Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picuntu 4.5 on MK808 & MK808b - SUCCESS!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conred,

Thanks again. The installation of the dmz-cursor-theme took care of the cursor issue. I also installed libegl1-mesa-drivers and am up and running. I don't know about the system hangs but may go back and use your previous post. Wow, it's been a journey. I appreciate all the help. I'll play with this and write up a tutorial for everyone else who may want to do a 3.0.36 kernel PicUntu 4.5 build.

Comment

Well I have succeeded in installing Picuntu 4.5 on my MK808b. One caveat, I don't have wi-fi working but I'm using a usb ethernet adaptor. I'll detail my steps here. **You will need a Linux box, unless someone knows how to unpackage the system.img file on Windows and/or can host the unpackaged files. I was unable to mount the .img file in PowerISO on my Windows 8 machine. I also want to thank conred for his help as well as mmm123 and Galland for all the additional files and writeups.

I'll detail this in two stages. First stage is installing the firmware on your MK808 the second is setting up your USB/SD card with the Picuntu software.

Things you will need:
      1) A MK808 or MK808b device
      2) An SD card or USB stick 2G or greater
      3) Finless Bob's 1.7 ROM
      4) Picuntu 4.5 easy installer
      5) MK808 3.0.36 Kernel and mod+firmware from here http://hwswbits.blogspot.nl/2013/05/...r-picuntu.html
      (** FYI - I never got the 720P kernel to work only the 1080P)
      6) You will also need to follow the directions from Galland on enabling the 3D drivers after install here http://hwswbits.blogspot.com/2013/04...ntu-linux.html . I ended up downloading all the files he has build (xorg.conf, rk30fb_drv.so, and the mali-package) so that I could add them to my SD card while I was building the system.
      7) A linux system

First - Installing firmware on the MK808/b
      1) Download and install Finless Bob's 1.7 Rom to start with a clean slate. Don't forget to Erase NAND and install all checked boxes.

2) Boot TV stick and go to his reboot app and reboot to recovery.

3) Put MK808 into flash mode and uncheck everything except recovery. Select Galland's 3.0.36 kernel (720 or 1080) (again I only got 1080 to work) and flash to recovery img.

4) Test by booting up. You should see linux start scrolling on the screen and will end when it can't find the Picuntu software

Second - Prepare the USB/SD card
      1) I used linux and Gparted to create a partition labeled "linuxroot" . I also selected formating to EXT4 and market a flag for the "boot" partition option.

2) Download the Picuntu 4.5 software and extract to a folder.

3) You can delete everything except for the system.img file in the flash rom folder

4) You need to mount or extract the files from the system.img folder. I used Furius ISO (on linux) to mount the system.img file and extract the files to a folder on my PC. (I tried to use PowerISO on my Win8 machine but it didn't recognize the file)

5) In the system.img (i'll call this the Picuntu file system) extracted folder you will now have a bunch of folders. Rename or delete the folders /lib/modules/3.0.36 and /lib/firmware .
      5.b) Copy this folder to your USB or SD card with a cp -a command. The folders should be in the root of your storage device.

6) Download the mods+firmware from Galland here http://hwswbits.blogspot.nl/2013/05/...r-picuntu.html

7) Extract the files/folders (/lib folder) and place it on your Picuntu MicroSD's root folder (/)

8) Make sure they have all the same user and group owner. (should be root:root) when I copied the mods+firware file they took on other user and group ownership which messed me up. (I use cp -a for almost everything to make sure the permissions are kept)

9) Follow these direction from Galland thru #5. Stop before #6. (I'm going to list them below just so we have everything documented in one place.
      I have ported olegk0's kernel ( https://github.com/olegk0/rk3066-kernel ) updates and Mali driver to Picuntu on my Picuntu kernel branch (...

10) Copy xorg.conf (from above) and place it on your Picuntu MicroSD's folder /etc/X11/

11) Copy rk30fb_drv.so (or compile it yourself) and place it on your Picuntu MicroSD's folder /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/

12) Modify /etc/rc.local by commenting (precede with #) existing lines that use "fbset" and adding the following new lines: (**FYI I didn't have a fbset line so I added the below before the "if" scrip start)

fbset -rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,8/24 -a
      chmod 666 /dev/mali /dev/ump

13) Modify /etc/modules to add the following lines:
      rk29-ipp
      ump

disp_ump
      mali
      drm
      mali_drm

14)
      Get the mali package, uncompress and you will need ONLY this file: mali400_2.1-13_armhf.deb
      Place it on your Picuntu MicroSD's root folder (/) - This will be used and installed after we boot linux on the stick (This is the end of step #5 from Galland. Don't run step #6 untill you have installed the mesa drivers, detailed below)

15) Plug SD or USB stick into MK808 and start booting. If everything has the correct permissions you should boot and it will try the graphics drivers but will fail and fall back to cmd line.

16) log in using user: picuntu pass: 12qwaszx

17) To install Mali Driver package run:
      sudo dpkg -i mali400_2.1-13_armhf.deb

18) To install Mesa Drivers run: (You need to do this before Galland's step #6 or you won't have the directories installed.
      sudo apt-get install libegl1-mesa-drivers

19) Now you can run Galland's step #6:
      Run the following commands:

sudo mv /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/mesa-egl/ /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/.mesa-egl/
      sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libMali.so /usr/lib/libEGL.so
      sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libMali.so /usr/lib/libEGL.so.1.4
      sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libMali.so /usr/lib/libGLESv1_CM.so
      sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libMali.so /usr/lib/libGLESv1_CM.so.1.1
      sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libMali.so /usr/lib/libGLESv2.so
      sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libMali.so /usr/lib/libGLESv2.so.2.0

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
      Then if you enter: ll /usr/lib | grep libMali

The output should look something like this:
      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 abr 16 17:58 libEGL.so -> /usr/lib/libMali.so
      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 feb 22 02:06 libEGL.so.1.4 -> libMali.so
      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 abr 16 17:58 libGLESv1_CM.so -> /usr/lib/libMali.so
      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 feb 22 02:06 libGLESv1_CM.so.1.1 -> libMali.so
      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 abr 16 17:58 libGLESv2.so -> /usr/lib/libMali.so
      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 feb 22 02:06 libGLESv2.so.2.0 -> libMali.so
      -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 731492 feb 22 02:06 libMali.so

20) I didn't have a visible cursor arrow when I booted into the GUI so go ahead and install
      sudo apt-get install dmz-curser-theme

20) To help lockups you may want to set your cpu freq so you can install this:
      sudo apt-get install cpufrequtils
      - run sudo cpufreq-set -u 1512000

That should do it. Reboot and enjoy. I'm no expert so I'm not sure if I'll be able to help but I have been able to repeat this 3 times, due to wanting to use different USB and SD options. Good luck.

Comment

on nand?

Hi Hizzle,
        Isn't possible compile the kernel with the nand driver and point on nand? Using the kernel of linuxium (https://github.com/linuxium/3066-NAND -> 3.0.8-linuxium-kernel.img-ubuntu-nand) and flash the device changing the loader and kernel the system boot on picuntu on nand but with several problem because the version of system and kernel are different (3.0.8 vs 3.0.36).
        what you think about?
        Sorry for my bad english and thank you for sharing your work!

Comment

narcois, you are beyond the realm of my knowledge. Sorry

Comment

hey conred, I have let the mk808b run to test stability but it locked up after about 24 hrs. Have you conducted any long term stability runs? Where should I look for a log to see what may have locked it up?

Thanks again.

Comment

Can't extract system.img

Hi guys.
              Reading this thread, I finally succeeded flashing linux kernel on my MK808B. Thanks for that.
              The problem is, I can't mount system.img (not under linux nor windows) so I can't proceed with the installation. Can someone please tell me what's the crc32 or md5 hash of system.img? Maybe the file I have is corrupted (As my internet connection is really slow, I don't want to check this by downloading picuntu again!)
              Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by nima View Post
                Hi guys.
                Reading this thread, I finally succeeded flashing linux kernel on my MK808B. Thanks for that.
                The problem is, I can't mount system.img (not under linux nor windows) so I can't proceed with the installation. Can someone please tell me what's the crc32 or md5 hash of system.img? Maybe the file I have is corrupted (As my internet connection is really slow, I don't want to check this by downloading picuntu again!)
                Thanks in advance
                have u tried isobuster?
                ISOBuster is the Ultimate CD/DVD/Blu-ray data recovery tool. Extract data from your unreadable CDR/Ws/DVDR/BD/Ws and BD/CD/DVD image formats(.iso, .bin/cue, .nrg...).

Comment

Originally posted by sparkyar View Post
                  Thanks. I'm downloading it right now.
                  I just used FuriusISOMount and also tried to mount the image using mount -o loop but no one worked.
                  I'll try your suggestion and post the results. Really need to extract this image

Comment

IsoBuster does not recognize file system

Originally posted by sparkyar View Post
                    IsoBuster is not able to recognize the file system. It just tries to use its recovery abilities to find files in the .img file, and the result is a list of files which have wrong names. But at least this means it's possible to extract this image

Comment

Thanks. I'm downloading it right now.
                      I just used FuriusISOMount and also tried to mount the image using mount -o loop but no one worked.
                      I'll try your suggestion and post the results. Really need to extract this image
                      Here is an example how to mount the image with linux.
                      Code:
                      sudo mkdir /mnt/picu-rfs
                      sudo mount -t ext4 /home/picuntu/system.img /mnt/picu-rfs
                      Then mount the sd-card and copy the content.
                      Example:
                      Code:
                      sudo cp -a /mnt/picu-rfs/* /media/SD-CARD

Comment

Originally posted by hizzle View Post
                        hey conred, I have let the mk808b run to test stability but it locked up after about 24 hrs. Have you conducted any long term stability runs? Where should I look for a log to see what may have locked it up?

Thanks again.
                        Hi hizzle, my mk808b freezes after some minutes, tried to debug it a few months ago but hadn't much luck.

Comment

Originally posted by conred View Post
                          Here is an example how to mount the image with linux.
                          Code:
                          sudo mkdir /mnt/picu-rfs
                          sudo mount -t ext4 /home/picuntu/system.img /mnt/picu-rfs
                          Then mount the sd-card and copy the content.
                          Example:
                          Code:
                          sudo cp -a /mnt/picu-rfs/* /media/SD-CARD
                          Thanks. I was trying to mount it as ext3.
                          Too bad I've already bricked the device by flashing the system.img directly to system space

Comment

Thanks. I was trying to mount it as ext3.
                            Too bad I've already bricked the device by flashing the system.img directly to system space
                            It's not bricked, just flash a fresh rom with RK-FLashtool.

Download Finless Rom and start rk-flashtool. Then hold down the recovery button with a paperclip, connect the OTG port to your PC and release the button.
                            Before you flash the rom wipe the mk808(b) by clicking Erase IDB.

Comment

Hey conred and nima,

I've been running oledkO's kernel from here:

and it has been up for the last 3+ days. You may want to try it out. I used the 3.0.36 - recovery.img.

Flash the recovery.img to the recovery of your MK808b like conred stated in the previous post.

Comment

Originally posted by conred View Post
                                It's not bricked, just flash a fresh rom with RK-FLashtool.

Download Finless Rom and start rk-flashtool. Then hold down the recovery button with a paperclip, connect the OTG port to your PC and release the button.
                                Before you flash the rom wipe the mk808(b) by clicking Erase IDB.
                                I erased IDB and flashed Finless ROM several times. I had no problem entering loader mode, and no errors occurred while flashing, but after flashing I only got a black screen, and the blue light was on. I thought I bricked the device.
                                Some people on this forum said they succeeded booting the device by using another computer to flash Finless ROM. Sounds weird, but worked for me too.
                                I tested on four computers, first one with windows 8.1, another one with Ubuntu and rkflashtool, another one with windows 7, and finally another one, again with windows 7. I was able to flash Finless ROM without any problems on all of these computers, but only one of them helped me boot my device successfully.
                                The last two ones had same version of windows 7, and I used same driver that comes with Finless ROM 2.1 on both computers.
                                Same version of windows, same ROM, same flash tool,same driver, same settings, same cables...same everything, but different results! Really can't understand that!

Comment

Working...
                                X