This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Android low memory solutions

You can free up memory on limited memory systems - so if you're using systems with a small amount of nand storage then you can grab some memory back by doing the following. To do this you just need to click on "Ultimate xbmc" on the main screen then on "install more addons etc" - then click on "Purge packages" and then on the "clear cache" button, this should free up some memory.

Hope this helps.
    Team UX
    http://www.ultimatexbmc.com/

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...-ULTIMATE-XBMC

Comment

Had it on test for a while

Rather brilliant once you get used to it, this must have taken some setting up - so well done.
      I tried setting up xbmc many times and it always ended up twisting my noodle, so this was the easiest solution I have ever seen. Unzip and done - not sure it get's any easier really - so go team UX and don't let the haters or people who don't appreciate hard work get to you, you did a great job.

And to the people who think ripping them off makes them into some kind of community good guy, it really doesn't. Do your own work, it's easy to copy, but a lot harder to come up with something like this. Team UX get's my vote, lame copy cat's do not.

Comment

Originally posted by gollygosh View Post
        Rather brilliant once you get used to it, this must have taken some setting up - so well done.
        I tried setting up xbmc many times and it always ended up twisting my noodle, so this was the easiest solution I have ever seen. Unzip and done - not sure it get's any easier really - so go team UX and don't let the haters or people who don't appreciate hard work get to you, you did a great job.

And to the people who think ripping them off makes them into some kind of community good guy, it really doesn't. Do your own work, it's easy to copy, but a lot harder to come up with something like this. Team UX get's my vote, lame copy cat's do not.

What do you think that open source is all about?

The people over at XBMC.org have been developing the software for years and many people have created all manner of addons and plugins with hard work.

So by your logic, anybody that has come up with a customised version is a lame copy cat.

This is simply not the case though, so your logic is, I'm afraid, fundamentally flawed on every level.

Taking things further is all part and part of what the open source community is all about.

Just look at the many flavour of ROM's and Linux out there for the reality of how things work.
        R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

Originally posted by bluesmanuk View Post
          What do you think that open source is all about?

The people over at XBMC.org have been developing the software for years and many people have created all manner of addons and plugins with hard work.

So by your logic, anybody that has come up with a customised version is a lame copy cat.

This is simply not the case though, so your logic is, I'm afraid, fundamentally flawed on every level.

Taking things further is all part and part of what the open source community is all about.

Just look at the many flavour of ROM's and Linux out there for the reality of how things work.

I was talking about another comment that just annoyed me no end and I know I am not the only one. I can appreciate customization, but to just stomp in and say nothing good about this level of attention to detail then say basically screw you lot, I find to be in bad taste.

Comment

Thanks - nice to know you like it.
            Team UX

Comment

Originally posted by gollygosh View Post
              I was talking about another comment that just annoyed me no end and I know I am not the only one. I can appreciate customization, but to just stomp in and say nothing good about this level of attention to detail then say basically screw you lot, I find to be in bad taste.
              It still doesn't alter the fact that the whole concept of open source is for somebody to do whatever they like with what somebody else may have done and take it forward.

You seem to be rather over defensive about the criticism of others, which seems to be surrounding the donation aspect of this.

This over defensiveness lead me to do a little digging and after looking at other posts of yours around the site and the location of the ultimatexbmc site registration, my cynical view would be that you are one of the developers that is getting rattled at the prospect of somebody else taking your work and using the open source ethics to maintain it's complete freedom.

I'm afraid that I think that yourself and the OP are trying too hard to defend things from criticism by maintaining what looks like distance on the outside.

The fact that you do what you do in the manner that you do it will always be the subject of critical scrutiny but rather than try too hard to defend it, potentially making things look suspicious, just stick by your guns, be happy and honest about the fact that this is a money making exercise and let those who criticise do so.

One bottom line is that people are free to pay or not.
              R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

500+ downloads of the free version and only 14 donations - come on people.
                Team UX

Comment

Originally posted by Ginetta View Post
                  I have modified UltimateXBMC to work under the current Kodi Alpha as well As Gotham.

I've also stripped out all the password and nag stuff, so that it will work without restriction of any kind.

Added a few extra plugins that are useful and tidied up what for me is a muddled interface to make it cleaner, whilst still having access to everything.

Once I have finished testing over the next couple of days, I'll be posting it up to the net, with no donation requested or even an option to do so.

Gratis and for free full stop.
                  Thanks for the sensible suggestions & not selling open source & free xbmc + free add-ons as donation proper version or else end up with the free version.

Comment

Selling Free Software

Some views on the ideas of selling exceptions to free software licenses, such as the GNU GPL are also available.
                    Many people believe that the spirit of the GNU Project is that you should not charge money for distributing copies of software, or that you should charge as little as possible—just enough to cover the cost. This is a misunderstanding.
                    Actually, we encourage people who redistribute free software to charge as much as they wish or can. If this seems surprising to you, please read on.

Enough said
                    Team UX

Comment

Originally posted by ultimatexbmc View Post
                      Selling Free Software

Some views on the ideas of selling exceptions to free software licenses, such as the GNU GPL are also available.
                      Many people believe that the spirit of the GNU Project is that you should not charge money for distributing copies of software, or that you should charge as little as possible—just enough to cover the cost. This is a misunderstanding.
                      Actually, we encourage people who redistribute free software to charge as much as they wish or can. If this seems surprising to you, please read on.

Enough said
                      Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by washere View Post
                        Interesting.
                        So take our version which is emantly more useful than a vanilla build to most end users and sell it, do whatever you like with it, we have no legal way to stop you under the terms of GPL.

All of you should understand that the spirit of the licence as drawn up by the people who came up with it, want you to do this. It's the only way free software usually ends up in the hands of users anyway, so go spread it far and wide, make yourselves a fortune, we say go for it, you have are blessing, just like everyone else who truly understands the licence.

Bob understands and so do many others here, but sometimes it needs spelling out, so go get rich and feel good about doing it. Hell we should not even offer a free version, we should have just charged you all.

Good night and please just appreciate what we all did for YOU, 1000's of hours of work, for no money and WE knew what the license said before we did this, so all the people who didn't get this project, hopefully now do and if you still hate us, then read the license again. ORG and the rest all know this and now so do you.

UX team -tired and knackered trying to give you stuff for free.
                        Team UX

Comment

Note to all 2 times moderators have said same. so lose the comments and comment on the software or input on making better we all have our opinions (just like asses So move on if your not posting regarding the use and betterment of this software. not much more can be said, if you dont wana donate dont if you do great if you feel the need to express your views about paying (no one really gives a crap.)

Keep having at it. uxbmc.

regards.

Dont wish to see any more floggin as they have obviously put lot of work into this software. and would hate to see it abandoned because of this.
                          Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

So take our version which is emantly more useful than a vanilla build to most end users and sell it, do whatever you like with it, we have no legal way to stop you under the terms of GPL.

All of you should understand that the spirit of the licence as drawn up by the people who came up with it, want you to do this. It's the only way free software usually ends up in the hands of users anyway, so go spread it far and wide, make yourselves a fortune, we say go for it, you have are blessing, just like everyone else who truly understands the licence.

Bob understands and so do many others here, but sometimes it needs spelling out, so go get rich and feel good about doing it. Hell we should not even offer a free version, we should have just charged you all.

Good night and please just appreciate what we all did for YOU, 1000's of hours of work, for no money and WE knew what the license said before we did this, so all the people who didn't get this project, hopefully now do and if you still hate us, then read the license again. ORG and the rest all know this and now so do you.

UX team -tired and knackered trying to give you stuff for free.
                            I won't be selling xbmc or any other open source or anyone's code.

Comment

Originally posted by washere View Post
                              I won't be selling xbmc or any other open source or anyone's code.
                              Your hurting the community you say your defending.
                              Open source means we produced this stuff basically for free, but as the license states, we know there is a cost in the re-distribution of this stuff and we don't think that cost should be carried by the re-distributer. The originators of the software want it spread, otherwise there is no point in producing it. Also this is the only real way innovation can happen in the open source community. If nobody can afford to re-distripute, then this stuff goes nowhere, the license was drawn up to make this clear.

If you have an issue with GPL policy take it up with the official body, not us.

UX team.
                              Team UX

Comment

Re: ULTIMATE XBMC

Your hurting the community you say your defending.
                                Open source means we produced this stuff basically for free, but as the license states, we know there is a cost in the re-distribution of this stuff and we don't think that cost should be carried by the re-distributer. The originators of the software want it spread, otherwise there is no point in producing it. Also this is the only real way innovation can happen in the open source community. If you have an issue with GPL policy take it up with the official body, not us.

UX team.
                                It seems at this point you're the one having issues with the GPL policy. His independent contribution to the derivative works of ultimatexbmc may not be a welcome contribution from your profit-driven perspective, but it is indeed a contribution nonetheless, regardless of whether you choose to sanction or approve of it.

If accessibility and distribution are part of your mission, it should follow that you welcome his work as it is only going to further the reaches of the distribution - at no extra cost to you.

If distribution costs are what you sought and are still seeking to recoup, then you have no beef; the work is being distributed without you having to pay for the distribution.

Everyone should be happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X