App and grant Super User access and shut down. Then you can proceed in flashing the Linux Kernel(no erase NAND) to retain dual boot. *If you do not do this, Linux will boot up 1st, and you won't be able to access Android. Unless if that's what you want.*
    • Following Finless's intructions (README),flash the lastest ROM on your Android Device using RKAndroidTools. (Skip this if you already have lastest Finless ROM installed)
    • Reboot to your Rooted Android Device and make sure SuperSU is installed then Shut-Down. (Skip this if your already rooted)
    • Put your device back to Flash Mode and Flash the ug802recovkernel.img (rename to recovery.img) ONLY! (No Data Loss)
    • Device will Reboot Into Android (This is Normal!)
    • Insert your MicroSD card into the slot (With PicUntu Image loaded up)
    • Using the Reboot App: Reboot to Bootloader, if installed correctly, you should see 2 penguins on top and linux booting up.
    • If you are using the UG802 image file, you should prompted directly to xfce4 login screen.
    • If you are using MK808, you will be prompted on the command line. (Will need to Install Pkgs)
    • Type the following credentials either in Login or Command line:
    • user: root password: 12qwaszx

-Setting up WiFi Network in PicUntu-

On the UG802/Other RK3066 based devices:
    • You are pretty much setup, just need to setup the Wi-Fi Network.
    • Run Terminal and type in the following commands:

1. su (password: 12qwaszx)
    2. nano -w /etc/network/interfaces (This is where you add your Network SSID and Password)
    3. Type your Network/Interface(Wlan1) Info here without the (). (Case Sensitive)
    4. Press Ctrl+X to Exit, and Type 'Y' to Save and Press 'Enter' to Save as /etc/network/interfaces & Exit
    5. Reboot Linux and WiFi should connect automaticly!!(check network icon top left to confirm)
    6. *NOTE* If WiFi doesn't connect, try Wlan0 instead of Wlan1 (Confirmation Required)
    7. Congrats, you have succesfully installed PicUntu 0.9 RC 2.2!
    On the MK808:
    • You need to install updates as this is a barebone image, unlike the UG802 which has the full package.
    • Type the following Commands:

1. su (password: 12qwaszx)
    2. nano -w /etc/network/interfaces (This is where you add your Network SSID and Password)
    3. Type your Network/Interface(Eth0) Info here without the (). (Case Sensitive)
    4. Press Ctrl+X to Exit, and Type 'Y' to Save and Press 'Enter' to Save as /etc/network/interfaces & Exit
    5. Reboot Linux and WiFi should connect!! (ifconfig or iwconfig in terminal should confirm)
    6. Next we need to update-install xfce4,etc.
    7. Type in Command: picuntu-da-server.sh --pkg
    8. Follow the on Screen Intructions, and install all packages except for Gnome (Buggy)
    9. You will be prompted to press Enter multiple times
    10. Once you have installed all the packages
    11. You should be back in command prompt: Type Reboot to reboot the device.
    12. Reboot Linux!
    13. Congrats!, you have succesfully installed PicUntu 0.9 RC 2.2!
    -Booting into PicUntu-
    • Boot into Android
    • in Reboot App: Reboot to Bootloader

-Restore & Backup-

-Create SD Backup File

• (CAUTION!)When Inserting SD card to a Windows Machine, it will prompt you to Format the SD card. (DO NOT FORMAT!)
    • Using the Win32 Disk Imager you can create a backup file.
    • Save to : (Image File)
    • Read to Backup (Careful not to press Write, as it will/may corrupt/erase your SD card)
    • *Note* Backup Frequently. In case you corrupt the SD or break something in Linux.

-Restore SD Backup File-

• (CAUTION!)When Inserting SD card to a Windows Machine, it will prompt you to Format the SD card. (DO NOT FORMAT!)
    • Using the Win32 Disk Imager you can restore a backup file.
    • Open Saved : (Image File)
    • Write to Restore
    -Links/Sources- (Without these guides and forum support, I wouldn't have gotten this far)
    Code:
    [URL]http://www.armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1315[/URL][URL="http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/46881-picuntu-09-rc-22-bug-fix-version-arrives/"]
    http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/46881-picuntu-09-rc-22-bug-fix-version-arrives/[/URL]
    [URL]http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/46105-announcing-the-arrival-of-picuntu-09-rc-21/[/URL]
    [URL]http://ubuntu.g8.net/index.php/installation-guide[/URL]
    [URL]http://code.google.com/p/rk3066-linux/[/URL]
    [URL]http://www.freaktab.com/[/URL]
    Special Thanks to:
    Code:
    [B]
    AndrewDB
    aloksinha2001
    [/B][B]almrobert[/B][B]
    andrebalsa
    christophe.le.roux.1
    linuxerwang
    Finless
    2dark4u
    Omegamoon[/B]
    [B]arctablet[/B]
    [B]deadhp1[/B]
    etc... [B](I'm sorry if I forgot you)[/B]
    Source:
    http://ubuntu.g8.net/
    Last edited by vampirex; 01-31-2013, 03:30.
    MK808 - Ubuntu 12.10 home://io (Olegk0 3.0.8 Kernel)

**UPDATES**

Do Not Do's:
    • Force Shutdown/Unplug Power Cable/Take SD out (Will Corrupt the filesystems, causing Linux to hang)
    • Delete Anything unless you know what you are doing
    • Do Not Format the SD card when prompted by Windows when inserting SD card.

Tweaks & Extras:

-Fixes & Workarounds-
    For those using SD cards 4GB+
    • Using these images will create a 4G partition on your SD/USB Card(ex:16GB Class4). The remaining space will be unallocated(11.6GB). You can create a FAT32 partition(11.6GB) using gparted and it will create a Volume/Drive that you can use to store Files. (Use Linux Reader to Browse in Windows)
    • You may also create a swap partition if you wish (your on your own for this one)
    • You may resize the primary partition (need a dedicated Linux vm/machine to resize via gparted)

-Bugs-

• WiFi drops when Inactive/Idle for a while. (Workaround-Terminal root mode: sudo service networking restart) *See Fixes above*
    • Bluetooth Module detected, but Can't search or connect. (No Solution Yet)
    • Others...
    What works !!
    General
    • Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal armhf based.
    • Easy to install and dual-boot (does not erase your Android installation).
    • HDMI 1920x1080 60Hz aka 1080p.
    • XFCE, Gnome desktop.

Hardware
    1. USB Webcam (Logitech 525HD) working - with 'Cheese' . (Not working with VLC.)
    2. HDMI sound working...nicely.
    3. Ethernet dongle working.
    4. USB hubs, new one works (1:7 1:4). (Some old usb hubs did not work - no logical explanation, even for friends, when they changed the hub - most of their problems went away). These same hubs work very well, if connected AFTER proper boot.
    5. External HDD on USB (2.0) works - tested for upto 2TB
    6. USB Sound Audio - Works - both for mic and speaker. ($2 worth - quantum (any i guess) brand
    7. SMB is working - post installation of 'cifs-utils'
    8. gimp/ufraw working cool...
    9. moved the log, tmp, run, to RAM - Works
    10. P2P client Transmission works - speeds upto 3mbps (my isp limit).
    11. Swap is not there in the original scheme of things, but works, if configured.
    12. Apache2, php5, mysql, phpmyadmin, sendmail - work.
    13. Video player works - Totem movie player works - HD video stutters and takes CPU to 90% utilisation levels... but normal avi works nice.
    14. Gnome desktop and other g-apps working.
    15. Others...

What dosn't works !!
    1. Hardware Video Acceleration does not work (Mali Drivers WIP)
    2. Other Resolutions (Only tested 1920x1080, as there is no option to change Display)
    3. Games (Slow)
    4. Youtube (Slow - Low FPS)
    5. Bluetooth (Bluetooth Dongle Detected, but can't see Devices -Testing Needed-)
    6. Virtualisation (VirtualBox,VMplayer etc)
    7. Others...
    Source:
    Last edited by vampirex; 02-06-2013, 02:04.

Comment

Frequently-Asked-Questions.
      • Does this work on iMito MX1/2 or any other RK3066 based devices? - Should work(Follow UG802 path) but not tested, & no internal WiFi drivers. (Can Try USB WiFi) See Fix Section above for MK802 III WiFi Support!
      • Will a Class 2/4 SD card work? - We recommend Class 6 and above for optimum speeds, but it should work as I am using a Class 4 SD card myself. Class 2 might be too slow... (not tested)
      -Misc Info/Links On Linux In General-
      Info on other RK3066 based devices:
      Internal Wi-Fi Chipset of TV Sticks:

(Cortex-A9) RK3066 Rockchips
      Uhost U2 - RK903 (BCM40183 - Broadcom 4330 Based Chipset) (Bluetooth v3.0)
      MK808B - RK903 (BCM40183 - Broadcom 4330 Based Chipset) (Bluetooth v3.0)
      MK808 - RK901 (BCM40181 - Broadcom 4329 Based Chipset)(Works!)
      MK806 - RK901 (BCM40181 - Broadcom 4329 Based Chipset)
      (Not Tested)
      iMito MX1/MX2 - Mediatek MT5931 (Bluetooth v2.1: Mediatek MT6622)
      UG007 - Mediatek MT5931 (Bluetooth v2.1: Mediatek MT6622)
      UG802 - Realtek RTL8188EUS (Works!)
      Minix Neo G4 - Realtek RTL8188EUS
      (Should Work, not tested)
      Rikomagic MK802 III - Realtek RTL8188EUS
      (Should Work, not tested)
      Rikomagic MK802 IIIS with Bluetooth - Mediatek MT5931 (Bluetooth v2.1: Mediatek MT6622)

Internal Wi-Fi Chipset of TV Box:

(Cortex-A9) RK3066 Rockchips
      Minix Neo X5 - RK903 (BCM40183 - Broadcom 4330 Based Chipset) (Bluetooth v3.0)
      My Issues Reported:
      http://code.google.com/p/rk3066-linu...s/detail?id=42 (WiFi Disconnecting Problem)

Source:
      Last edited by vampirex; 01-31-2013, 02:35.

Comment

I am going to stick this AWESOME thread!

Thanks for doing this.

Bob
        "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
        "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
        "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
        "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
        "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
        "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
        "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
        "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
        "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Reviews:
          Screenshots:

Troubleshoot Guide:

Bugs & Report:
          http://code.google.com/p/rk3066-linux/issues/list

How To Use Linux?:
          Google is your Friend!
          With the topics in this cheat sheet — commands you’ll use daily and useful help pages — you can easily navigate your Linux environment.

Updates:
          *Note* Next Build to be expected end of month(Jan). *Please do not ask for ETAs*

Source:
          Last edited by vampirex; 01-29-2013, 06:53.

Comment

* Using the Reboot App: Reboot to Bootloader

You mean reboot to recovery mode right? Because reboot to bootloader wouldn't work as ubuntu kernel flashed into recovery partition

Comment

Does it work mx1-mx-2 ?
              Ya Rab! Gönlümde olanı hakkımda hayırlı eyle; hakkımda hayırlı olana gönlümü razı eyle.

İnnâ lillahi ve İnnâ İleyhi Raciûn" (... doğrusu biz Allah'a aitiz ve muhakkak O'na döneceğiz!”) - Bakara suresi, 156

Bin sene de okusam ne biliyorsun diye sorsalar bana ?
              " HADDİMİ BİLİRİM " derim...

Comment

Hi, vampirex

2dark4u's MK808 v.3 Kernel is support PicUntu similar ug802recovkernel ?

I saw your signature. And I think it seems to be supported.

Thank.

Comment

Originally posted by muratremix View Post
                  * Using the Reboot App: Reboot to Bootloader

You mean reboot to recovery mode right? Because reboot to bootloader wouldn't work as ubuntu kernel flashed into recovery partition
                  I'm not sure about the Recovery mode, but using 'Reboot to Bootloader' is the one we use to boot up linux. I only followed the intructions that was given me throughout the guides out there.. but feel free to try 'reboot to recovery' and let me know the results?? =P

Originally posted by rfve View Post

Does it work mx1-mx-2 ?
                  I'm not sure, as I only have MK808 to test.
                  It seems that its possible to run on a MX-1/MX-2 dongle, but there's no internal WiFi support.

Originally posted by madcrazy View Post
                  Hi, vampirex

2dark4u's MK808 v.3 Kernel is support PicUntu similar ug802recovkernel ?

I saw your signature. And I think it seems to be supported.

Thank.
                  The 2dark4u's kernel is flashed as kernel.img (used by Android)
                  ug802recovkernel.img is flashed as recovery.img (used by Linux)

ug802recovkernel.img is essential to boot Linux.

Comment

When i downloadet the picuntu image for mk808 winrar says the pack is corroupt. Have downloadet it 4 times but ever the same.

Comment

Originally posted by shooter54 View Post
                      When i downloadet the picuntu image for mk808 winrar says the pack is corroupt. Have downloadet it 4 times but ever the same.
                      Hmm weird.. works fine for me?? Try to save onto another location? use another PC?

I'll try to find a place to host the files somewhere when I get home from work.

Comment

sorry, but after type user and password it wont start linux there`s a new command line.

the next thing is that when i restart the device or plug out and in the power cable it will only boot linux and not android!! i think this is a dual boot mod.
                        Last edited by shooter54; 01-28-2013, 18:05.

Comment

sorry, but after type user and password it wont start linux there`s a new command line.
                          Follow the intructions to upgrade-install packages, as the MK808 image is a barebone setup.
                          XFCE(GUI) is not installed and other features not setup. Did you run : picuntu-da-server.sh?

Read the Intructions for MK808, not the UG802.

Comment

Originally posted by vampirex View Post
                            Follow the intructions to upgrade-install packages, as the MK808 image is a barebone setup.
                            XFCE(GUI) is not installed and other features not setup. Did you run : picuntu-da-server.sh?

Read the Intructions for MK808, not the UG802.
                            seems it should be noticed that there is no alias for that script so the only way to call it is full path:
                            /usr/local/picuntu/picuntu-da-server.sh

Comment

the next thing is that when i restart the device or plug out and in the power cable it will only boot linux and not android!! i think this is a dual boot mod.
                              This happened to me too, I had to re-install Android, and re-flash the recovery.img to get Dual Boot to work.

I'll investigate more once I get home.

Comment

Working...
                              X