Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also available Debian

see https://plus.google.com/109451178006...ts/V5emJx3Xmt4

Using your proper multiboot solution and debian rfs image, when I boot into debian, gdm never loads. I only have the clock cursor on a black screen. When I switch to a shell login, I can login with the built in linuxium account, but then can't "su" or sudo to work on the system. Is the root pw set? I'm stuck because I can only do a limited number of things with the linuxium account from the shell.
    T428

Comment

Originally posted by mustanley View Post
      Using your proper multiboot solution and debian rfs image, when I boot into debian, gdm never loads. I only have the clock cursor on a black screen. When I switch to a shell login, I can login with the built in linuxium account, but then can't "su" or sudo to work on the system. Is the root pw set? I'm stuck because I can only do a limited number of things with the linuxium account from the shell.
      I can't replicate such a problem - have you tried re-downloading the 7z file and starting from fresh?

Comment

Yes this is the second time I have formatted the card and created the ext4 partition and copied the entire rfs from a fresh download. I successfully installed the same rfs to NAND and it ran wonderfully. In the first attempt, I used the T428 with Debian running from NAND to prepare the sd-card. The second time I used a Debian VM to prepare it from my windows PC.
        I honestly don't even need Gnome as I will eventually run this headless. I may still use a some other lightweight window manager like ratpoison.
        T428

Comment

Debian/Ubuntu on UG007ii

Hi,

I would like to buy my first stick PC and run Debian/Gnome (if not - Ubuntu, and if not - Picuntu) on it. After a lot of looking around I settled for UG007ii. I'm total newbie right now - so my question is - is it possible to install Debian/Gnome on that device? If yes - where can I find detailed step-by-step instruction on how to do it.

Hope to join you guys soon

Thank you very much!

Comment

Originally posted by smn View Post
            Hi,

I would like to buy my first stick PC and run Debian/Gnome (if not - Ubuntu, and if not - Picuntu) on it. After a lot of looking around I settled for UG007ii. I'm total newbie right now - so my question is - is it possible to install Debian/Gnome on that device? If yes - where can I find detailed step-by-step instruction on how to do it.

Hope to join you guys soon

Thank you very much!
            If you want to run Linux on an ARM device, you should either look for one that is currently supported otherwise you'll end up compiling your own kernel, modules including drivers or anything else required to get it to work. Key concerns are CPU, GPU and chipsets for wifi and bluetooth impacting graphic support and networking, Then there are device drivers and file system support down to more lower granular levels like the GPIO pins and their voltages.

As a total newbie, if you have only chosen the UG007ii, before purchasing make sure you find a published Linux kernel for that device, and better still that it is currently being supported by a number of developers.

For example, the MK802IV is well supported as Rikomagic released the Linux kernel source code. However if you took a Linux kernel build for the new MK802IV and installed it on an old MK802IV then wifi wouldn't work as the wifi chip is different.

Also the level of documentation varies between devices. And whilst conceptually they are all very similar (same same even) there might be a key point ommitted which will catch the newbie out.

So for the easiest journey, find the documentation about what you want to do, find the software that works with the documentation, and then buy the device that the software has been written for.

This recommendation is not intended to put you off. There are many forums and a wide community from expert to n00b who are often willing to help (or mislead) with specific issues. I just don't want you to waste your money if you are buying an XYZ to run ABC and you want to install 123 ... if 123 doesn't work because it relies on a hardware feature that isn't supported and nobody has ported 123 to ABC and everyone has failed to get ABC to work on the XYZ.

Comment

What would you say about MK802III? Are you aware of any tutorials showing how to instal Debian? What device were you refering to originally in this post? MK802IV - can it run DEbian? Can it run Gnome with Gnome Shell?

Comment

With some work I have Debian working on Tronsmart T428 with Gnome. I used the RFS Linuxium created here https://plus.google.com/109451178006...ts/V5emJx3Xmt4. It runs very well from NAND but I am running the multiboot version that Linuxium also designed so that I can alternate between Android, Debian and Picuntu. Are you interested in using Android and Linux?
                T428

Comment

After more research I decided to follow your advice and buy MK802IV LE. How do I install debian on it (as sole OS)? Will gnome work with graphic acceleration? (I heard there might be problems with it).

Comment

Installing Debian on MK802IV without a Windows PC

Hi All,
                    I finally got my MK802IV - my first mini PC. Could somebody, please, post a link to a tutorial on how to Install Debian on this device without a need for a Windows PC?

Thank you in advance.

ps: Just downloaded linuxium-debian7-wheezy-desktop-rfs.img ...

Comment

It took me a while to understand that this thread relates to this one: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...K802IV-or-T428

and that linuxium-debian7-wheezy-desktop-rfs.img linked to above is just another system image that can be installed as those mentioned in that thread.

Writing it for newbies like me...

Comment

Working...
                      X