Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picuntu 4.5 on MK808 & MK808b - SUCCESS!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hizzle View Post
    Hey conred and nima,

I've been running oledkO's kernel from here:

and it has been up for the last 3+ days. You may want to try it out. I used the 3.0.36 - recovery.img.

Flash the recovery.img to the recovery of your MK808b like conred stated in the previous post.
    Thank you. I couldn't manage to run Linux on this device yet. I flashed kernel (from your first post) into recovery space and partitioned my SD card, extracted system.img on it and booted into linux. But nothing happens. I only get a black screen (after seeing lots of messages while kernel is loading) but no command prompt. So I'm stuck at step #15 of your instructions.
    However when I press alt+ctrl+f1+del the system sends kill signal an restarts (and that's when some messages appear instead of just a black screen), which I think means the kernel is successfully loaded. So there must be a problem with my SD card and rootfs.
    I partitioned my 8GB SD into two partitions, one 4GB ext4 and the rest as a FAT partition. The ext4 partition is labeled "linuxroot" and flagged as boot. I checked file permissions and they were correct.
    I don't know what else to do. Really need to run Linux on this device

Comment

Originally posted by conred View Post
      The linux kernel boots but it doesn't find a rootfilesystem. You need an ext4 rfs labeled "linuxroot" on sd-card or usb-drive.

In case of picuntu 4.5 the rfs is in the system.img file. You need to mount it and copy the content to sd-card.

Don't forget to copy also the kernel modules + firmware to linuxroot. And as this release is intended to run on internal flash, aloksinha put a script to /etc/rc.local to resize the filesystem. Disable it by removing /first_boot file.
      Is there a way I can flash Picuntu into internal flash?

Comment

Re: Picuntu 4.5 on MK808 & MK808b - SUCCESS!!

Originally posted by nima View Post
        Thank you. I couldn't manage to run Linux on this device yet. I flashed kernel (from your first post) into ...... The ext4 partition is labeled "linuxroot" and flagged as boot. I checked file permissions and they were correct.
        I don't know what else to do. Really need to run Linux on this device
        Hi can you try without making it as boot partition?

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by itguru View Post
          Hi can you try without making it as boot partition?

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk
          Thanks
          I'll try this and report resutls

Comment

Sv: Picuntu 4.5 on MK808 & MK808b - SUCCESS!!

Can anyone check if swedish svtplay works in crome

Skickat från min GT-I8730 via Tapatalk 2

Comment

Nima, did you make sure to delete and copy over the mod+firmware files. It sounds like that may be the step because it's what tells the SW what to run to boot. It sounds like you have the kernel flashed correctly. I'd also check the two Mod+firmware directories permissions.

Comment

One more comment about the above Olegk0 kernel. It ran for 6+ days but I noticed that the USB ethernet connector drivers didn't enable my USB ethernet connector. The other kernels in the original post enabled the USB ethernet connector. I don't know why the drivers would be any different.

Comment

Sounds like olegk0 compiled the kernel without the driver modules for your ethernet adapter.
                  Post output of 'lsusb' and of 'dmesg' after reconnecting the usb ethernet device.
                  You could try to use the modules from galland's 3.0.36 kernel.

Olegk0's kernel 3.0.8 was running at 1.51 Ghz on my (original / geekbuying / rk903) mk808b, no scaling but very stable. That brought me to set maximum clock to 1.5 Ghz on galland's kernel, which also works stable inclusive frequency scaling.

Comment

Originally posted by conred View Post
                    Sounds like olegk0 compiled the kernel without the driver modules for your ethernet adapter.
                    Post output of 'lsusb' and of 'dmesg' after reconnecting the usb ethernet device.
                    You could try to use the modules from galland's 3.0.36 kernel.

Olegk0's kernel 3.0.8 was running at 1.51 Ghz on my (original / geekbuying / rk903) mk808b, no scaling but very stable. That brought me to set maximum clock to 1.5 Ghz on galland's kernel, which also works stable inclusive frequency scaling.
                    I've tried a few different kernels and most work with my USB network adaptor. It's a Belkin. I was using Galland's 3.0.36 kernel (posted in my initial install write-up) but it had only been stable for a few hrs. When I used Olegk0's kernel it was stable for days. I thought you said that you didn't have good experiance with stability on Galland's 3.0.36 kernel? I have gone back and reflashed using that kernel and the USB adaptor is working again. I'll leave it up over night but have a feeling that it'll freeze again. I have also limited the clock setting to 1.5 Ghz.

Comment

Originally posted by hizzle View Post
                      I thought you said that you didn't have good experiance with stability on Galland's 3.0.36 kernel?
                      At the default maximum of 1.6 Ghz. If set to 1.5 Ghz it runs as stable as olegk0's kernel which is hardcoded to a maximum of 1.5 Ghz.

Comment

Wifi

- i have Mk808b with mediateck MT5931 wifi, i success enable internal wifi in picuntu 4.5 with this fix :

- Internal wifi scan and connect ok but it disconnects immediatly after 0.5sec
                        - i try an usb wifi ZD1211, it also scan ok but can not connect due to Autho problem
                        - i try an usb ethernet and it works perfect
                        Please anyone tell me how to fix this wifi (internal or external) problem
                        Best regard!

Comment

Hey Conred, I thought I had set the CPU Max Rate earlier using the kernel in the first post but I must not have. I made sure I did this time around and it's been running stable for 3+ days now. Thanks again.

Comment

Sorry thanhtrat1ltv I can't help with wifi kernel mods.

Comment

Anyone tried oleg0's new MK808 kernel with HDMI resolution scaling and 50fps in XBMC?
                              http://translate.google.com/translat...28%26st%3D2560 post 3501

Anyone tried these methods to get wifi(RK903) working on MK808B?
                              MK808B kernel with wifi https://www.miniand.com/forums/forum...768-resolution

Other info to get wifi working - http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...light=903+wifi

Comment

Just an idea

I have a few questions.

1 - is it possible to get rid of android and install picuntu on the internal flash storage?
                                I'm not an expert. I know Galland kinda explains that here

2 - Could you please make an image of your SD running picuntu so we don't have to follow all those steps each time we want to install picuntu? I'm not trying to encourage laziness. I feel it's more practical this way. Just to burn the iso on our SD to be ready to go.

I'll probably follow the tutorial tomorrow and comment my feedback then. I own an original MK808b
                                Keep up the good work.

Comment

Working...
                                X