This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tango2pints View Post
    I have it working no problems what so ever followed the steps identically as set out and disabled master code no worries but just cannot get the fron screen to change from donations I have installed the free version on a kindle and th epaid fro version on another kindle and both look the same im really confused thanks for your help I tried your method of doing roaming but it crashes on me possibly kindles fault or mine lol
    If they both look identical then it is not us it's you, so to speak. You should have 2 files downloaded one that you got via the cart link system and the other you should have got of mediafire. The cart version should have different text in it even though they have the same file name. So you should have 2 files both called uxbmc
    and inside both, their should be a file called
    ultimate_xbmc_information_and_how_to_install
    now if you do a side by side comparison - of both files then they should look slightly different. One mentions the RSS feed and another does not (near the bottom of the page).

So if you can see the one that say's RSS feed, then that belongs to the donated version - if so, then inside that same folder is the proper .xbmc file you need to unzip to where ever you need it to go. Just make sure if you already have the free version installed, that you delete that xbmc folder first, then once deleted...
    just copy and paste (unzip) the other one to that same location and if your doing this on Windows, then remember to delete the .dot at the front of xbmc. If you can not find the file mentioning the RSS feed, then you may need to d/l the file again (you should have had an email from us talking about 120 hours and 5 download attempts) if you didn't get such an email then you did something else wrong, let us know how you get on.

UX Team
    Team UX
    http://www.ultimatexbmc.com/

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...-ULTIMATE-XBMC

Comment

Originally posted by ultimatexbmc View Post
      I am meeting with the kids on skype tonight, this is their project not mine and I will do my best to get them to do something to keep people here happier, I can only try. They do this with their own money, their own time and none of them are rich, so go easy on them and let's see what they decide to come up with. None of them are experts, none of them have been professionally trained and none of them have made a dime out of this, they are just bedroom kids still living at home with mom and pops.

We had over 150 downloads of the free version and like 6 of the other one, so leach as much as you want and complain as much as you want - but it seems to us, that some people want to try it.

So please go easy on them - please.

Team UX.
      This sounds like BS to me. You're saying your kids are doing this. Do you mind asking how old are they? On your download page one of conditions is that you must be ADULT to proceed. Are your KIDS familiar with XBMC licensing? Do they know that they MUST open their code on any request if it's not already online?
      If you find my work useful, buy me a beer
      Homepage: http://www.stane1983.com

Comment

Out of sheer curiosity, I decided to give it a whirl, so I downloaded the shareware version to use in Windows.

The first thing that I noted was that placing the .xmbc folder inside roaming was not going to work.

My current folder for the XBMC settings etc is simply called XBMC with no period in front of it, so duly renamed it.

I then loaded XBMC and was presented with the new interface and asked for a master user password.

I seemed to remember that there was a login password of 911, which I tried but this was rejected twice, with just one attempt remaining.

The main screen states that the login password is on the site but I can't see anything but the 911 reference, so unable to give anything a whirl right now.

If somebody does indeed find this version of XBMC useful and makes the appropriate donation, after they have entered whatever master password is required, is this a one off process or will they be required to enter it every time?

If the XBMC folder is then copied to other machines in the home for other family members or just for easy access on multiple machines, will the same password work on these machines?
        R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

Originally posted by bluesmanuk View Post
          Out of sheer curiosity, I decided to give it a whirl, so I downloaded the shareware version to use in Windows.

The first thing that I noted was that placing the .xmbc folder inside roaming was not going to work.

My current folder for the XBMC settings etc is simply called XBMC with no period in front of it, so duly renamed it.

I then loaded XBMC and was presented with the new interface and asked for a master user password.

I seemed to remember that there was a login password of 911, which I tried but this was rejected twice, with just one attempt remaining.

The main screen states that the login password is on the site but I can't see anything but the 911 reference, so unable to give anything a whirl right now.

If somebody does indeed find this version of XBMC useful and makes the appropriate donation, after they have entered whatever master password is required, is this a one off process or will they be required to enter it every time?

If the XBMC folder is then copied to other machines in the home for other family members or just for easy access on multiple machines, will the same password work on these machines?
          -----
          Just re-run xbmc and you will get another 3 goes, the psw is 911, the adult psw is on the site, the youngest kid is 16 - the eldest is 19 I think, Ben is the python genius. They are all FB skype mates etc. Try typing the psw in rather than using a mouse and read the guide in the zip.
          Works for everyone else - we haven't U/L a new file - so nothing could have changed.

stane1983
          Read Bob's comments on the last page.
          Team UX

Comment

-----
            Just re-run xbmc and you will get another 3 goes, the psw is 911, the adult psw is on the site, the youngest kid is 16 - the eldest is 19 I think, Ben is the python genius. They are all FB skype mates etc. Try typing the psw in rather than using a mouse and read the guide in the zip.
            Works for everyone else - we haven't U/L a new file - so nothing could have changed.

stane1983
            OK, thanks for that.

I was using the onscreen keyboard which doesn't accept the 911 password but the keyboard does, so thanks for that.

In relation to my password after having made the donation question, how does that work for use on my multiple devices and machines?

Comment

stane1983
              I saw what Bob wrote but you seem to missing the point here. If you want to make something different, I'm totally fine with it. But you cannot release something as shareware or demo or free to try or whatever when that something is freely available (in binary and sources) for all users since day 1 (initial release of XBMC was back in 2002) and officially licensed under GPLv2.

On the other hand, I'm not going to download for sure XBMC which is 900 Mb in size and only God knows what's in that package.

I'm completely aware of what Bob says about chinese and other companies taking your work and selling it with their products (I have same experiences). FYI, I'm working on XBMC improvements myself (Amlogic ARM platform) and making PRs (pull requests) to XBMC mainstream on regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by bluesmanuk View Post
                OK, thanks for that.

I was using the onscreen keyboard which doesn't accept the 911 password but the keyboard does, so thanks for that.

In relation to my password after having made the donation question, how does that work for use on my multiple devices and machines?

You are not paying us for xbmc or anything else - you are making a voluntary donation to help us out and if you want us to continue working on it.

I have no idea what equipment you have in your house - but we have said what we think it might work on, just remember that the file called - ultimate_xbmc_information_and_how_to_install -
                if you make a donation then you will get another file, with the same file name as the one above, you need to read it, and we keep telling people that after doing the profile thing - you have to press the ok button for it to save the option. You will see what we mean if you get the other version and read the above mentioned file

Glad to be of service = from Team UX
                Last edited by ultimatexbmc; 08-01-2014, 09:59.
                Team UX

Comment

Originally posted by stane1983 View Post
                  I saw what Bob wrote but you seem to missing the point here. If you want to make something different, I'm totally fine with it. But you cannot release something as shareware or demo or free to try or whatever when that something is freely available (in binary and sources) for all users since day 1 (initial release of XBMC was back in 2002) and officially licensed under GPLv2.

On the other hand, I'm not going to download for sure XBMC which is 900 Mb in size and only God knows what's in that package.

I'm completely aware of what Bob says about chinese and other companies taking your work and selling it with their products (I have same experiences). FYI, I'm working on XBMC improvements myself (Amlogic ARM platform) and making PRs (pull requests) to XBMC mainstream on regular basis.
                  We understand better than you think (we changed nothing) as such, but your smart you will figure it out
                  Team UX

Comment

I did wonder the same but on reflection, I did remember that when distributing something of this nature, whilst you are not allowed to sell it, you are able to make a charge for the distribution method.

There are a few other legal standpoints that do worry me, more for the sake of the project team than for anything else.

Whilst we know that Chinese companies do all manner of things with free work, commercially benefitting from it, they are far out of the reaches of any effective legal challenges.

Luckily I have a neighbour that is a barrister, so have asked them to look at the wordings etc to ensure that things do comply with UK law and to offer some advice on areas that could be potentially problematical.

From what I have seen of the shareware version, it's rather good and can see all the hard work that has gone into it's creation, so would like it to be of use for those that will benefit from it.

Comment

This sounds like BS to me. You're saying your kids are doing this. Do you mind asking how old are they? On your download page one of conditions is that you must be ADULT to proceed. Are your KIDS familiar with XBMC licensing? Do they know that they MUST open their code on any request if it's not already online?
                      I was just thinking the same thing. He was quick to give install tips without saying 'let me ask the kids'

Comment

Originally posted by tampametal View Post
                        I was just thinking the same thing. He was quick to give install tips without saying 'let me ask the kids'
                        I don't need to asks the kids anything I am older and wiser than many and I know this project inside out.
                        Team UX

Comment

Originally posted by JustMe View Post
                          Wow I just wasted 3 pages and 20 minutes reading garbage, when i could of spent that reading constructive posts

JustMe
                          Pitty
                          MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post
                            Pitty
                            ]
                            Everyone working on GPL projects (Android roms, xbmc) should also release their source code on github. There are some on the forum that ignore it, so people like me don;t want to improve existing roms because they would have to find all fixes again from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by MikelThief View Post
                              ]
                              Everyone working on GPL projects (Android roms, xbmc) should also release their source code on github. There are some on the forum that ignore it, so people like me don;t want to improve existing roms because they would have to find all fixes again from scratch.
                              I agree with you. But there is catch... Chinese companies are violating GPL (most of them) and who ever wants to work with their products must comply to SLA they signed with eg Amlogic, Rockchip, Allwinner...

I'm in same situation. I'm specialized in custom rom development for Amlogic platform for 3 years now and thats basically what I'm living of. Now if I decide to release something that would violate SLA it would be bad for me, correct?

On my github are mostly up to date amlogic kernels for all their 8726 series platforms (m1, m3, mx and m8), as well as xbmc frodo and gotham 13.1. I'm publishing what I'm allowed to publish. Eg, initial support for 4k playback on amlogic m8 platform in xbmc was my pull request.

Comment

Their implementation of the 'donations' may have upset some but the reality is that many people are trying to monetize their 'know how' relating to Android or XBMC...'Jailbroken' Apple Tv's sell for$350 instead of $99...Both major unofficial XBMC forums have their own unique XBMC Boxes for sale with their 'special' sauce..One group is charging for a EPG...
                                The reality is that millions of people dont care about how XBMC on Android ,Pc or AppleTv works. They dont want to spend hours tweaking and fiddling with roms or advanced settings and zero cache tweaks. They just want to plug the box in and watch content. They consider whatever they pay for these packages or boxes to be worth the time saved. So yes the 'donations' are flawed but dont undermine the fact that getting these roms and xbmc configurations working require hard work and lots of hours. The purchaser ultimately decides if its worth the price of admission...Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
                                X