Linux for RK3188 based TV boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Edit: This is working on K-R42/CS918/MK888/DX05 devices, if you try it on another device, please report your results ]

Version 1.1.1 some updates in kernel and load process.
    If you have it running with previous version, there is no need to update.

RK Flash tools:

Full installation in internal nand flash
    Debian: http://data.a41z.net/X9fG54/dx05_nand_debian_1.1.1.7z
    Ubuntu: http://data.a41z.net/X9fG54/dx05_nand_ubuntu_1.1.1.7z

Install instruction:
    WARNING ALL DATA ON DEVICE WILL BE LOST - I MEAN ALL OF IT!!!

-extract archive
    -start RKBatchTool
    -connect device to a USB port
    -power on
    -press reset button
    -if this is first time connecting to this PC, install drivers from drivers dir)
    -in RKBatchTool, the little grey box with [1] in it should become green.
    -choose image file
    LAST WARNING - ALL EXISTING DATA ON DEVICE WILL BE LOST IN NEXT STEP!
    -click restore. Install tool will format flash and reboot into linux.

now as it is first time you running your new linux, I strongly recommend doing these steps:
    1. login as root (there is no password)
    2. type "passwd" to set root password
    3. type "adduser" to add new non-root user
    4. make sure, that device is connected to network via LAN
    run: apt-get update
    run: tasksel - choose whatever you want (for example Desktop environment)
    Alternatively - use apt-get to install dselect or aptitude and install whatever packages you want.

To restore Android - download any of custom roms and follow installation procedure.

NOTE about UBUNTU. After loading kernel, at some point some error messages are displayed and it looks like system is frozen. It is not, wait 2-3 minutes and it will continue and work normally. I am not a ubuntu expert, so if someone has idea how to fix this, please post some solution and i will fix it in next release.

Running linux from SD card or USB device

This is for advanced users - kernel and initrd will be installed into internal flash,
    but linux will run from external device

Step 1 - prepare linux
    Get a SD card or USB flash drive, install partition table,
    format one partition with ext4, label it "linuxroot"
    install any debian, ubuntu, picuntu or something else compiled for armhf

Step 2 prepare rk3188 device
    WARNING ALL DATA ON DEVICE WILL BE LOST

-extract archive
    -start RKBatchTool
    -connect device to a USB port
    -power on
    -press reset button
    -if this is first time connecting to this PC, install drivers from drivers dir)
    -in RKBatchTool, the little grey box with [1] in it should become green.
    -choose image file
    LAST WARNING - ALL EXISTING DATA ON DEVICE WILL BE LOST IN NEXT STEP!
    -click restore. Install tool will format flash and reboot into linux.

kernel contains all necessary drivers to start linux, but additional drivers are available in modules.tgz
    To restore Android - download any of custom ROMs and follow installation procedure.

Recovery image:

Just install it to recovery partition and reboot into recovery mode, it will boot from SD/USB with label linuxroot
    Tool suitable for this is RkFlashKit for linux.
    Last edited by mmm123; 09-05-2013, 17:35.

Whai devices and wifi chips are supported?

Comment

I Have DX05, which is identical with K-R42, CS918 and MK888 so these devices are supported, but i guess it will most likely work with all other rk3188 based devices, except eventually with some built-in hardware

For above devices - built-in Wifi (8188E) is supported, also there are modules for all USB Wifi devices supported in 3.0.36 kernel.

Comment

I cannot download the torrent files. It seems the files are not available.

Comment

Strange, but anyway - try these direct links, but i can't guarantee for how long they will be available.
          Last edited by mmm123; 09-05-2013, 00:22.

Comment

linux 3188

Originally posted by mmm123 View Post
            I Have DX05, which is identical with K-R42, CS918 and MK888 so these devices are supported, but i guess it will most likely work with all other rk3188 based devices, except eventually with some built-in hardware

For above devices - built-in Wifi (8188E) is supported, also there are modules for all USB Wifi devices supported in 3.0.36 kernel.
            Hi,
            Is it really necessary to erase all Android data? Picuntu kernel typically uses recovery partition only. I mean at least some users maybe like to have Android functionality maintained. BTW would you by any chance know anything of the new Picuntu 3188 release date? Many thanks a lot for your work!
            Goran

Comment

I don't see rtl8188eu module in the downloaded file (dx05_sd_linux_modules.tgz). Is the wifi module compiled as a built-in module?

Comment

Modules for all built-in hardware components (with some exceptions) are built-in into kernel.
                Additional modules for other USB devices, filesystems, etc. are compiled as modules.

Comment

Originally posted by sevo1984 View Post
                  Hi,
                  Is it really necessary to erase all Android data? Picuntu kernel typically uses recovery partition only. I mean at least some users maybe like to have Android functionality maintained. BTW would you by any chance know anything of the new Picuntu 3188 release date? Many thanks a lot for your work!
                  Goran
                  Actually it is relatively easy to build recovery image. The hard part is to explain how to install and use it.
                  here it is, please if you are successful, write howto and post it here.

[This image was deleted because it was wrong, see bellow for correct one.]

The image boots linux from SD/USB, formated with ext4 and label linuxroot
                  Last edited by mmm123; 09-02-2013, 19:03.

Comment

recovery img

Actually it is relatively easy to build recovery image. The hard part is to explain how to install and use it.
                    here it is, please if you are successful, write howto and post it here.
                    http://data.a41z.net/dZ473a/3188_recovery_1.0.0.img

The image boots linux from SD/USB, formated with ext4 and label linuxroot
                    Thanks for the link!
                    If I understood you well, this image can be flashed to recovery partition and than used to boot linux rfs from micro SD card or USB disk (terminal, su, reboot recovery)? BTW it is relatively small compared to other similar image files I came across which were usually 8mb+.
                    When I tried first works of AndrewDB's and later on Alok's, I would simply use Bob Finless RK tool to flash to recovery and the rest was easy. Recently I've tried linuxium's recovery image in the same way, flashed successfully, but for some reason it wouldn't boot his rfs or indeed any other (got stuck at boot screen, not even 4 tuxes appeared). As I am fairly average user, I realized that this might have to do with the parameters file, the importance of which I don't fully understand (broadly yes, but not how to use it). Am I right on this?
                    Anyway, I will try your recovery img and my SD card root file systems and let you know how it went on (not before Wednesday though most likely, workload from other stuff I am afraid.
                    Finally, I have an mk908 with Mali gpu (none of the sticks you indicated) but am not concerned about wireless support etc at this stage (I mainly use usb lan adapter), so I guess once booted the rest would be manageable at later stages and point proven?
                    Thank you again for sharing your work and best regards, Goran

Comment

Sorry, about recovery image it was wrong - incorrect command line parameters.
                      here is correct one:
                      [link was deleted, see first post in this thread for correct image]

About size - it is small, because I use compressed kernel - it takes around 0.5 sec to self-decompress, but size is much smaller. Also my initrd image doesn't contain shitty animated logos or other useless stuff.
                      Last edited by mmm123; 09-05-2013, 23:34.

Comment

Very nice
                        Thx for shareing.
                        Everything is possible if we work together!
                        ApkFreak

Comment

your recovery image

Modules for all built-in hardware components (with some exceptions) are built-in into kernel.
                          Additional modules for other USB devices, filesystems, etc. are compiled as modules.
                          Unfortunately, it didn't work. Flashed your recovery img 1.0.1 into recovey partition, booted to android, started terminal, su followed by reboot recovery - nothing but a blank screen, followed by rebooting into android!? This never happened with other linux recovery images that I flashed.
                          I basically used Hoaby's flash tool (as I use his 2.2 universal rom for mk908), unchekedd everything and clicked in the right hand corner box to select your recovery img, then checked box for recovery only to the left and flashed. Went on o.k but couldn't boot to any linux rfs i have on sd cards.
                          Again, could it be my lack of understanding of what the parameter file is? I gathered that it basically gives information on the "partition table" used for flashing, that is why I decided to stick to Hoaby's settings and keep the android intact.
                          I would appreciate if somebody who is more familiar with this business comment on this point and explain to us average users how to deal with this issue Many thanks!

Comment

Now you probably understand my point about recovery image.
                            It probably works (i really can't test it as my device is formatted without recovery partition), but recovery image is kernel + initrd put together into single image with a simple tool called mkbootimg.
                            I used same kernel and initrd which work for booting from SD card, so they should work. Still i can't be sure without testing.

Comment

got it

Now you probably understand my point about recovery image.
                              It probably works (i really can't test it as my device is formatted without recovery partition), but recovery image is kernel + initrd put together into single image with a simple tool called mkbootimg.
                              I used same kernel and initrd which work for booting from SD card, so they should work. Still i can't be sure without testing.
                              Yes, I think I got it now, thanks for your prompt reply!

Comment

Working...
                              X