Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to cache to External SDcard speed up video buffering, faster and smoother video streaming.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to cache to External SDcard speed up video buffering, faster and smoother video streaming.

Originally posted by wackidth View Post
    You can copy and paste the whole file. It's all explained in the xml. What each line does.
    Every sentence where the "!" signs stands, means it's not readable for xbmc.
    Thank you for pointing me to that fix. That guide is very helpful. It is a clear guide & its only a couple of lines that are editted. Do you know if I changed the temp_cache location to external_sd, will that kill the sd's lifespan quickly?

I have a 64GB sandisk class 10 extreme microsd in sd adapter connected to minix x7. I created temp folders on root of card as guide suggests.

Edit**I think I spoke too soon. I lost all my icons for the add-ons. All the add-ons are still there & working. Just no icons.

I wonder if I did not set the right directory for the cache. I just tried to view a tv episode on "mash up" & it did buffer past the normal small amount. It now buffered all the way down the bar to the end of the 42 minute show, but I also noticed xbmc Force closed a couple of times. Any ideas?

Edit-2: Nevermind I had to change the lines to show /mnt/external_sd/xbmc_temp and /xbmc_thumbnails. Everything is fixed. Mount points are different on wasser KK Rom.
    Last edited by cyrusalmighty; 11-03-2014, 05:17.

Comment

for Kodi Beta 2+ on R89

<advancedsettings>
      <network>
      <buffermode>1</buffermode><!-- (default 0) -->
      <cachemembuffersize>209715200</cachemembuffersize><!-- default 20MB: 20971520 -->
      <!-- 64 MB = 67108864
      100 MB = 104857600
      200 MB = 209715200
      -->

<readbufferfactor>2.0</readbufferfactor>
      </network>

<!-- set the temp folder to be on the
      ****external SD Card****, eMMC doesn't like too many write cycles (longer life?)
      create folders in root: /xbmc_temp/ and /xbmc_thumbnails/ -->

<pathsubstitution>
      <substitute>
      <from>/sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/temp/</from>
      <to>/mnt/external_sd/xbmc_temp/</to>
      </substitute>
      <substitute>
      <from>/sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/Thumbnails</from>
      <to>/mnt/external_sd/xbmc_thumbnails/</to>
      </substitute>
      </pathsubstitution>
      </advancedsettings>

Comment

XBMC wont load after moving please help

I am using a minix neo 8-h
        the SD card is transcend 16gb 45MB/s SDHC
        I formatted to fat 32
        I have rooted the minix
        I have installed SD kit kat fixer
        I have installed folder mount and it moved the files.

However XMBC goes only to a blck screen when loaded.

I unmount and xbmc wont load until I reinstall.

I have tried factory resetting and starting over with same result.

Comment

is this the latest and best way to speed up buffering?

on page3 wackidith says copy/paste code?
          I have tronsmat vega s89-h and a 64 gb class 10 card. I'm sorry i'm a newbie. do I copy/paste the code he suggested without using foldermount app and not rooting device? or follow your complete instructions?

Originally posted by buhohitr View Post
          Ok, since I can't edit my original post, here is my update on the process, due to the instability of the "External 2 Internal" app, I have found another app called "Foldermount" which is very stable and working well.
          Hi all,
          After an extensive search for the answer for the below issues, I believe I found the solutions:
          a) Commoncache error if attempted to edit Advancedsettings.xml file to do path substitution to SDcard
          b) Long buffering while watching movies, specially 720/1080 movies.
          c) Looking for faster and smoother video streaming playback
          d) cache loads faster when try to click on "date release", "new movies", "all 720 movies" etc...
          e) Cache full message after buffering.

Solution (More simplify and a lot eaier to setup)

** Make sure you buy a class 10 high speed card (30mb/sec) and FORMAT with ext4 or FAT32(fat32 is slower than ext4 but it should works fine too). Also you must startup xbmc at least once in order to create xbmc folder, then do all your setup once done shutdown xbmc then proceed below:

1) Format your SDCard
          Download Fat32formatter from here http://fat32-formatter.softwareandgames.com/ and use it to format your sdcard. (your sdcard will be your normal storage and for xbmc caching.
          2) Create XBMC cache folder on the external SD Card):
          Use ES file explore or Root browser and navigate to
          /mnt/external_sd folder, then create a new folder and name it what ever you want, I named "XBMC_cache", without quote.(this folder will hold all the xbmc movie cache).
          3) Map your XBMC cache folder to the external SD Card (Only the cache folder required)
          Download an app called "Foldermount", launch the app, tab on the "+" icon to add pair. You will be prompt for the following options and you need to fill in:
          a) Give the mapping a name, I called it XBMC_data_mapping"
          b) Provide the path to the original xbmc data cache folder: /data/data/name of the xbmc folder (the name depended on what version of your xbmc you are using. For beyond XBMC, it called com.flumster.xbmc. So source path should look like this /data/data/com.flumster.xbmc
          c) Provide the path to the destination folder on the SD Card: /mnt/external_sd/xbmc_cache (this folder I created previously), then tab on the check mark at the top right to save.
          d) Once done, tab on the PIN icon, it will turn green, meaning it successfully mapped.(if not turn green, tab again)
          4) Configure your XBMC to have unlimited caching - the entire movie!
          a) If you are using Advancedsettings.xml file, which located in /sdcard/Android/data/com.flumster.xbmc (I'm using beyond xbmc) make a backup.
          b) Install xbmctalk maintenance program from Xunitytalk. After installed you should see it under PROGRAMS. Launch this, select "xbmctalk TWEAKS", then select "Add 0 cache Advanced XML". This will create a new Advancedsettings.xml file.

Reboot your device and enjoy smoother, faster movie play back by caching the entire movie to your external SD card.
          If you have any question, please don't hesitate to ask. My XBMC is really acting like playing a physical DVD, which is no more buffering, stuttering.

Comment

I will be tryimg this later

Comment

Also using a Minix X8-H

Followed all of this, and the result was wiping all of my settings etc. I guess this highlights the importance of backing up before you make significant changes.

Also, insofar as I can tell, aside from wiping my setup it has slowed things down considerably.

Further, whats the point of partitioning an SD card? at least in the case of the X8-H the other partition is not recognized (at least in the configuration I have which is 50mb FAT32 for general storage, and the ext4 with the remainder. Only the first partition shows up in ES Explorer).

Now I'm going to go eat dinner, and waste another evening messing around with this crap in the hopes I can enjoy this device sometime in the next month. Absolutely ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaedius View Post
                Also using a Minix X8-H

Followed all of this, and the result was wiping all of my settings etc. I guess this highlights the importance of backing up before you make significant changes.

Also, insofar as I can tell, aside from wiping my setup it has slowed things down considerably.

Further, whats the point of partitioning an SD card? at least in the case of the X8-H the other partition is not recognized (at least in the configuration I have which is 50mb FAT32 for general storage, and the ext4 with the remainder. Only the first partition shows up in ES Explorer).

Now I'm going to go eat dinner, and waste another evening messing around with this crap in the hopes I can enjoy this device sometime in the next month. Absolutely ridiculous.
                go waste your time somewhere else....enjoy your cr*p

Comment

:
                  3) Map your XBMC cache folder to the external SD Card (Only the cache folder required)
                  :
                  b) Provide the path to the original xbmc data cache folder: /data/data/name of the xbmc folder (the name depended on what version of your xbmc you are using. For beyond XBMC, it called com.flumster.xbmc. So source path should look like this /data/data/com.flumster.xbmc
                  :
                  Probably this is your issue.
                  Source should be:
                  /data/data/xbmc folder
                  Destination:
                  /mnt/external_sd/xbmc cache folder on sdcard.
                  Are you sure????

I looked at
                  Code:
                  data/data/org.xbmc.kodi
                  where I find
                  Code:
                  drwxrwx--x u0_a68   u0_a68            1970-01-01 19:47 cache
                  drwxrwx--x u0_a68   u0_a68            1970-01-01 19:31 files
                  lrwxrwxrwx install  install           1970-01-01 20:31 lib -> /data/app-lib/org.xbmc.kodi-1
                  But at cache I found nothing that looks like a cache-file
                  Code:
                  drwx------ u0_a68   u0_a68            1970-01-01 19:27 apk
                  -r-------- u0_a68   u0_a68      46982 1970-01-01 19:47 com.android.opengl.shaders_cache
                  etc.

BUT then I found it at
                  Code:
                  D:\1_ADB\adb>adb shell ls -al [B]/sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/temp[/B]
                  -rw-rw---- u0_a68   sdcard_r 3938910208 1970-01-01 21:01 filecache002.cache
                  -rw-rw---- u0_a68   sdcard_r    19683 1970-01-01 20:34 kodi.log
                  -rw-rw---- u0_a68   sdcard_r    27664 1970-01-01 20:27 kodi.old.log
                  drwxrwx--- u0_a68   sdcard_r          1970-01-01 19:31 temp
                  RK3288 Devices
                  - Overview BOX (LINK !)
                  - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                  UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
                  Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                  Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                  Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Thanks for the info. Will have to read all better and try this

Minix Neo X8-H Plus owner | Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just did this on my mxIII 1gb works amazing haven't had a buffer all night thanks again for the hard work

Comment

Hello to all. I'm very interested in this thread. I've tried to do it, but the foldermount doesn't work in my android box. Is there another apk to direct the path?

Comment

Working...
                        X