Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picuntu 4.5 on MK808 & MK808b - SUCCESS!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking stable operation

Originally posted by hizzle View Post
    Hey Conred, I thought I had set the CPU Max Rate earlier using the kernel in the first post but I must not have. I made sure I did this time around and it's been running stable for 3+ days now. Thanks again.
    The specified operation temperature range for RK3066 chip is -40C ~ +85C. Lamentably, the "interactive" cpufreq governor seems to make no attempt to prevent temperature rise beyond +85C. So, if you are allowing cpufreq as high as 1512 MHz and have not fitted extra heat sinking provisions, there is a significant risk that any sustained CPU load can send your chip temperature soaring well past +85C. Even with max cpufreq limited to 816 MHz, a sustained CPU load can cause chip temperatures > 90C.

For monitoring chip temperature you can execute the following command:
    cat /sys/module/tsadc/parameters/temp*

If you want to do some simple tests of the chip temperature response to CPU load, run top and use the d command to specify a delay interval of 0.

Comment

Allright... I did the guide... That took one LLLLOOOONNNGGG time. And here is what happens, when I run startx I get an ABI mismatch moduel 12 server ver 13. I'm trying some stuff out on my own and created a backup so If I F* up I have something to go back to. How do I fix it?

Also.. I have a request for the guy who made this. I want you to create a .tar backup of linuxroot after you get it to the GUI and before you make any changes to user accounts and passwords, ect. I will give you the backup commands and location to place them if you need them.

Then I want you to provide a dropbox link to the tar file for me. (and everyone). What this means...
      load the kernel and finless to device... to put it into the boot to sd mode.
      Format SD card and create any size ext4 label linuxroot (aslong as it is 4gigs or greater) part. Then mount it.
      Open terminal, CD /media/ , then run the tar restore command at that location.
      Now I will not have to follow any of this guide steps other then that if you could do this please!

I'm going to go ahead and list the commands and location to save time...
      with the SD card inserted and mounted move to mount point SO /media/linuxroot
      do a cd .. So your at /media and run the command as root
      tar -cvvf linuxroot.tar linuxroot/
      THIS WILL CREATE THE TAR FILE WE ALL NEED, please upload the tar file to a dropbox or something or contact me and we can setup a direct ftp me the file if thats allright.
      then I will insert a sdcard with an ext4 part 4gigs or larger (size dosnt matter) with label linuxroot and then navigate to /media and run the command
      tar -xvvf linuxroot.tar

wait for it to load and I will have all the 4.5 picuntu and configuration you did on my sdcard ready to be loaded. And if I ever jack it up... erase sd and run the command, like a save state!, and the good

and the good news is, you wont have to go through all those steps over and over each time (3) unless you just really wanted to.BLOGPOSTWITHPICS http://freeedwardirc.blogspot.com/
      Last edited by FreeEdward; 01-15-2014, 06:19. Reason: spelling fix, good news

Comment

Pre-configured RFS for Picuntu 4.5 (+ LibreOffice etc) for MK808 using 3.0.8+ kernel

Originally posted by FreeEdward View Post
        Allright... I did the guide... That took one LLLLOOOONNNGGG time. And here is what happens, when I run startx I get an ABI mismatch moduel 12 server ver 13. I'm trying some stuff out on my own and created a backup so If I F* up I have something to go back to. How do I fix it?

Also.. I have a request for the guy who made this. I want you to create a .tar backup of linuxroot after you get it to the GUI and before you make any changes to user accounts and passwords, ect. I will give you the backup commands and location to place them if you need them.

Then I want you to provide a dropbox link to the tar file for me. (and everyone). What this means...
        load the kernel and finless to device... to put it into the boot to sd mode.
        Format SD card and create any size ext4 label linuxroot (aslong as it is 4gigs or greater) part. Then mount it.
        Open terminal, CD /media/ , then run the tar restore command at that location.
        Now I will not have to follow any of this guide steps other then that if you could do this please!

I'm going to go ahead and list the commands and location to save time...
        with the SD card inserted and mounted move to mount point SO /media/linuxroot
        do a cd .. So your at /media and run the command as root
        tar -cvvf linuxroot.tar linuxroot/
        THIS WILL CREATE THE TAR FILE WE ALL NEED, please upload the tar file to a dropbox or something or contact me and we can setup a direct ftp me the file if thats allright.
        then I will insert a sdcard with an ext4 part 4gigs or larger (size dosnt matter) with label linuxroot and then navigate to /media and run the command
        tar -xvvf linuxroot.tar

wait for it to load and I will have all the 4.5 picuntu and configuration you did on my sdcard ready to be loaded. And if I ever jack it up... erase sd and run the command, like a save state!, and the good

and the good news is, you wont have to go through all those steps over and over each time (3) unless you just really wanted to.BLOGPOSTWITHPICS http://freeedwardirc.blogspot.com/
        I've uploaded a compressed tar file of my RFS to: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7R...it?usp=sharing
        The md5sum should match: 95a5f109f26924afa8951ad2d25a3e37
        The xubuntu-desktop (-Gnumeric, -AbiWord) is included + LibreOffice + cpufrequtils.
        Networking should be ready to go out-of-the-box for Ralink 2800 chipset WiFi USB adapter and/or Asix chipset USB/RJ45 adapter.
        A 512MB swap file is included but, using a 4GB microSD card, over 650MB remains free.
        I was unable to get my MK808 to boot reliably or at all with various 8.0.36+ kernels but it behaves very solidly with the pair of 3.0.8+ kernels that I've used with this RFS.
        I copied /lib/modules and /lib/firmware from justintime4tea's RFS.
        This RFS works for me but your mileage may vary. Use at your own risk or not at all!

I've also copied the ug802recovkernel.img kernel to: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7R...it?usp=sharing
        This kernel allows a range of cpufreqs from 252MHz to 1.61GHz but for stable interactive use I recommend use of the command: "sudo cpufreq-set -u 1510000" which imposes a 1.51GHz upper limit. If you anticipate any operations that can "max out" CPU use for longer than a moment, a lower maximum should be imposed to avoid overheating. An upper limit of 504000 can just about guarantee against overheating but 816000 should provide adequate protection except in extreme cases of sustained CPU load.
        Last edited by curmudgeon; 01-15-2014, 17:19.

Comment

THANK YOU!!! I downloaded the file to my linuxroot sd card that was 20Gigs and had boot set then untared the files. Plugged the sd into my mk808b and it loaded right up! I had alread loaded a kernel from the first post of the guide and it worked with it np.

As a side note the only issue I have had with these is that the recovery and picuntu is larger then the HDMI screen by a little all the way around, does anyone know how to fix this? When I boot finless it fits perfect.

EDIT: I found the fix, it was a setting in my tv with overscan. Had to set to actual pixels! HA
          Last edited by FreeEdward; 01-19-2014, 03:39. Reason: Found fix for HDMI TV

Comment

Using the right kernel is a good idea.

Originally posted by FreeEdward View Post
            THANK YOU!!! I downloaded the file to my linuxroot sd card that was 20Gigs and had boot set then untared the files. Plugged the sd into my mk808b and it loaded right up! I had alread loaded a kernel from the first post of the guide and it worked with it np.

As a side note the only issue I have had with these is that the recovery and picuntu is larger then the HDMI screen by a little all the way around, does anyone know how to fix this? When I boot finless it fits perfect.
            I have no idea how to fix your problem but the first thing I would try is to flash a 3.0.8+ kernel and use that.

Comment

I found an old Atheros AR9271 USB WLAN adapter. I've confirmed it works by successfully connecting it in Windows. How do I get it to work on my 808b running Picuntu 4.5?

I Googled and found two ar9271.fw files (one here, one here). I tried putting first one, then the other in /lib/firmware and rebooting, but wicd still can't find a wireless adapter. I get some error about firmware during boot and I can just make out the numbers 9271 before everything vanishes and the GUI loads.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Mew View Post
                I found an old Atheros AR9271 USB WLAN adapter. I've confirmed it works by successfully connecting it in Windows. How do I get it to work on my 808b running Picuntu 4.5?

I Googled and found two ar9271.fw files (one here, one here). I tried putting first one, then the other in /lib/firmware and rebooting, but wicd still can't find a wireless adapter. I get some error about firmware during boot and I can just make out the numbers 9271 before everything vanishes and the GUI loads.
                Most important: which kernel?

You can check the kernel messages with the 'dmesg' command. Before running it replug the wlan adapter.
                Logfile /var/log/syslog may also contain helpful information.

Comment

Plugging it in while in a root console (ctrl+alt+f1) showed an error about a missing htc_9271.fw. I found it here, put it in /lib/firmware, unplugged the dongle and plugged it back in, and now it's working.

I'm having another problem though - it won't switch resolution. If I use one of the two configuration utilities it briefly flashes and says it's changed. If I try xrandr it briefly flashes and reports a failure in configuring crtc 0. In neither case does the resolution actually change, though it sometimes extends the taskbar beyond the limit of the screen.

The kernel is 3.0.36+ by Galland, and yes, I did download the one for 1080p resolution.
                  Last edited by Iron Mew; 01-18-2014, 04:38.

Comment

Installing Manual

what is now the best method to bring Rome to work on my stick. Is there a guide where is described exactly what I need to do anything. Many thanks in advance. I use a usb-lan interface. Many thanks in advance

Comment

oleg's new 3.0.36 kernel

Originally posted by mo123 View Post
                      Anyone tried oleg0's new MK808 kernel with HDMI resolution scaling and 50fps in XBMC?
                      http://translate.google.com/translat...28%26st%3D2560 post 3501

Anyone tried these methods to get wifi(RK903) working on MK808B?
                      MK808B kernel with wifi https://www.miniand.com/forums/forum...768-resolution

Other info to get wifi working - http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...light=903+wifi
                      Hi mo123,
                      Well I am "trying to try" olegk0's new mk808 3.0.36
                      Downloaded his recovery.img. It is superfast and superstable!!! Then tried to add a few features (mainly 720p and usb Asix lan support). Downloaded his source from github, made .config from /proc/config.gz built Image and created recovery but got stuck on boot.
                      Would you know what initramfs to use while building with this source?
                      Also, his kernel is much smaller than mine. Any ideas?

Many thanks,
                      Goran

Comment

I successfully installed picuntu 4.5 on my MK808B. Thank you very much! It runs incredibly stable!

The only concern I have is, that i'm not able to activate any wifi, nor internal, nor my RT5370 stick. Has anyone positive experience with 3.0.36 kernel, picuntu 4.5 and wifi drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by rexxus View Post
                          I successfully installed picuntu 4.5 on my MK808B. Thank you very much! It runs incredibly stable!

The only concern I have is, that i'm not able to activate any wifi, nor internal, nor my RT5370 stick. Has anyone positive experience with 3.0.36 kernel, picuntu 4.5 and wifi drivers?
                          Never mind. My wifi device was broken. I couldn't establish a connection on my opensuse and my windows system as well.

Comment

Originally posted by sevo1984 View Post
                            Hi mo123,
                            Well I am "trying to try" olegk0's new mk808 3.0.36
                            Downloaded his recovery.img. It is superfast and superstable!!! Then tried to add a few features (mainly 720p and usb Asix lan support). Downloaded his source from github, made .config from /proc/config.gz built Image and created recovery but got stuck on boot.
                            Would you know what initramfs to use while building with this source?
                            Also, his kernel is much smaller than mine. Any ideas?

Many thanks,
                            Goran
                            Hi there

spent a couple of days getting this sources to run but also no luck. did you get it running by now?

Comment

Dear all,

I hope this thread is still alive. I have bought a mk808 v1 some months ago (at least according to http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...-identify-them it is a "v1"). After having played around with stock android for a while I decided to install Linux.

I followed exactly the description in the first post. I even searched for the old Finless ROM 1.7 in the "mk808 v1" flavour even though there is a 2.1 version out there.

I failed in step "4) Test by booting up". After having flashed the recovery I have chosen "Reboot to Recovery" in the Finless Rom reboot app. Unfortunately, my screen just displayed "no signal detected". In particular, there were no kernel boot messages :-(

I tried the installation process with other versions of Finless ROM and recovery kernels as well, but the result was always the same: "no signal detected" on my screen after the "reboot to recovery".

A big THANKYOU in advance for your help!

Best regards

Klaus

Comment

olegk0 source

Originally posted by tecfan69 View Post
                                Hi there

spent a couple of days getting this sources to run but also no luck. did you get it running by now?
                                In fact I did get it running:
                                git checkout 4e8b4a3d9e66b09aea219cbbab5ce79e735544c9
                                (date of Olegk0's last working kernel was 19.12.2013 - I simply checked out that SHA)
                                from there on everything went smooth. Extra bonus is that you can still use Oleg's original mod+fw
                                I apologize for late reply, I.ve just seen your message, and in fact it was ages ago so I stopped checking this forum.
                                As for another post (right after yours), if memory serves me well, there was a known issue of rebooting to recovery with Android Reboot App. So a proper way is to use terminal application (su, followed by "reboot recovery"

Comment

Working...
                                X