RK3188 and Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RK3188 and Linux

I have been reading a lot of posts in thhis forum and others but as far as i can get is that picuntu in it's version rc2.2 is only available for rk3066 and progress for rk3188 is late.
    I also saw that there some kernels for specific devices.

My question is, i'm about to buy a new rk3188 because i sold my beautifull MK802III with linux inside but i wanna a new toy also capable of linux, is there any light on the end of the tunnel to help me out decide on this.
    I help with 4GD663269M466950W
    And you ????
    --
    My devices:
    Tronsmart T428 real 3188 with Finless A928 and D33 Kernel at 720p
    Tronsmart Prometheus won on CNX just now....

Re: RK3188 and Linux

Originally posted by billgatos View Post
    I have been reading a lot of posts in thhis forum and others but as far as i can get is that picuntu in it's version rc2.2 is only available for rk3066 and progress for rk3188 is late.
    I also saw that there some kernels for specific devices.

My question is, i'm about to buy a new rk3188 because i sold my beautifull MK802III with linux inside but i wanna a new toy also capable of linux, is there any light on the end of the tunnel to help me out decide on this.
    There is certainly light, although it might not be bright enough for some. Linux works on the RK3188 with the exception of h/w graphics acceleration at the moment. Additionally wifi and bt are not universally working across all manufacturer's versions of RK3188 sticks and boxes - this is primarily because of the variation in chips being used.

Finally, as the 3188 is the latest RK chip, development is still underway. So Linux on the RK3188 is not as mature as that on the RK3066.

If you want to take Linux out for a spin on RK3188 and you are willing to test a development release, then try flashing this kernel https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B99O...it?usp=sharing into the recovery partition and create an SD card labelled as linuxroot with an ext4 primary partition with the contents of this gzipped cpio file https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B99O...it?usp=sharing.

Comment

Linuxium,

I have tested your kernel using a different rootfs, and when I reboot recovery my device just displays a blank screen, NO SIGNAL then the display goes to sleep.

My assumption is your kernel does not have support for the LCDC0 that the MK908 uses for its display port. Do you have a kernel that would work on the MK908 or any suggestions how to compile one that would?

Thanks, (I'm downloading your rootfs now)
      Buy me a beer with
      DogeCoin: D6EeoEKcZJL234UhVFRV8Uy6HnfNurBS2y
      or
      BitCoin 17iQsUv7RoWVmDynfBS9qF88NxT4ETvhUn

Comment

Originally posted by tyeo098 View Post
        Linuxium,

I have tested your kernel using a different rootfs, and when I reboot recovery my device just displays a blank screen, NO SIGNAL then the display goes to sleep.

My assumption is your kernel does not have support for the LCDC0 that the MK908 uses for its display port. Do you have a kernel that would work on the MK908 or any suggestions how to compile one that would?

Thanks, (I'm downloading your rootfs now)
        Unfortunately as I don't own a MK908 I don't want to release anything untested. My latest posting http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...K802IV-or-T428 includes rootfs for Ubuntu, Lubuntu and Xubuntu if that helps, together with a pointer to Omegamoon for his MK908 sources.

Comment

Working...
        X