Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debian/Ubuntu for MK908 v5?

Hi

I did read some while ago that this android based mini pcs can also run debian and after some of the quadcore models became that cheap, i just decided to get one of them. My idea was to run the MK908 as a little server without a gui.

After a little searching, i found out how to install ubuntu on my device but after the install, i just got a black screen. After that i found out about the different versions of the MK908 and that i got a too new one.

I also tried some of the other custom android roms but only one of them seem to run correctly was this one http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...nless-1-7a-ROM

I am not an expert on this but could debian/ubuntu maybe work with the universal kernel of this android from above and if yes.. how? I really dont care about the wlan, bluetooth or the screen resolution, i will only have a usb lan adapter connected on my device later.

Originally posted by TomTheDragon View Post
    Hi

I did read some while ago that this android based mini pcs can also run debian and after some of the quadcore models became that cheap, i just decided to get one of them. My idea was to run the MK908 as a little server without a gui.

After a little searching, i found out how to install ubuntu on my device but after the install, i just got a black screen. After that i found out about the different versions of the MK908 and that i got a too new one.

I also tried some of the other custom android roms but only one of them seem to run correctly was this one http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...nless-1-7a-ROM

I am not an expert on this but could debian/ubuntu maybe work with the universal kernel of this android from above and if yes.. how? I really dont care about the wlan, bluetooth or the screen resolution, i will only have a usb lan adapter connected on my device later.
    You can start linux wit android kernel, but it is pretty useless as server that way:
    1. There is no text console support built into android kernel.
    2. Networking is somehow screwed (e.g suitable for android not for general linux distribution).

Because of 1, you need to prepare linux on SD, which automatically starts X-server.
    It is doable, but if you have other working device to test with.

Alternative is to get /proc/config.gz from that android kernel (if it is enabled) and based on it to compile non-android kernel with text FB support and normal networking.

Comment

the same question.
      I have install "PicUntu-4.5-BasicGUI-Nand-MK908v3" on my MK908 v5
      but it always reboot.who can help me .thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X